fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration has cleared lab-grown meat, created from cultured animal cells, for human consumption

The company can begin selling its product after inspection and label approval by the Department of Agriculture. Upside makes cell-cultivated meat using biopsies from living animals as well as “recently slaughtered animals who were already a part of the food system.” It expects these cells to be capable of indefinitely self-renewing, with the goal of eventually phasing out all animal components.

The spokesperson added that in addition to eliminating “the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals,” cultivated meat is projected to use substantially less water and land than farmed meat, and producing meat in a controlled environment may reduce the risk of harmful bacterial contamination.

Meat and dairy alone are responsible for 60% of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions

Pretty cool

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration has cleared lab-grown meat, created from cultured animal cells, for human consumption

The company can begin selling its product after inspection and label approval by the Department of Agriculture. Upside makes cell-cultivated meat using biopsies from living animals as well as “recently slaughtered animals who were already a part of the food system.” It expects these cells to be capable of indefinitely self-renewing, with the goal of eventually phasing out all animal components.

The spokesperson added that in addition to eliminating “the need to raise and slaughter billions of animals,” cultivated meat is projected to use substantially less water and land than farmed meat, and producing meat in a controlled environment may reduce the risk of harmful bacterial contamination.

Meat and dairy alone are responsible for 60% of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions

Pretty cool
I'd eat it. I want them to culture some human, I'd try that too. Harvesting it myself is a pain in the ***.

Pretty cool
I'm down.

I'd eat it. I want them to culture some human, I'd try that too. Harvesting it myself is a pain in the ***.
Paul Theroux theorized (tongue in cheek) that many Pacific Islanders love SPAM because it tastes very similar to long pig (human flesh). So that may scratch your itch until you can get the lab version. I recommend pairing with a nice Chianti, preferably bottled in a fiasco.

Last edited:
The technology is still a ways a way from replicating real meat, but it is very interesting. In a world where people are scared of genetically engineered crops, I think it will be a long time before there is an overwhelming acceptance of the technology. At some point in the not super distant future food from animals will not be able to meet demand, so people who like meat will be forced in to these type of options.

You can currently buy products with cell based dairy in them: https://perfectday.com/made-with-perfect-day/

Last edited:
The technology is still a ways a way from replicating real meat, but it is very interesting. In a world where people are scared of genetically engineered crops, I think it will be a long time before there is an overwhelming acceptance of the technology. At some point in the not super distant future food from animals will not be able to meet demand, so people who like meat will be forced in to these type of options.

You can currently buy products with cell based dairy in them: https://perfectday.com/made-with-perfect-day/

Ya there will be conspiracy theorists who wont eat or accept it because they think the government put something in it to control the population or whatever.

Then there will be those people who simply fear change who are like “you cant take my gas guzzling car, you cant take my guns, and you cant take my meat!”

But there will also be plenty of reasonable forward thinking people who will have no problem eating lab grown meat and who actually think its a good and cool thing to happen.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Ya there will be conspiracy theorists who wont eat or accept it because they think the government put something in it to control the population or whatever.

Then there will be those people who simply fear change who are like “you cant take my gas guzzling car, you cant take my guns, and you cant take my meat!”

But there will also be plenty of reasonable forward thinking people who will have no problem eating lab grown meat and who actually think its a good and cool thing to happen.

Did you see the comments from yahoo on the article? Not a lot of acceptance right now.

Anyway, there is a ways to go still. The taste, quality, cost and availability need to be similar to conventional meat first.

Did you see the comments from yahoo on the article? Not a lot of acceptance right now.

Anyway, there is a ways to go still. The taste, quality, cost and availability need to be similar to conventional meat first.

Yep. That is what i was referring too.
You must remember though that the conspiracy theorists and people afraid of change are the loudest….. but that doesnt mean they are the majority.

You wont see any comments in the comments section from me for example.

One thing they will have a hard time replicating, or maybe 2 things, are fat and collagen. Connective tissue breaks down to collagen, and that provides the mouthfeel everyone wants in meat that has been prepared properly. Fat provides more silky mouthfeel along with flavor, that the beef muscle itself just does not provide. So unless they can somehow replicate the connective tissue and fat, then it will fall flat. Might be ok for taco meat or something heavily seasoned, but I cannot see it working as a steak or roast. It will also miss the natural flavors as the fat stores flavor from what the cow was eating. That is why grass-fed and grain-fed taste substantially different, and also why the leaner cuts have less of the truly "beefy" flavor.

I could see this working to replicate basic chicken breast, as it is very lean and has very little fat and little connective tissue. But beef will be hard to pull off correctly and convincingly.

That said, I absolutely want to try it.

One thing they will have a hard time replicating, or maybe 2 things, are fat and collagen. Connective tissue breaks down to collagen, and that provides the mouthfeel everyone wants in meat that has been prepared properly. Fat provides more silky mouthfeel along with flavor, that the beef muscle itself just does not provide. So unless they can somehow replicate the connective tissue and fat, then it will fall flat. Might be ok for taco meat or something heavily seasoned, but I cannot see it working as a steak or roast. It will also miss the natural flavors as the fat stores flavor from what the cow was eating. That is why grass-fed and grain-fed taste substantially different, and also why the leaner cuts have less of the truly "beefy" flavor.

I could see this working to replicate basic chicken breast, as it is very lean and has very little fat and little connective tissue. But beef will be hard to pull off correctly and convincingly.

That said, I absolutely want to try it.

You are correct that something more complex like a steak is not possible right now. The technology is advancing, however, where it will be possible someday. I've seen things that look like 3D printers that graft in the different tissues and creat marbling, etc.

I have tasted the chicken and at least what I tasted wasn't quite there yet. From what I understand it keeps getting better and better though.

You are correct that something more complex like a steak is not possible right now. The technology is advancing, however, where it will be possible someday. I've seen things that look like 3D printers that graft in the different tissues and creat marbling, etc.

I have tasted the chicken and at least what I tasted wasn't quite there yet. From what I understand it keeps getting better and better though.
Where or how were you able to taste it? If you don't mind me asking.

If you want me to rid of my gas guzzling truck, pay for the electronic conversion. Make sure I have a decent way to charge consistently, make sure it keeps its torque and hp. And off-road and towing capabilities. Then I’m good.

Most of these things are necessities for my ideal lifestyle.
That being said, I only have a hybrid for our 2nd vehicle. I’ll Tesla up when Teslas go down.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

If you want me to rid of my gas guzzling truck, pay for the electronic conversion. Make sure I have a decent way to charge consistently, make sure it keeps its torque and hp. And off-road and towing capabilities. Then I’m good.

Most of these things are necessities for my ideal lifestyle.
That being said, I only have a hybrid for our 2nd vehicle. I’ll Tesla up when Teslas go down.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Thats just it, no one is taking your gas guzzling truck (I literally just bought a 2022 gas guzzling truck 2 months ago), no is taking your guns (I still have the same guns I had 15 years ago), and no one is taking your meat (my freezer is stocked full). But there is certain amount of people who think all these things are being taken from them. They are idiots.

Paul Theroux theorized (tongue in cheek) that many Pacific Islanders love SPAM because it tastes very similar to long pig (human flesh). So that may scratch your itch until you can get the lab version. I recommend pairing with a nice Chianti, preferably bottled in a fiasco.
Humans could only wish they tasted as good as Spam.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app