What's new

The Minimum FA Bargain Bin

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Look... I don't think we have a prayer at the taxpayer MLE guys we REALLY want. Lakers have like 2 starting spots open for guys... so I think we actually get more value finding minimum gems. Try and get them on a 1+1 deal with a team option on second year... get some upside in this deal... maybe fully guarantee two years.

My thought... you land a vet wing and a 4/5 type or a 5 with some stretch. I am not going after guards because I'm all in on Butler as backup pg.

Here is my thought... go get a minimum wing that can play up in size... and is ideally a good shooter. Here are the candidates:

Wings

Guys I actually like
Sterling Brown
Abdel Nader - I think this is my favorite
Torrey Craig - @fishonjazz is a big fan
David Nwaba - If only he could shoot
Denzel Valentine - Defense is a problem doe
Winslow - take a flier
Stanley Johnson - bet he gets more than minimum
Trevor Ariza - if he gets a minimum it will be in LA
TLC - Kinda a scrub
James Ennis - He's fine.
DJ Wilson - Probably not an NBA player but maybe he's finally ready... worth a flier maybe.

Guys you hold your nose and hope for the best

James Johnson - He might be washed but he could be our enforcer
Solomon Hill - I threw up in my mouth a little
Semi Ojeleye - IDK maybe?
Bonga - he does stuff but the shot is bad

The stretch 5 but maybe play 4 more often group

- Bjelica - Finally a jazzman... it feels right. Replaces Niang's shooting and maybe he place 5 and we give up 175 pts per 100 possessions but score 176.
-Moe Wagner - He sucks at defense but tries to take charges. Shot may not be what we want... might be a good option if Udoka sucks though.
-Muscala - Seeing a trend here.
-Ersan - Not sure why we never tried it.
- Gary Clark - I think he could survive on the floor with Udoka or be the small ball 5. The shot is iffy but he's willing to do it... I really like this option
- Vanderbilt - upside pick... can't shoot... might not be a real 5. I like him.
-Alex Len - Might be too good... Quin will play him over Udoka
- Baynes - same as Len but he's always hurt.
-Dieng - He makes threes... he protects the rim... kinda sorta... he's fine for 10 minutes a night but will play over Udoka as well.
-Dedmon - for @infection he was actually good in limited minutes.

Look its not exciting... but if we came out of FA with Abdel Nader filling in for Niang's minutes but can also play as a SF if Royce or Bojan get hurt . Then follow up with adding Gary Clark as a small ball 5 or maybe 4 that can help protect the rim... like you have some options. Oni might be finally ready or he might be awful.

We don't have a ton of minutes available obviously... i'd prioritize someone that fills in for Niang since he gone. I can talk myself into adding Nader, James Johnson, and Wagner if we miss on Batum and Gay... and I prefer it to overpaying Ariza and Harkless especially if we go multiple years.

I don't think this is worth starting a thread about, but Wind Horse mentioned in passing that Cavs and Kevin Love may engage in buyout talks this year.

If you can get him and get him in a place physically to where he is replacing Niang and Favors minutes (on the high end), then that's pretty sexy. Maybe?

pray 4 @infection

I don't think this is worth starting a thread about, but Wind Horse mentioned in passing that Cavs and Kevin Love may engage in buyout talks this year.

If you can get him and get him in a place physically to where he is replacing Niang and Favors minutes (on the high end), then that's pretty sexy. Maybe?

pray 4 @infection
Guys like Love will be the ones who fill out the roster around LBJ, RW and AD.

pray 4 @infection
I think he is completely done. The team USA stuff was so weird. I think he's all the way cooked but it could be a PJ Tucker Griffin situation... tank your way to a buyout and magically get better.

Guys like Love will be the ones who fill out the roster around LBJ, RW and AD.
I mean, I don't think he's even capable of playing major minutes if that's any of the consideration. His status as a player was being referred to in the past-tense by whoever it was from Team USA basketball.

I mean, I don't think he's even capable of playing major minutes if that's any of the consideration. His status as a player was being referred to in the past-tense by whoever it was from Team USA basketball.
I agree. I'm just addressing whoever thought we could get Love with the minimum. He will 99% go to either Brooklyn or LA.

I'd rather have Niang on 3/$21 and trade Bogey than let Niang walk.
So that's insane. We have 0 evidence that Niang can perform anywhere near the level and consistency that Bojan has in big moments.

Niang is a player, but we simply don't have evidence to suggest he's better than a 9th man on a good team. He did great in that role last year, but I didn't see a lot of flashes that he was ready for more than that.