What's new

Should we be concerned with this stat?

jope

Is Tyrone producing an offense that creates opportunities for easy buckets?

2012-13 (Coach Ty)
# of players shooting >50% from the floor
1 (kanter)

2011-12 (Ty)
1 (Evans)

2010-11 (Sloan/Ty)
3 (evans, millsap, favors, {4 if you count M. Cousin's 3 fga})

2009-10 (Sloan)
4 (Boozer, Millsap, Fes, AK)

2008-09 (Sloan)
4 (Koufus, Brewer, Millsap, Fes)

2007-08 (Sloan)
6 (Brewer, Boozer, Deron, AK, Millsap, Harpring)

Is this a product of Ty/Al Ball or something else? I've just noticed for the last couple years there haven't been many easy buckets to be had

Jazz had two things from 2007-2010 that very few teams if any had:

1-A pass first PG who also had the ability to break down any guard in the league
2-A Center that can hit a shot with a hand in his face from 26 feet.

This opened up the floor for marginal players like Brewer and Harpring while making a solid offensive player like Boozer look like an All Star

I think it's a product of not having an offensive system (I don't consider Alfense an offensive system).

Corbin has tried just about everything. Find a play from another team and I'll point out where Ty has tried it.

Examples: He tried the triangle a little bit this season after I recommended it here (deeper wing entry with two cutters, and Sap bearing down weak side). Last summer I put up screenshots of the Jazz running the exact same plays as Popovich.

It's a talent problem, not system issues.

Corbin has tried just about everything. Find a play from another team and I'll point out where Ty has tried it.

Examples: He tried the triangle a little bit this season after I recommended it here (deeper wing entry with two cutters, and Sap bearing down weak side). Last summer I put up screenshots of the Jazz running the exact same plays as Popovich.

the confusing thing is millsap was >50% every year with sloan, and none of the years with ty

the confusing thing is millsap was >50% every year with sloan, and none of the years with ty

4.9, 6.1, 9.9, 8.7, 13, 13.51 11.7 That's Millsap's FGA. It's normal to suffer some drop in FG% with the increase in attempts. Other thing is that Millsap's Orb has dropped and there aren't enough of those high percentage shots. The other problem is that indeed Paul is put into isolation to work form the post, mid post more. I don't like that casue not the biggest fan of isolation when facing the basket and it does hurt is FG%.

these posts aren't as enjoyable when we can't see your finely tuned beard. Please revert to your old avatar.

these posts aren't as enjoyable when we can't see your finely tuned beard. Please revert to your old avatar.

Funny thing is I can totally imagine Ty saying "**** it, pass to Al" after one or two unsuccessful attempts at trying something different.

That would only set HH back pestering..

Funny thing is I can totally imagine Ty saying "**** it, pass to Al" after one or two unsuccessful attempts at trying something different.

The last three weeks or so, the Jazz have been running much more elaborate sets with Al being the recipient after other options are passed on. Especially in clutch 4th quarter. You can see the post play develop and start cursing, then realize all the extra movement actually makes Al more efficient even with less time to work.

Corbin hasn't been able to build up these plays in the past due to a lack of continuity combined with young players. Hayward is coming along well, making it easier to do more things. Foye has learned a lot. The point guard spot has been troubling to build an offense with.

The last three weeks or so, the Jazz have been running much more elaborate sets with Al being the recipient after other options are passed on. Especially in clutch 4th quarter. You can see the post play develop and start cursing, then realize all the extra movement actually makes Al more efficient even with less time to work.
Al and Marvin are incredibly sloppy executing anything. Jamaal can't handle the load/responsibility of being a starter. You run some lazy **** off the ball, and you end up back where you were in the first place, only with less time on the shot clock. Can't tell if Marvin tightens things up in crunch time, as he's usually on the bench at that point. Al focuses in at the end of games, and executes more precisely/decisively. The bench executes at a much higher level consistently through the first 3+ quarters of the game, even with Earl Watson running the point (the bench was much more effective with Jamaal early in the season). To a degree, getting players to compete/execute is the coach's job. I think he's done a good job with the young guys (who play hungry), so maybe some of the vets are unreachable.

Al and Marvin are incredibly sloppy executing anything. Jamaal can't handle the load/responsibility of being a starter. You run some lazy **** off the ball, and you end up back where you were in the first place, only with less time on the shot clock. Can't tell if Marvin tightens things up in crunch time, as he's usually on the bench at that point. Al focuses in at the end of games, and executes more precisely/decisively. The bench executes at a much higher level consistently through the first 3+ quarters of the game, even with Earl Watson running the point (the bench was much more effective with Jamaal early in the season). To a degree, getting players to compete/execute is the coach's job. I think he's done a good job with the young guys (who play hungry), so maybe some of the vets are unreachable.

Corbin doesn't have the fiery personality coaching style that Jefferson probably needs. They're a bad fit and just one more reason to move on this summer. Jefferson badly needs someone in his ear when he loafs on defense and to be sat after a good public *** reaming. That's not Ty's strong suit.

----

Another possibility on offensive execution is that the Jazz are probably taking more play risks during the first three and a half quarters as they try to add new plays into the repertoire while growing the youth. They then focus on Jefferson during the last five minutes when every shot counts. Of course he's going to be more focused when a game is on the line. Everyone should be.

Either way, the offense is steadily growing and becoming more dynamic. Sloan's system took time and required continuity from 2-3 strong players (as every offense does). Let's hope Hayward, Kanter and Favors are those guys or one more can be added in time for this group to grow and peak together.

I think it's a product of not having an offensive system (I don't consider Alfense an offensive system).

Our offense would really be in trouble at the end of games without Hayward. Dumping the ball down to Al, and the other players just sit there.
When Mo comes back it will help a bit.

Four top ten picks, two of the top five FA big men, and lottery picks are on this team. And that doesn't include Mo Williams or Carroll.

It's not a talent problem. We have talent on this team. A LOT of talent. We don't play our talent and our coach doesn't know how to use that talent.