What's new

Source: T-Wolves Trying to unload Jefferson

David Stern

However, the most consistent thing I'm hearing is that the team appears to be determined to move Al Jefferson. According to sources they've offered him to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince this week and have also contacted the Pacers about their interest in Jefferson for Troy Murphy's expiring contract.

https://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/17014/wolves-burning-up-the-phones

If they want Troy Murphy, wouldn't they love a player like Andrei Kirilenko who is an even better expiring? Maybe they'll dump Flynn to us too? My proposed deal:

AK+9 to Minnesota for Jefferson+4. Get er done KOC.

jazz arent going to get a better draft pick and player then what they are giving out, the other deals swirling around are for the wolves to move up in the draft with a 2nd higher pick and the other team taking on 16 and/or 23.

Jefferson is crap. The only reason to do this is to get #4 and even then I'm not sure.

I cannot emphasize enough that Jefferson is a total crap player.

Not to mention a good shot blocker that would be great in Sloan's system. This is the same Al Jefferson that Jazz fans have been kicking KOC over not drafting for years. The guy can play. I would do a Jefferson +4 for AK +9 any day.

He's a horrendous passer. Total blackhole. As bad or worse a defender than Boozer. Only plays low-post and doesn't have much more than that weird hook shot and canning wide-open 12-15 footers. His pick-and-roll game is non-existent, and his back to the basket game is not very good save for when his weird hook shot is going down.

For people that rail on Boozer for what he doesn't do, Jefferson is easily twice as bad. Easily.

Good shot-blocker? 1.low BPG is a good shot-blocker? I guess this all means that Amare Stoudemire is a good defender as well.

Here's a brain-buster; If Jefferson's so great, why are and why have the Timberwolves been trying to get rid of him?

He's a horrendous passer. Total blackhole. As bad or worse a defender than Boozer. Only plays low-post and doesn't have much more than that weird hook shot and canning wide-open 12-15 footers. His pick-and-roll game is non-existent, and his back to the basket game is not very good save for when his weird hook shot is going down.

For people that rail on Boozer for what he doesn't do, Jefferson is easily twice as bad. Easily.

Agreed. With how much people complained and moaned about Boozer, Jefferson would be even worse.

Before his knee injury that he was still recovering from last year He was averaging 23 ppg 11 rpg and 1.7 blocks per game. He is 2 years younger than Boozer and in the right system could be a great player. I disagree that he is a crap player. Maybe not the Ideal player, but not crap.

... in the right system could be a great player. I disagree that he is a crap player. Maybe not the Ideal player, but not crap.

He was a great player in the Timberwolves system (before his injury and he's going to have a big year this season), the Jazz system would make him shine. And he would be better than anyone we draft at 9.

Last edited:
I like the trade idea.
You lose AK's albatross of a contract for next year
You get a C/PF would was close to 20/10 who is still only 25
You actually save money for next season.
Have to bite the bullet a little on 11/12 season. But then Memo would be expiring and you might be able to move him at that point.
You could have a front line of Okur Cousins Millsap Jefferson. I think that vastly improves the chances against the Lakers.

Jefferson may not a be a night and day better defender but at least he isn't an undersized 4 playing a 7 foot Gasol like Millsap or Boozer were.

Good shot-blocker? 1.low BPG is a good shot-blocker? I guess this all means that Amare Stoudemire is a good defender as well.

Here's a brain-buster; If Jefferson's so great, why are and why have the Timberwolves been trying to get rid of him?

I think it has to do more with injuries than him being total crap.

and the point would be to compare (Jefferson + #4Cousins) to (AK + #9Babbit?) It is not a head-to-head Boozer vs Jefferson evaluation. (And for the record, worrying about who JazzFanzz biotch about is pointless. JazzFannzz biotch about every situation (except if a the 13th player on your team belts out "Boom Bitches" on a put back...)

What's Jefferson's contract? if it is 'reasonable' then let's get moving on this. Problem is, trades are for non-direct compteting teams. Minny and Utah trade seems unlikely. Utah and Philly are partners for two reasons - so far apart as competitors and KOC history.

and the point would be to compare (Jefferson + #4Cousins) to (AK + #9Babbit?) It is not a head-to-head Boozer vs Jefferson evaluation. (And for the record, worrying about who JazzFanzz biotch about is pointless. JazzFannzz biotch about every situation (except if a the 13th player on your team belts out "Boom Bitches" on a put back...)

What's Jefferson's contract? if it is 'reasonable' then let's get moving on this. Problem is, trades are for non-direct compteting teams. Minny and Utah trade seems unlikely. Utah and Philly are partners for two reasons - so far apart as competitors and KOC history.

AK is owed 17.9 for next year
Jefferson is owed 13,14 and 15 over the next three = 42 total

Jefferson's contract is not reasonable IMO. He is due $13M this year, $14M next, and $15M in 2012-13. I've never been sold on him. I mean, should the Jazz have drafted him over Humphries? Absolutely. But should they pick him up several years later at that price tag? Not sure. I think he puts up huge numbers in part because he's with a sucky team with no other options.

He went from one of the worst teams in the NBA (the Celtics) to what became one of the worst teams in the NBA (the T-Wolves). Even though his production has been better than KG's, mysterious that his teams ALWAYS ****-ING SUCK.

That's what crap players do to teams. They demand touches, aren't terribly efficient, and don't know when to give up the ball to a team-mate. It's also pretty well-known that Jefferson is one of the worst defensive bigs in the NBA. Crap player.

The Timberwolves are rightfully trying to get rid of him, and it's not because Kevin Love is the next Karl Malone.

Yes it was Jefferson's fault they had a horrible team. I mean look at who they had starting last year? Gomes, Flynn, Darko, Brewer, Jefferson/Love. Hell Pau Gasol didn't look that great until he got to a team with some real players on it.

Yes it was Jefferson's fault they had a horrible team. I mean look at who they had starting last year? Gomes, Flynn, Darko, Brewer, Jefferson/Love. Hell Pau Gasol didn't look that great until he got to a team with some real players on it.

He won 50 games twice in Memphis...

The Jazz's record in '08-'09 shows you what one good player and a nice (but overall sub-par) cast can do when they care about winning and playing as a team. That's never been Jefferson's MO, so far as the evidence shows.