What's new

Social Housing Report

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
When I first started reading this I thought FFS th ese people don't understand segregation and America's purposeful creation of ghettos? Then later on I see the authors don't want that at all.

It's an interesting concept but it's built on false premises. First, even after the huge housing reflation housing still remains well affordable to the middle class. Mentioning the upper middle class was dumb. Second, America has the land mass of Europe. What might be an issue in 1 State is not in another anymore than an issue in Germany being the same problem in France or Italy. Third, construction is booming and th e private sector is soon to compete on rents pretty hard. Add in th e fact that low end wages are rising while rents may well stagnate and you have a built in solution without all th e government inefficiencies.

I mean, yes, but anything in Jacobin is probably not going to get much traction in this country right now.

In America there is an love of big and space.

Personally, when I go to retire I’m looking at buying one of those micro houses and a small parcel of land. Like a 1/4 or 1/2 acre. My time will be spent traveling ang seeing all the sights I haven’t got to yet.

Thumbs down on government housing projects for me.

I agree but at least this proposal is reasonable and attempts to account for many unintended consequences and variabl es.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46295712&n...-becoming-less-affordable-along-wasatch-front

There is a ton of apartment construction going on along the Wasatch front. There are well over 2,000 new units out towards the airport where nobody wants to live. The area is already full of crack motels and Rio Grand shutdown has pushed so many homeless into the area.

Utah County has seen a huge apartment boom. CAP rates are under pressure and companies are on the Red's Queens Race. Rent prices are under serious pressure.

Davis county is a ********. People only live there out of necessity, commuting to SLC. Cheaper housing is still plenty affordable. It's the upstate New York commuter economy. Old as dirt economic situation.

There are two sides to this coin. In NJ, housing is crazy expensive. One of my co-workers is going through a divorce. She had to find an apartment and basically the cheapest two bedroom for her and her two kids that she could find was about $1,600 a month. It’s in an okay town but it’s not a nicer complex. Not sure how a single mom can pay for that, a car, car insurance, gas, food, clothing, tv and internet (she has kids and as teachers, we need internet), utilities and so forth. And that doesn’t even mention saving for retirement.

It’s sort of insane.

The flipside is, who the **** wants to live in government housing? Too much riff raff for me. I’d rather pay an extra $500 a month and have a sense of security and solitude.

I agree but at least this proposal is reasonable and attempts to account for many unintended consequences and variabl es.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46295712&n...-becoming-less-affordable-along-wasatch-front

There is a ton of apartment construction going on along the Wasatch front. There are well over 2,000 new units out towards the airport where nobody wants to live. The area is already full of crack motels and Rio Grand shutdown has pushed so many homeless into the area.

Utah County has seen a huge apartment boom. CAP rates are under pressure and companies are on the Red's Queens Race. Rent prices are under serious pressure.

Davis county is a ********. People only live there out of necessity, commuting to SLC. Cheaper housing is still plenty affordable. It's the upstate New York commuter economy. Old as dirt economic situation.
I have mixed feelings about it in SLC. We pay so much in taxes to for low income housing in SLC. As a home owner that can be really frustrating. I feel like the problem would take care of itself. People live in really nice apartments downtown SLC for very low prices because of the low income housing.

In America there is an love of big and space.

Personally, when I go to retire I’m looking at buying one of those micro houses and a small parcel of land. Like a 1/4 or 1/2 acre. My time will be spent traveling ang seeing all the sights I haven’t got to yet.

I have 2.5 acres and it's perfect.

I have mixed feelings about it in SLC. We pay so much in taxes to for low income housing in SLC. As a home owner that can be really frustrating. I feel like the problem would take care of itself. People live in really nice apartments downtown SLC for very low prices because of the low income housing.
There are two sides to this coin. In NJ, housing is crazy expensive. One of my co-workers is going through a divorce. She had to find an apartment and basically the cheapest two bedroom for her and her two kids that she could find was about $1,600 a month. It’s in an okay town but it’s not a nicer complex. Not sure how a single mom can pay for that, a car, car insurance, gas, food, clothing, tv and internet (she has kids and as teachers, we need internet), utilities and so forth. And that doesn’t even mention saving for retirement.

It’s sort of insane.

The flipside is, who the **** wants to live in government housing? Too much riff raff for me. I’d rather pay an extra $500 a month and have a sense of security and solitude.

These.

Upstate New Yorkers pay crazy property taxes. Something like $1000 a month in towns as small as 3,000 homes is common. That's all part of the financial location calculation there (commuters).

I'm cool with government funded projects but it should be locally driven and do everything possible to reduce unintended consequences and government waste, which is inevitable.

It’s sort of insane.

Is she hot?

FWIW I have seen reports of some cities doing this with pretty solid success, I want to say one article I read was about San Antonio. They started a project to provide housing to homeless people, and it wasn't like "the projects" type stuff. They were usually small homes in residential neighborhoods, like "normal" people if you will. They found that it had a real impact on both homelessness and on these people getting jobs and starting to improve their lives. I should try to find one of the articles but I am too lazy. I cannot believe I typed this much already. Damn I'm tired.

FWIW I have seen reports of some cities doing this with pretty solid success, I want to say one article I read was about San Antonio. They started a project to provide housing to homeless people, and it wasn't like "the projects" type stuff. They were usually small homes in residential neighborhoods, like "normal" people if you will. They found that it had a real impact on both homelessness and on these people getting jobs and starting to improve their lives. I should try to find one of the articles but I am too lazy. I cannot believe I typed this much already. Damn I'm tired.

I heard Salt lake City has a similar program.

Yes and they are expanding it. But the homeless problem in SLC is as bad as its ever been.

A question of percentages? As in, less than 1% of the homeless get into the program right now, so it doesn't affect the rate? Or something else?

A question of percentages? As in, less than 1% of the homeless get into the program right now, so it doesn't affect the rate? Or something else?
There is a lot to this but SLC has been claiming that they have got 90% of homeless in SLC into homes of varying sorts. I dont know what the percentages of homeless people that are in free apartments but we are spending a lot on it and just earmarked a lot more money because we are shutting down the main homeless shelter soon and going to multiple smaller shelters spread out.

The way they define chronic homelessness is pretty vague. They also are not having success with people getting on their feet even after being given a free apartment. There are not checks for the people in apartments and they are not getting off drugs and not getting jobs. It has also lead to more homeless people from other cities and even other states coming to SLC.

One of the main problems is that most cities in Utah do nothing for homeless and leave it up to SLC to try and take care of. While the big city should carry a heavier load it is not reasonable to make them cover the vast majority of homeless. It leads to too many problems.

Like Fish mentioned the biggest problem in Utah is the addiction problem a large percentage of homeless have. We need to stop criminalizing addicts and provide them with help to get off their addiction, get them mental health care and then we can try and help with getting them back on their feet home and work wise.

SLC has just enjoyed the media and money attention or claims to having cured chronic homelessness created. It was never true and the number of people on the streets have grown.

Now SLC has cracked down with a very expensive and very invasive police presence near the shelter. While there are advantages to that and the area should be policed they have simply driven a lot of the homeless people away from the shelter and to different parts of the city.

That was just some of my rambling about it. Personally I very much dislike SLC's mayor and her decisions on this issue. Although she does seem like a good nice person she does not seem like a good Mayor. But maybe I was just spoiled because I moved from Provo where one of the best Mayors ever was at the time.

We made a huge mess of the War on Drugs (focusing on criminalization instead of treatment) beginning in the 1980s, and we are paying the price now. Certainly not an easy fix.

I think drug abuse (mainly opioids) has a lot to do with the homeless problem.
This is definitely true. My family and I did a service project delivering burritos to the homeless last summer. The situation we saw was desperately bad. Hundreds of people are stumbling around like zombies, and that's not an exaggeration. If you don't believe me take a walk through Pioneer Park (don't just park your car and watch from a safe distance). Talk to the people. Look into their eyes. I couldn't believe what we saw.