What's new

The Official Star Wars Thread of Jazzfanz

Tom Pitt

*There are spoilers to the Last Jedi in this thread so stop reading until you see the movie.

I saw The Last Jedi last night and I really liked it. I was talking to some people about the movie after and someone was telling me Disney has given the green light to make 8 more Star Wars movies after the Last Jedi. Insane! Though I am not sure if the Star Wars story films (like Rogue One) are part of those 8 or if that's 8 on top of those. Does anyone know if the next movies are all suppose to build on the Skywalker storyline? In any case, I'm glad they are making more movies and thus far they have done a terrific job.

I'm curious for those who have seen the Last Jedi, where do you think the storyline is headed? The last scene in the film was intriguing ...even poetic! The image of a boy staring up at the stars as a rebel ship goes into light speed, holding a broom as though perhaps it were a light saber... that was awesome!!

It seemed to be indicating that the Jedi will be built up again? Did anyone interpret that last scene differently? I could see by the time all the movies are made there will be many Jedi as well as Sith.

Also I am intrigued by the leadership of the first order and how it could evolve going forward. With Snoke out of the picture, Kylo Ren alone doesn't seem fit as the primary villain. I wonder if another antagonist will arise as the story continues. honestly... I could even see Kylo being turned back to the light at some point like Vader was.

Fin is an interesting character. At first I thought he was maybe going to end up being a Jedi but he seems to be taking Han Solo's role. I'd also like to see another Jedi arise as a main character to join Rey... Quite honestly they could really build this to a really epic conclusion! I hope they get most of it right.

Not sure I want JJ Abrams to direct more of them after this next one. He's a good director but his biggest gift is casting. And in that sense he contributed in a big way to the franchise. That said I'd like to see them pick another director who can pull off the epic and artistic. So like no Michael Bay unless he's just doing the action scenes. Actually some combination of Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay and Peter Jackson would be interesting. Seriously though, I'd be on board if they asked Spielberg to direct one.

Thoughts on Star Wars?

Interesting movie. I was somewhat skeptical the direction it was headed with a relatively unknown director / writer at the beginning but it ended up coming out pretty good.

Very surprised Leah wasn’t killed off especially as they made it sound they wouldn’t CGI her into new movies. I was under the impression they had to go back to the story board on this and I thought they killed her at the beginning. Interesting to see what happens next.

Also, is Rey’s origin story to be believed or just BS from Snoke?

It was FANTASTIC.

The pacing was a bit weird though in the middle with Finn and the chick, but as soon as that was done the pace picked up quick and it was GREAT all the way til the end.

That fight scene in Snoke's room was probably one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie EVER.

I'm probably gonna go see it again next week. Just can't get enough of it.

It was FANTASTIC.

The pacing was a bit weird though in the middle with Finn and the chick, but as soon as that was done the pace picked up quick and it was GREAT all the way til the end.

That fight scene in Snoke's room was probably one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie EVER.

I'm probably gonna go see it again next week. Just can't get enough of it.

Jesus laddie go have a cold shower and calm down

I have also viewed the movie. It was intense, funny, surprising and a great watch, overall.

However,

There are things in this movie that are going to be picked apart to hell. It had some pacing issues at times where it felt like scenes that were inter-cut didn't mesh well timeline wise. Due to the inter-cutting, some plot set pieces that, in real-time, should have been done and over in a matter of seconds went on for minutes.

Story choices and the answers and non-answers to the questions that JJ Abrams asked in The Force Awakens are definitely going to irk some people. In fact, I can see it happening already. For me, I liked the subversion of these popular expectations. On the other hand, Some might feel, justifiably, that there were some opportunities missed or even intentionally dodged.

Im talking about Snoke's backstory and Rey's parentage. On some level It felt like Rian Johnson was just like eff that **** @ JJ Abrams' mystery boxes.

Last edited:
Episode 9 is the conclusion of this current saga and will air 2 years from now. They have two stories that are stand alone like the rogue one movie coming out next year and in three years. I think the next one is a Hans Solo story. After that they have a new trilogy coming out that is supposed to be set in a different part of the Galaxy not involving Skywalker's.

Im talking about Snoke's backstory and Rey's parentage. On some level It felt like Rian Johnson was just like eff that **** @ JJ Abrams' mystery boxes.

I liked it and I agree on this but I did hear that we would not get the back story on Snoke until episode 9. I am not sure he is dead, if he is someone ancient and has the ability to come back to life or transfer his life force I dont think we have seen the end of him. Even if he is dead I still think we might get to see or hear a little of his back story. I doubt they would just drop his story all together with how powerful he is. Additionally the back story for Rey that was given could be true and they might go more into it. It also could be false and a lie. Either way I think they will go a little more into this as well next movie.

I liked it and I agree on this but I did hear that we would not get the back story on Snoke until episode 9. I am not sure he is dead, if he is someone ancient and has the ability to come back to life or transfer his life force I dont think we have seen the end of him. Even if he is dead I still think we might get to see or hear a little of his back story. I doubt they would just drop his story all together with how powerful he is. Additionally the back story for Rey that was given could be true and they might go more into it. It also could be false and a lie. Either way I think they will go a little more into this as well next movie.
He was too easily killed imo.. a real rookie move.

Sent from my [device_name] using JazzFanz mobile app

Episode 9 is the conclusion of this current saga and will air 2 years from now. They have two stories that are stand alone like the rogue one movie coming out next year and in three years. I think the next one is a Hans Solo story. After that they have a new trilogy coming out that is supposed to be set in a different part of the Galaxy not involving Skywalker's.
I wonder who will play han solo in the han solo arc.

Sent from my [device_name] using JazzFanz mobile app

Well Ron Disney paid 6 billion for Lucas film they've got to make their money back somehow. I for one hope they remake the prequels that are so bad they're unwatchable.

*There are spoilers to the Last Jedi in this thread so stop reading until you see the movie.

I'm curious for those who have seen the Last Jedi, where do you think the storyline is headed? The last scene in the film was intriguing ...even poetic! The image of a boy staring up at the stars as a rebel ship goes into light speed, holding a broom as though perhaps it were a light saber... that was awesome!!

Did you catch the part where the broom jumped into his hand? The little boy used the Force to pick up the broom.

I am not buying the explanation for Rey's parent's. For someone to be that powerful with the force having parent's that were mere junkers selling her for booze just doesn't cut it.

Kylo's ability to kill Snoke without Snoke sensing his impending doom was off as well.

No explantion at all about who Snoke is or where he came from?

Lastly, the writers/director have absolutely no clue about physics and a lack of gravity in space? Dropping bombs?? And every time a ship is destroyed it falls and crashes instead of just floating off? Maybe nit picky but it was a glaring error.

I was shocked when I realized that the end of this movie was the first time Poe and Rey had ever met. They just seem so intertwined through both shows.

Overall I actually really did like the movie. Curious to see how they deal with Leia and Luke's characters in the next movie. Leia because of Fisher's death and Luke's abilities in this movie went far beyond anything they've shown a Jedi capable of. What else is he capable of? It's not like he actually dies, just sort of vanished into thin air.

I am not buying the explanation for Rey's parent's. For someone to be that powerful with the force having parent's that were mere junkers selling her for booze just doesn't cut it.

Kylo's ability to kill Snoke without Snoke sensing his impending doom was off as well.

Lastly, the writers/director have absolutely no clue about physics and a lack of gravity in space? Dropping bombs?? And every time a ship is destroyed it falls and crashes instead of just floating off? Maybe nit picky but it was a glaring error.

I was shocked when I realized that the end of this movie was the first time Poe and Rey had ever met. They just seem so intertwined through both shows.

Overall I actually really did like the movie. Curious to see how they deal with Leia and Luke's characters in the next movie. Leia because of Fisher's death and Luke's abilities in this movie went far beyond anything they've shown a Jedi capable of. What else is he capable of? It's not like he actually dies, just sort of vanished into thin air.

Didn't Yoda and Obi Wan vanished into thin air the same way?

I think with the parentage issue, I like how they've opened up the possibility that a great jedi could come from anywhere... having said that wasn't it Kylo Ren that said her parents were junk traders? Not the most trustworthy person... could he have been telling her lies so she trusts him?

Yah I still think Snoke's death was too easy... maybe make it so Rey did something to distract Snoke and Kylo Ren took that chance to kill him - something like that would have been a bit more believable.

Still enjoyed it though, I'd probably go see it again when the crowd starts to die down - has anyone seen this in 3D? How was it? I'm normally not a fan but I'd be interested to see what someone who's seen it think.

I was initially annoyed by the reveal of Rey’s ordinary parentage, but on reflection I think it was the right choice. This universe needs to expand its scope beyond the Skywalkers, Kenobis and Palpatines and this movie sets that up terrifically. I also think if fits better thematically with Luke’s disillusionment with the “elite” status of the Jedi order, as well the Finn and Rose subplot.

I was initially annoyed by the reveal of Rey’s ordinary parentage, but on reflection I think it was the right choice. This universe needs to expand its scope beyond the Skywalkers, Kenobis and Palpatines and this movie sets that up terrifically. I also think if fits better thematically with Luke’s disillusionment with the “elite” status of the Jedi order, as well the Finn and Rose subplot.

I think that's the main theme of this installation - evident by the final scene with the boy using the force to pick up the broom stick and using it as a laser sword.

I agree it's the right choice as it helps to expand the (potentially) limitless universe of Star Wars that they have yet to explore. And I think the audience will be the better for it having all these new & exciting stories coming on in the future.

I saw it and enjoyed it. It was better than I anticipated. The director/writer kept things way less predictable for me than most movies and I loved that aspect it. For example, Snokes death. While it was way too easy, I wasn't expecting it to actually happen, especially that way. Then the dude falls over after being cut in half. Brilliant. I also enjoyed how they weren't able to disable the thing that could detect/trace them at light speed. The movie kept throwing curves and they worked.

I loved the aliens, creatures, planets and graphics. I couldn't really tell Princess Leia was CGI.

My only complaint would be Luke Skywalker's character is pretty unlikable for most of the movie. That and ghost of Yoda seemed off for me. Also, what was the deal with the darkside hole and mirror scene? I didn't really understand why it called to her. Was it simply to show it didn't and there was nothing there to offer her? I probably missed something.

Great movie though. Would watch again.