What's new

T-Mobile will buy you out of your contract

Beantown

I'm thinking of switching them to save some $$. My wife and I currently pay $170 a month with AT$T. CES just anounced during a test of carriers T-Mobile had the fastest LTE. I also checked the coverage map and the coverage is supped to be "excellent". But I know those mapts aren't always exact.

Any T-Mobile people out there? Whats your experience been with them?

What was the buy you out of your contract piece of that? Will they pay AT&T to let me switch? I have been thinking of changing to T Mobile for the same reasons, but I have 5 lines and almost all of them have their contracts up at different times, so we just keep plugging along. If they will pay the early term fees I would change in a heartbeat, even with their spotty 4G coverage of Reno.

What was the buy you out of your contract piece of that? Will they pay AT&T to let me switch? I have been thinking of changing to T Mobile for the same reasons, but I have 5 lines and almost all of them have their contracts up at different times, so we just keep plugging along. If they will pay the early term fees I would change in a heartbeat, even with their spotty 4G coverage of Reno.

Yea they will pay up to $650 per line up to 5 lines:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/01/08/ces-tmobile-early-termination-fee/4379291/

My buyout with At&T right now is $270 per line and we have 8 months left on our contract.

We have four lines, three of which don't have any extras added on. One line has a phone insurance and pays extra to get unlimited 4G. Our bill comes to like $160. Not the best coverage I've ever had, but not the worst.

In August, I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon. T-Mobile is definitely cheaper, but don't be tricked into thinking the coverage quality is as good as Verizon or AT&T. The maps grossly overestimate what you actually get (speed, voice/text only zones, slow or no data zones). I would say my Verizon is noticeably faster about 80% of the places that I go, I have about 10% of the dropped calls I used to get, and I have less dead zones when I travel. T-Mobile also has a LOT harder time penetrating large office buildings/stores/schools. example: I would have multiple bars 4G in the parking lot of stores and yet not even be able to open an email or access data at all in the middle of the store. If I had an internet coupon I would have to set my stuff down, walk to the front doors, open the coupon on my screen, walk back to pick up my stuff and go to the register. We could not get data in the St George area at all. There are spots on major roads in downtown Salt Lake, Murray, West Jordan, South Jordan, Sandy, Draper, etc, where we would consistently drop calls. In the gym of my kid's school the phones could not get data, voice, or even texts (just red letters "SOS"), but right outside the building we would have 3 bars 4G. I get 4G (and data access) MUCH more of the way between Salt Lake and Southern California along I-15 If -Mobile is good enough for your needs then enjoy saving money, but it is definitely not equal quality. It is definitely inferior to Verizon and AT&T, but much better than Cricket.

In August, I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon. T-Mobile is definitely cheaper, but don't be tricked into thinking the coverage quality is as good as Verizon or AT&T. The maps grossly overestimate what you actually get (speed, voice/text only zones, slow or no data zones). I would say my Verizon is noticeably faster about 80% of the places that I go, I have about 10% of the dropped calls I used to get, and I have less dead zones when I travel. T-Mobile also has a LOT harder time penetrating large office buildings/stores/schools. example: I would have multiple bars 4G in the parking lot of stores and yet not even be able to open an email or access data at all in the middle of the store. If I had an internet coupon I would have to set my stuff down, walk to the front doors, open the coupon on my screen, walk back to pick up my stuff and go to the register. We could not get data in the St George area at all. There are spots on major roads in downtown Salt Lake, Murray, West Jordan, South Jordan, Sandy, Draper, etc, where we would consistently drop calls. In the gym of my kid's school the phones could not get data, voice, or even texts (just red letters "SOS"), but right outside the building we would have 3 bars 4G. I get 4G (and data access) MUCH more of the way between Salt Lake and Southern California along I-15 If -Mobile is good enough for your needs then enjoy saving money, but it is definitely not equal quality. It is definitely inferior to Verizon and AT&T, but much better than Cricket.

I agree with all of that. I didn't have smartphone with Verizon (refused to pay extra for it, but since T-Mobile comes standard, we got some), but the Verizon coverage was WAY better. I just got done wiring a house with practically no service. I could only receive calls in certain areas and if I moved two feet the call would drop. I wish Verizon did what T-Mobile does.

Inferior product requires lower pricing to compete, that is usually the case. But with the investment T Mobile has been making in their infrastructure - I know in Reno they just leased/bought or whatever extra equipment, and worked out a deal with another carrier to improve coverage - then it might be worth it as that kind of thing will continue if it is paying off for them monetarily (with more customers). The risk is that it just flips over, T Mobile becomes the new AT&T and they start jacking their prices, but I like their business model and think it is probably sustainable. I will consider it, for sure.

I have Tmobile and have been with them for three years. Now that I am down in the STG, I want to blow them up with an A-Bomb. The coverage down here sucks horse wang, and their customer service (now that I actually have problems and have to call them) might as well be spoken in Polish. I hate Tmobile.

I have Tmobile and have been with them for three years. Now that I am down in the STG, I want to blow them up with an A-Bomb. The coverage down here sucks horse wang, and their customer service (now that I actually have problems and have to call them) might as well be spoken in Polish. I hate Tmobile.

Seriously, cannot think of a better endorsement. Seriously.

I'm thinking of switching them to save some $$. My wife and I currently pay $170 a month with AT$T. CES just anounced during a test of carriers T-Mobile had the fastest LTE. I also checked the coverage map and the coverage is supped to be "excellent". But I know those mapts aren't always exact.

Any T-Mobile people out there? Whats your experience been with them?

They have excellent mobile webs over here. Sorry for not being helpful. Just gotta promote the head sponsor of my local team and German companies.

T-mobile is a joke. I had them a few years ago. They were always advertising unlimited data. Which is complete horse crap. They did exactly what they were advertising they wouldn't do. They started limiting my data. When I called them they tried to play a bunch of b.s. games with about how its not limiting my data, but throttling my data. Which is slowing it down to as slow as they possibly could. We fought forever over the meaning of limited. It was effing crazy. So I bailed in the middle of my contract and told them where to shove it. They tried sending me some erroneous bill of like 600 dollars claiming I owed them early termination fees and other charges. I told them they wouldnt get a dime because they blatantly lie in their commercials. I also challenged to a battle in court over it every time they tried to call and collect. It felt quite good to know I was willing to go all the way with this thing. I believe I would have won. So after about 45 phones calls they made and about 30 collection letters they sent, they just went away. Just stopped bothering me altogether. I beat them bitches. Feels great.

Tmobile is the biggest joke out there. Horrible coverage. Horrible customer service. They lie through their teeth about everything. They dont have 4G.They throttle your data as soon as you go over like 2 gigs. Its seriously a worthless company. Would never go back. They are just desperate now with all these deals because they are a sinking ship. Thats why they are doing anything to get customers. They have already pissed off enough people.

Just pay the price and go to Verizon. Ya its expensive, but if you like speedy data then you will have to pay for it. Ive also had ATnt and Sprint. Both are better than Tmobile but not as good as Verizon

Ya, I'm with Hax0rz, they totally dick you with their "unlimited" data. I had the same issues and spent at least eight hours on the phone over three days before I finally got a manager who understands what customer service is. We are still going to be leaving them in a few months (as soon as the deal that CSR gave me expires) and we'll probably go with Verizon.

As for T-Mobile just "forgetting" about you, I wouldn't count on ot. I had the same issue with Verizon about 8 years ago. I fought and fought with them, told them I'd never pay a dime and they finally stopped. I won, right? Fast forward 8 years and we just tried to get a car loan for the first time in 6 or 7 years and guess what... They've been dinging my credit for years and the charge, that was like $200.00 is now over a grand. No loans for me with that stupid thing on there, and now I get to pay for it. 4x over.

Might want to check your credit score, yo.

T-mobile is a joke. I had them a few years ago. They were always advertising unlimited data. Which is complete horse crap. They did exactly what they were advertising they wouldn't do. They started limiting my data. When I called them they tried to play a bunch of b.s. games with about how its not limiting my data, but throttling my data. Which is slowing it down to as slow as they possibly could. We fought forever over the meaning of limited. It was effing crazy.

They were right and you were wrong. Throttling is not a cap and you weren't charged for overages for your plan. The high-speed data cap is adjustable.

Also, how the hell are you using that much data? Is your phone your primary device for watching video? The Madame is practically glued to her phone all day and never goes over 2GB.

So I bailed in the middle of my contract and told them where to shove it. They tried sending me some erroneous bill of like 600 dollars claiming I owed them early termination fees and other charges. I told them they wouldnt get a dime because they blatantly lie in their commercials. I also challenged to a battle in court over it every time they tried to call and collect. It felt quite good to know I was willing to go all the way with this thing. I believe I would have won.

Not only would you have lost, you never would have made it to court. Your contract assuredly requires mandatory arbitration.

I monitored my credit closely through the whole thing. I still do. Nothing ever has come up. Its been 4 years now since that whole thing. I keep an eye out for it, but I kinda doubt they will keep trying. They arent as resilient as Verizon. Im not sure what your case was but maybe Verizon believed they had a case. Ive never noticed any issues with their data. Tmobile knows exactly what b.s. they were pulling. I literally begged them to take me tp court over it. I even would send back letters telling them I was ready for court. I told them I had numerous commercials recorded with their unlimited advertising b.s. and a bunch of other evidence of them throttling my data. I made recordings of me using my phone. I kept letters. I recorded phones calls with them. I had everything I needed. I was ready to go to court. No matter the cost. I truly believe I would have won. They did the exact opposite of what they were advertising. They were literally limiting my data when they were advertising unlimited. It only took about a week into the new billing cycle for them to throttle me too. So 3 weeks out of the month my smart phone was completely useless. Throttling basically shuts your data off. You cant even use maps. Thats how bad it was. For 3 weeks my smart phone was no better than a flip phone.

I think they knew they had no case. Which is why they never followed through. Seriously, how hard would it be to argue that case? Its pretty cut and dry. The definition of unlimited is pretty clear.

There was also a class action lawsuit at the time that was pending during all this. Many people had gotten together to fight them over this. I never followed up on what happened on that, but Im sure it helped me some. They must have been told they would lose, so they dropped the fight.

They were right and you were wrong. Throttling is not a cap and you weren't charged for overages for your plan. The high-speed data cap is adjustable.

Also, how the hell are you using that much data? Is your phone your primary device for watching video? The Madame is practically glued to her phone all day and never goes over 2GB.

Not only would you have lost, you never would have made it to court. Your contract assuredly requires mandatory arbitration.

No. Nonsense. How do you figure.?

When you limit how much data I use then that is not unlimited. Pretty effing simple really. You sound as dumb as the employees working for Tmobile

2 gigs isnt squat. I use about 10 gigs a month.

Sent from my SM-N900V using JazzFanz mobile app

No. Nonsense. How do you figure.?

When you limit how much data I use then that is not unlimited. Pretty effing simple really. You sound as dumb as the employees working for Tmobile

I think kicky is saying that they didnt limit the AMOUNT of data you could use, just the QUALITY of the data

I think kicky is saying that they didnt limit the AMOUNT of data you could use, just the QUALITY of the data

but they DID limit the amount. Slowing down controls the amount.

Holy cow!

How is this so hard to understand.

Thats like a buffett saying you can eat all you want, but we are only going to give you one crumb per day.

Would you say that is still all you can eat food? Good god hell no.