What's new

The 800lb gorilla

Maneesh

Is this Hills only season in Utah. Can Jazz afford another near max? Think about it.....

Yup, like everyone else Utah will have some hard choices to make.

As I said yesterday, if it takes the max to keep Hill then I wish him luck and a fond farewell.

And while we're at it here's another 800lb gorilla - the guy is gonna come back down to earth. His efficiency numbers are unsustainable. He's shooting 63% from frickin 2!

Enjoy the ride while it lasts, that's all you can say for now.

If he keeps playing like this some team is going to bid high for him.. teams have been preparing for the PG's in this FA class and after teams A and B priorities are off the board the bids will go higher and higher.

The question is really does Hill want to take a small paycut to stay here in a system he thrives in with coaches/management he likes.

If he keeps playing like this some team is going to bid high for him.. teams have been preparing for the PG's in this FA class and after teams A and B priorities are off the board the bids will go higher and higher.

The question is really does Hill want to take a small paycut to stay here in a system he thrives in with coaches/management he likes.

It was an asinine trade to get him in Utah, right?

Im not going to cry to be the team that has too many legit options moving forward and has to make tough choices. Id rather it be like that than for us to be throwing max money at less than worthy players like in the past.

If he continues to play like this we push the warriors in the western conference finals and pay him his god damn money. Please tell me which teams will have a need and offer him a better role and more money... I'll wait...

He is super engaged and is taking on leadership roles... doesn't strike me as the one year mercenary type. Dante has looked good but he's not going to be ready to lead next year.

It was an asinine trade to get him in Utah, right?

It's certainly paying early dividends, there's still a great deal of risk involved though and if it's just for a 1 year rental in which they don't win a championship it's basically all for naught. Also if they turn a draft pick into a player that they need to pay a truckload of $$ like what this thread is about, the trade isn't as efficient as it initially appears, it's more like a good FA signing at the cost of a lottery pick..

that trade involves a draft pick so it will be years til we can truly tell, I say it's likely that the BPA at that spot will end up a damn good player.

There's also the risk of what if Hill gets hurt..

It's certainly paying early dividends, there's still a great deal of risk involved though and if it's just for a 1 year rental in which they don't win a championship it's basically all for naught. Also if they turn a draft pick into a player that they need to pay a truckload of $$ like what this thread is about, the trade isn't as efficient as it initially appears, it's more like a good FA signing at the cost of a lottery pick..

that trade involves a draft pick so it will be years til we can truly tell, I say it's likely that the BPA at that spot will end up a damn good player.

There's also the risk of what if Hill gets hurt..

It's safe to say it was never asinine. You can say we mortgaged a little bit of our future but asinine is not the right word at all... and words matter.

If hill is still wrecking fools all season and we have success we will pay him fairly and he will stay I could see both Hill and Hayward taking slight (like a 1m per year each) pay cuts and we can move some other things around. Burks will have to be moved and maybe joe Johnson too. Hell Favors could be the odd man out in two years if Lyles ever starts playing well again.

Tldr if Hill is this good or close to it... you pay him and keep the gang together and figure other stuff out later.

I don't know how the money will be worked out, but I really, REALLY hope he stays based on what I see from his play (career-wise, not just the last few games) and character. Hopefully he continues to thrive in our system. I would hope he gets attached enough here that he has a good desire to stick around. We obviously have needed a PG like Hill for a while now. I'm hopeful for Exum, but right now he isn't there yet.

It's safe to say it was never asinine. You can say we mortgaged a little bit of our future but asinine is not the right word at all... and words matter.

Was the Jazz trading the 35th pick in the 2014 draft for a 2nd in 2015, with Jordan Clarkson and Nikola Jokic (Jerami Grant and Dwight Powell too) on the board asinine?

This. Even if Hill leave, certainly possible, it was never asinine. Players that will be here like Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood will have been to the playoffs. They are learning how to close games, how to win. So the Jazz come out winners no matter what IMO.

How about trading up for Trey Burke when Giannis and Schrodr would've fallen right in their lap.. Was that asinine?

This. Even if Hill leave, certainly possible, it was never asinine. Players that will be here like Gobert, Favors, Exum and Hood will have been to the playoffs. They are learning how to close games, how to win. So the Jazz come out winners no matter what IMO.

Not even if it turns out there's a Rodney Hood or Rudy Gobert, or even Kahwi Leonard type steal that they turned a blind eye on in exchange for a 1 year rental just so they can make the playoffs and lose?

Well there is this
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0585851508977835508-4

The Jazz see PG George Hill as a long-term fit and could attempt to sign him to an extension this season, preventing him from hitting the free agency market in the summer. "If that's the case, then I would be very interested in that," Hill told ESPN. "But I'm going to let them take care of that and just do what I can control." Hill is making $8 million in the final season of his contract, a bargain considering his sensational start in Utah. Whether or not he gets an extension, Hill said he hopes to remain with the Jazz long term. "I'm not the type of guy that likes to move around and go from team to team," said Hill, who leads the Jazz with 21.4 points and 4.6 assists per game. "I really like it here. My family likes it here. I've got some friends here. The city's been great for me so far, and it's a nice place to raise a family, so hopefully I get an opportunity to re-sign here if they would love me to be here."

Plan B?

Deron Williams on Utah: "It is always good to come back to. I still make this my home in the offseason, so I definitely have a special place in my heart for Utah. Some of my best years in basketball most memorable years. It's definitely good to come back and good to know the boos are getting less and less every year. They were kind of faint today and not throughout the whole game."
1h

It pisses me off when fans boo him still. I has shown himself humble for many years now. He knows he made a mistake and you can tell he regrets it every day.

I don't know how the money will be worked out, but I really, REALLY hope he stays based on what I see from his play (career-wise, not just the last few games) and character. Hopefully he continues to thrive in our system. I would hope he gets attached enough here that he has a good desire to stick around. We obviously have needed a PG like Hill for a while now. I'm hopeful for Exum, but right now he isn't there yet.

repped