What's new

So... who is going to replace Ricky?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
This ain't workin. I haven't looked but I'm guessing almost all of our many terrible losses this year were in games where Bricky was bad. He might be great down the stretch like last year but even so, what is our end game? And can we get there with a lackluster regular season win %/playoff seeding?

How much is he bringing us down?

I don't want to sound too negative on Ricky. I love his effort and I love watching him play. He's like a tornado out there. He's tough and he's fearless. But his shooting...

The Jazz should look at George Hill or Goran Dragic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't care. I don't want to see him play another minute for the Jazz. I haven't hated watching a Jazz PG this much since Trey Burke.

Rubio has some nights when he's solid and others where he's nearly unplayable. It's frustrating. It's hard to find good PGs.
The league is overflowing with them. We just can't to be a team that has one when teams often have more than one.

As to the question, I don't really know. But this team's offense wasn't really designed for a traditional 1.

Worst case scenario, you have Mitchell do it but spread around who initiated offense.

This is also the argument for drafting Allen, I think. Maybe he could play some?

Golden State Warrior's point guard gave their game away tonight maybe we can buy low and give them Rubio and a 1st for him

Depending on what's available in the market, the Jazz might be better off playing Mitchell at the 1 and having another wing on the floor who can run the offense and share the load.
Mitchell can't play the one at all with his current game. I said this in another thread but the Exum/3shooter/Favs lineup was originally ran with Mitchell in the first couple of games after the Korver acquisition but it never worked because Mitchell tunnel visions in a PnR and just looks for his shot all the time. Exum is making it go because he doesn't necessarily try to force his shot all the time and everyone is involved more.

I'm not sure what the answer is at point guard but I do know that my biggest fear is re-signing Rubio. He looks great sometimes but when he's bad he's REALLY bad. It's not just the missed shots, it's also the way defenses sag way off of him and dare him to shoot and the turnovers. I do agree with some of the others though that Mitchell is nowhere near ready to be a full time point guard.

Monte Morris.
Lighting fast guy who's not afraid of the moment. Can really shoot the ball and run the offense. A calm and collected PG making right decisions. Elite bball IQ.
Can be our new George Hill with more toughness.

8767193.jpg

BTW while DL is busy with wasting 2nd round picks, DEN keeps hitting gold with them. Jokic and now Morris, wow.

I find this game vs the 76ers really strange. For the first several posessions Rubio didn't even touch the ball which is weird, because it felt like it was part of our gameplan. By the time he got the ball he looked out of rhythm, cold. I'm not blaming QS. I'm just pointing out that some days he starts the game 100mph shooting, assisting or turning the ball over, but this time he didn't even touch the ball for 5 minutes.

The thing that disappoints me the most about his game in Utah is not his shooting, it's his passing. His passing isn't half as good as it was in Minnesota. He's got more talented and veteran players around, but for some reason he doesn't make the quality passes he made, plus he turns the ball over more than ever. He was considered a wizard for his jaw-dropping passes, but now? Just above-average passes mixed with too many turnovers.

Years ago, when he wasn't a threat to shoot at all and his %s were atrocious, he took twice as many risks with his passes, averaged almost 10 assists/game and turned the ball just over 2/game. Now that he's got decent shooting %s he takes half the risks, averages half the assists, and turns the ball over almost 4 times/game. WTF?

Yet another pathetic effort to put all the blame on Rubio when our bigs have 0 range. Makes sense.

I don’t think anyone is putting all the blame on Rubio. Hell, a thread or two has been started calling out Mitchell. But, uh, yeah, a guard needs to be able to hit some ****ing shots. They’re guards. And quite frankly, it’s pathetic that you’re gonna scapegoat bigs like Crowder who’s built like a ****ing Mack truck and shooting better from deep than Rubio, or Favors who’s damn near 7 feet and shooting better from the long 2 than Rubio. ****ing spare me. I like Rubio but **** man, he’s a ****ing guard shooting like Stevie Wonder. It’s the ****ing NBA. Maybe hit a shot.

I don’t think anyone is putting all the blame on Rubio. Hell, a thread or two has been started calling out Mitchell. But, uh, yeah, a guard needs to be able to hit some ****ing shots. They’re guards. And quite frankly, it’s pathetic that you’re gonna scapegoat bigs like Crowder who’s built like a ****ing Mack truck and shooting better from deep than Rubio, or Favors who’s damn near 7 feet and shooting better from the long 2 than Rubio. ****ing spare me. I like Rubio but **** man, he’s a ****ing guard shooting like Stevie Wonder. It’s the ****ing NBA. Maybe hit a shot.

I’m just joining the overreacting fun, it was irony about our bigs. The point is this seems to have turned into a personal Exum vs. Rubio debate for some. If Exum keeps improving to the point that he’s starting PG caliber and it brings us more wins I’m all for it. But right now it’s unrealistic for them to switch roles after this loss.

Our issues don't all fall on Rubio. They fall on the lack of another good offensively minded player. We have so many solid role players, but none of them can create a bucket.

We need to be using Thabo, Udoh, Neto and picks to acquire an offensive minded piece. We should hang on to Rubio and Favors for the time being although I'm not sure we bring either back next season.

Bazemore, Simmons, Dotson come to mind.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app