What's new

The case for chasing Pau

idiot

I've always expected it to be a sounds-good-in-theory impossibility, and I admit that it probably still is. But as I was checking around on the discussion boards of the other teams that have been linked to Pau publicly, it began to look more realistic (dangerous to get my hopes up, I know).

All of these other discussion boards were quite ambivalent about offering Pau a contract. Of course some posters could be found who like Pau, but probably more were not too excited. These are the typical concerns I read:

Portland: signing Pau means renouncing the future (would have to give up on young, promising RFAs). Not worth it in the long run; if you're giving throwing away these assets it better be for someone who's a longer-term solution. Plus may not really fit with the style of play (I'm guessing they meant guard-centric).

Toronto: What's the use of Pau with Jonas and Jakob? Would have to do some tricky financials/renouncing to make an offer.

San Antonio: Pau's time for the Spurs was 3 years ago, when viewing him as a replacement for an aging Duncan made sense over the middle-term time period. Not really worth the $10M+ renouncings/trades that it would take to bring him.

Minnesota: How to find time for Pau with the 2 young centers that already need playing time (KAT & Dieng) -- with none of the three really being a true PF at this point? Would be nice to have him as a mentor, but no real reason to break the bank on him before the Wolves are ready for contention (doesn't fit the timeline).

Compared to these concerns, the Jazz's position seems almost perfect. Two years at a high-ish salary would help create one of the deepest and most versatile (and hopefully best) teams in the league. We have no problems creating this type of offer.

Unlike the Wolves, the Jazz are likely legitimate playoff threats on Pau's timeline. Unlike Toronto and Portland, the Jazz have a much more balanced, pass-oriented team concept that would seem to fit Pau's game better (and Pau knows Quin from Laker days). We can't beat the Spurs for championship possibilities, but we could probably beat their offer by a lot.

Only real problem (barring desire to renegotiate Hill/Favors, but that's iffy in any event since it depends on the agreement of Hill & Favors; or a total unwillingness to live in Utah): playing time and egos. Unfortunately, this is a big problem. Rudy and Pau would both need to play and both almost certainly would demand to start. It may not be possible to massage the playing time and egos to make it work out. Since Quin likely wants to play small at times, there's probably less than 48 minutes to go around.

But if they somehow got a signal from both Rudy and Pau that they could work with the arrangement on a two-year frame in the name of more wins ... ah, I've got to quit imagining that this is a real possibility.

Last edited:
I'm surprised NY didn't go hard at Pau ... he would have been perfect there as mentor to Porzingis as well ...

Pau
Porzingis
Carmelo
C. Lee
D. Rose

That's a pretty decent starting lineup in the East ...

Rudy probably would start but Pau almost certainly would finish. Maybe that would be enough for both of them...

Only real problem (barring desire to renegotiate Hill/Favors, but that's iffy in any event since it depends on the agreement of Hill & Favors; or a total unwillingness to live in Utah): playing time and egos. Unfortunately, this is a big problem. Rudy and Pau would both need to play and both almost certainly would demand to start. It may not be possible to massage the playing time and egos to make it work out. Since Quin likely wants to play small at times, there's probably less than 48 minutes to go around.

There would be way less than 48 minutes for then combined, since Favors or Lyles would slide to the 5 in small line-ups - so we are basically in agreement about this. The ego/playing time issue is important, of course, but I think you are emphasizing it without really asking why would Gasol accept to play less than 30 minutes per night with the Jazz. If he had some previous history with the franchise or some dear former teammate playing for the Jazz, that would perhaps justify the - let's say - "sacrifice", but that is not the case at all. Gasol has no reason whatsoever to play for the Jazz splitting time with Gobert. And I'm saying that being a big fan of both Gasol and Gobert.

I have LONG been an advocate of PaUtah. Regarding minutes, we just had a season where we were fighting injuries to both Favors and Gobert. We had to get creative with minutes. Either played well, but when both were injured we lost a number of games and lost some real momentum.

Besides, competition for minutes is something Dennis Lindsey has promised.

Just based on injuries there is no reason that the jazz should fear minutes. It's a long season and 3 deep is critical. Withey then becomes the best 4th option 5 in the league.

There are some other big worth chasing, but Pau is my favorite by far. I was checking out a list of Free Agents left. Here are some of my fav centers. I think we need either a vet, a shooter, or an enforcer.

Myers Leonard - restricted - shooter
Anderson Varejao - enforcer vet
Maurice Speights - shooter, enforcer, vet
Ryan Hollins - enforcer
Festus Ezili - vet, smart
Bismack B - doubt it would happen - enforcer - likely too expensive
Jeff Ayers - withey might be the better 3rd big, but could compete for minutes

Last opton is Jo'ballin boy!!!

How much money can the Jazz put into a two year contract? Between the coach, the fit and the money. . . I really think the Jazz should try. Get talent into the building. As was stated by Colton, Gobert would likely start and Pau would finish. Keep everybody's minutes down and rest frequently so that everyone is really healthy for the playoffs. That's a huge equalizer. Jazz would have limped into the playoffs this year and the Warriors struggled while Curry was out injured. Anything can happen when you factor injuries into the equation.

Who do you like better long term? Rudy or Pau? Cause if Pau comes here, Rudy gets benched and probably demands out ala Kanter so he can increase his value before his contract expires.

So, is Pau worth losing Gobert over?

Honestly? Maybe. If Exum pans out.

Try to pry Leonard from Portland as they are going after Gasol.

Try to pry Leonard from Portland as they are going after Gasol.

Only problem, is you can't "pry" him from Portland in any easy fashion. If Blazers renounce RFA on Leonard, he becomes true FA, and then the Jazz are at a great disadvantage in a market where multiple teams might be able to go beyond 2-years for him (assuming the Jazz are looking to keep books relatively clean beyond 2 years).

Only problem, is you can't "pry" him from Portland in any easy fashion. If Blazers renounce RFA on Leonard, he becomes true FA, and then the Jazz are at a great disadvantage in a market where multiple teams might be able to go beyond 2-years for him (assuming the Jazz are looking to keep books relatively clean beyond 2 years).

Perhaps that's true. But you try.

Perhaps that's true. But you try.

That's why I'm advocating on going all in for Pau where the odds might be slightly more in the Jazz favor. But I assume they've done their due diligence and found that there's not a deal for Pau to be made. So yeah, I'd certainly see what the options are on Leonard.

Who do you like better long term? Rudy or Pau? Cause if Pau comes here, Rudy gets benched and probably demands out ala Kanter so he can increase his value before his contract expires.

So, is Pau worth losing Gobert over?

Honestly? Maybe. If Exum pans out.

96 mins to split between PF and C. That's enough to split between the 3 at 32 mins each. Lyles is odd-man out. But as others have noted, Favors and Gobert have had injury problems. So it would work just fine.

As for Gobert, Utah is not going to lose him. At worst, he becomes a RFA and we match an offer (like Hayward). More than likely, he signs an extension.

Gasol could be offered around a 2yr, $40m deal. Not sure that's enough, though.

I was also thinking about this today. It would be nice. Don't think it'll happen, but I'd be all over it if it did.

As things stand, Gobert's agent is in Utah to extend him with the Jazz so we'll see how much we have left over if the restructure pays Rudy significantly more in the upcoming season.

Here's the deal: Everything with a Gasol to Utah scenario revolves around a ton of "if's", but man it would be nice to get it done.

Personally, I don't think we'll EVER see a season in which Favors and Gobert play a full 82 games. Thus, I don't think there'd be a minute concern as far as getting Gasol on the floor. And if Fav's and Gobert are ever going to play a full season, a great way to achieve that is to lower their minutes in a 3 man rotation and sell them on the idea of hitting the playoffs hungry, healthy, and strong.

Like Joe Johnson, Pau is obviously past his prime. But the niche he'd fill on this team would be beyond any value we could fathom IMO. Our core needs to play alongside proven winners who serve as coaches out on the court. A trio of George Hill, JJ, and Gasol gives us that in spades!

If I'm DL, I bring Pau in, offer him 2 years at 40 mil and convince him that with him on this squad, we are Western Conference Title contenders. (btw, we honestly would be)