-the official Alec Burks PG thread-

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by PG_AB, Feb 9, 2013.

1. PG_AB

PG_AB Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor

Nov 4, 2010
    I approve of this thread, and really any alec burks related thread

I still think he should be playing the shooting guard, but so far he has looked ok at the point and as long as he is getting minutes, i dont care what position he plays.

Keep up the good work, and i will continue to enjoy this thread.
    repped.

3. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Nice post. I have always been of the mindset that Burks could be a PG in the NBA. I remember seeing him at Colorado and thinking I think this guy could play PG. I still think the kid has a long way to go but if the Jazz commit to him being a PG and teach him the ins/outs of the pick and roll I think he can become a very good PG.

This summer the Jazz should send him to the John Stockton camp to learn the position. I loved his defensive effort in the chicago game. Right now you can tell that Burks is a little tentative on running the offense due to his lack of experience and not wanting to be yanked if he makes a mistake. However, I think if he is given time to learn the position I think he can become a very good PG.

I also think he needs to move more without the ball and to work on his post up game. With his size he should be able to take smaller guys to the rack. I am not sold on any PG in the draft this year. I would rather get another scorer/player like Goodwin, Olapido or Porter.

4. PrinceJL

PrinceJL Member

May 26, 2010
    i stopped reading halfway through because im presuming you not watching his minutes on the floor...

He's NOT a PG or even a hybrid PG!! He's an average ball-handler at SG & below-average when playing the point. He picks up his dribble too much & needs to shield himself from defenders with his body because of his dribbling abilities. Maybe his confidence in his own abilities is making him tentative but he's NOT our answer to playing point.

One of Alec's pros was his ability to get to the rim but he's only taken 4 FTs this month (5 games). He's hitting 3s, which is a nice surprise to me but him taking those over Earl is +

5. franklin

franklin Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Rany D Foye broke down the defense way better than Burks did last night.

6. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    Ya, burks broke the defense down and got to the rim alot more last year when he was used as a shooting guard. (like he should be used now)

It seems that he has been coached to dribble the ball up and get the offense into the proper sets (dump the ball into the post), so he is not attacking like he could and should be.
    Just some more bad coaching.... but hey at least burks is getting some minutes :)

7. Karadrys30

Karadrys30 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I like Burks at the the point. He isnt a natural pointguard but he has come along way since summer camp. He isnt just trying to break down defenses while he is playing, which I think is good. That is not how the offense is set up and Burks needs to learn to set his teammates up. Right now he is a serviceable backup and if he continues to work on his ball handling skills and playrunning, he could be starting material. I would particuarly like him running the pick and roll with favors.

8. Weezur

Weezur Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I've been on the Burks should try PG wagon for a while. The game is changing and teams are winning with Super Guards.
    Burks' biggest hurdle is ball handling. He's just not good enough to hold the ball during crunch time right now but ball handling comes from hard work...im sure he can do it.

Oh and Burks and Hayward at 1,2 >>> Burks and Hayward at 2,3

9. PG_AB

PG_AB Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013

10. PG_AB

PG_AB Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013

[​IMG]

Weezur likes this.
  11. Harcher

Harcher Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I don't know that i care so much that his THE point guard as much as i'm interested in him getting PnR skills. Ginoboli is not a PG but he's great at working the PnR - he finishes so well and passes so well, and operates the offense when Parker is out. Why not burks? We all know of Burks' skills at going to the hole. His ability to do the two PnR passes last night (until Bulls clamped down) were great signs. I'm fully convinced Favors can be PnR beast. (Kanter PnR TBD) But we need a PnR set of guards. I think Burks is one of them - if he buys into that plan for him. (I had high hopes for MoWill on this front.) I think Hayward has the right mindset and skills to be part of this same plan. (I don't think he'll be PnR master, but can key element of the whole system.)

12. orangello

orangello Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I will just say that there was about a half dozen play last night from Burks that I was very impressed with. They were PG type plays.

His defense was great on Robinson too.

I wish he would take it to the rim more. I have been waiting for a jaw dropping play from him since he started getting so much playing time.

13. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    I have been waiting for a jaw dropping play from him too...... The closest thing he did lately was the "houdini" play were he split the defenders and double pumped under the big down low for a layup.

14. PG_AB

PG_AB Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013

15. orangello

orangello Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I can do that and I'm a chubby midget. Not even close to jaw dropping.

16. Hartsock

Hartsock Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    Burks has looked MUCH better running the point these last two games .... He looked pretty bad as a PG against the Kings though .... I'm optimistic he can keep it up. He has shown a ton more patience lately, he will pass up ok shots to run the offense, will pull it out and reset the offense, hopefully I will be eating crow in the near future.

17. Weezur

Weezur Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Fixed. A 6'6'' guard who took out one of the fastest 5'8'' guards in the league? Some elite athleticism right there IMO.

18. Hartsock

Hartsock Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    I wouldnt be giving Burks a handy for shutting down Nate Robinson, he had a good quarter but overall he is not a very good player. When he does well against a real PG like DWill, Paul, Irving then I will be really impressed.

19. Gyp Rosetti

Gyp Rosetti Banned

May 26, 2010
    The Burks love on here is ridiculous. His handle is average at best. Out of 333 guys, he's 289th in TS% and 290th in PER.

20. PG_AB

PG_AB Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013