What's new

This might have something to do with the Jazz's offensive spacing...

BYE

They can't make a three to save their life!!! or to earn millions of dollars!!!

Gordon Hayward leads the Jazz in three point shooting at a blistering 35%, followed (not even closely) by Trey "dead eye" Burke at 31%. The last time a team shot this poorly from the three point line, Pistol Pete must have lead the league in scoring. To be fair, Alec is shooting 35%, but hasn't taken enough, to "count" along with a few other of our players.

Just compare a little:

Hawks: Kyle Korver 56%, D. Caroll 39%, P. Millsap 38%, Teaque 37%
Grizzlies: C. Lee 54%, Conley 44%
Wizards: R. Butler 52%, Beal 49%, P. Pierce 35%

The list goes on and on...Houston, Golden State, The Clippers, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Orlando, Phoenix, San Antonio etc.

You're Lindsey...what do you do?

There's not much to do. There simply aren't good shooters or perimeter defenders who can play big minutes on the roster right now.

This.

I'm not sure why fans expected the 96 Bulls when we were a lotto team last year who lost 2 starters in free agency and gained 1 lotto pick (who comes off the bench) and 1 backup tweener. I always figured our improvement (record wise) from last year was going to be marginal (if we even saw improvement at all).

Folks, rebuilding takes time. Hence, why some of us weren't too crazy when we maxed out a nice role player this offseason. We better hope the next few drafts are good to us or this whole experiment with this current core is going to be a colossal failure (because none of them, kanter, Favors, hayward, etc) are very good. All are role players

There's not much to do. There simply aren't good shooters or perimeter defenders who can play big minutes on the roster right now.

What about for next year? Poaching Carroll back would be a step in the right direction. Adding a lights out shooter and/or a stretch 4 through a trade or the draft would be too. They're going to have to realize that Enes isn't that guy to take 3's and make a move accordingly. Hood might yet develop into a guy like that. He's still a rookie. Add a couple of guys who can shoot lights out pushes Hayward and Burks into more reasonable spots in the equation.

Last edited:
I expect Hood to improve and eventually shoot 40% on his 3's. His form is just too solid to continue to struggle. Definitely need another wing who can shoot.
Also, I definitely don't agree with the statement that Favors and Hayward are "role players." This season they're putting up fringe all-star numbers. Favors' contract is fair. Yes, Hayward is overpaid. But WE didn't max him out. Jazz had to match the contract or lose him. There's a difference.

In the draft, via trade, or in free agency, the Jazz need to target "3 and D" players at wing, PG and PF. Trey needs to go. Just can't have a poor shooter starting at PG.

This.

I'm not sure why fans expected the 96 Bulls when we were a lotto team last year who lost 2 starters in free agency and gained 1 lotto pick (who comes off the bench) and 1 backup tweener. I always figured our improvement (record wise) from last year was going to be marginal (if we even saw improvement at all).

Folks, rebuilding takes time. Hence, why some of us weren't too crazy when we maxed out a nice role player this offseason. We better hope the next few drafts are good to us or this whole experiment with this current core is going to be a colossal failure (because none of them, kanter, Favors, hayward, etc) are very good. All are role players

The good news is that we do have that many very good players. I think that if we don't put it together by January next year 2016 we willbe packaging a few for a star.

What about for next year? Poaching Carroll back would be a step in the right direction. Adding a lights out shooter and/or a stretch 4 through a trade or the draft would be too. They're going to have to realize that Enes isn't that guy to take 3's and make a move accordingly. Good might yet develop into a guy like that. He's still a rookie. Add a couple of guys who can shoot lights out pushes Hayward and Burks into more reasonable spots in the equation.
Who's starting/coming off the bench? Ideally, the Jazz make some moves to balance out the roster...unless Alec starts being used as an expensive 6th man.

They can't make a three to save their life!!! or to earn millions of dollars!!!

Gordon Hayward leads the Jazz in three point shooting at a blistering 35%, followed (not even closely) by Trey "dead eye" Burke at 31%. The last time a team shot this poorly from the three point line, Pistol Pete must have lead the league in scoring. To be fair, Alec is shooting 35%, but hasn't taken enough, to "count" along with a few other of our players.

Just compare a little:

Hawks: Kyle Korver 56%, D. Caroll 39%, P. Millsap 38%, Teaque 37%
Grizzlies: C. Lee 54%, Conley 44%
Wizards: R. Butler 52%, Beal 49%, P. Pierce 35%

The list goes on and on...Houston, Golden State, The Clippers, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Orlando, Phoenix, San Antonio etc.

You're Lindsey...what do you do?

We all know this, but I can't help myself from pointing out that these are all former jazzmen who left our team without a returning asset. ****.

Well, I think that is why he asked what DL was going to do to get some. I do not see Burke or Burks becoming dead eye 3 pt shooters, each okay but I don't think you can have two small like that start. We need another wing who can defend and shoot, although hood will fill some of that role. DMC would be a great addition. I think in time Enes will be a good 3 pt shooter.

And it will be interesting to see how this is handled going forward. This has really been a long term problem for the Jazz, they always seemed to feel that one designated 3 pt guy was enough: Korver, Memo, Foye. In the modern nba you cannot have enough. Jazz are 25th in percentage on 3s and 22nd in made 3s and about 25th in defending them percentage

Players generally don't become great three point shooters until after their rookie contract. Only the pure shooters (like Beal, Curry, Thompson) come around before.
So you have to be patient. Kanter is shooting 32% this year, which is actually pretty decent for a 22 year old 6'11" guy. The first year Kevin Love started shooting them
with any volume he finished at 33%, Kanter could get to 33% this year obviously.

Also its smart to watch for previous "busts" who etch out a veteran role as 3 point threats. Derrick Williams is at 40% 3PT this year and might be that type of player.
He can't do nothing in the post, but has a good frame and athleticism to be decent on the defensive end. Williams is a RFA next year and might be worth looking at to
get on the cheap.

One major part of this is the time that we have to shoot threes. Most are rushed. We have some capable shooters who can spread the floor, but we aren't spreading the floor for them. The offense piddles around with the ball and we off a lot of threes with -4 seconds on the shot clock.

The difference maker will be Exum when he starts to penetrate and create. Trey RARELY creates for others. Hayward does sometimes and we look good in those stretches. But we need to understand how to create space before we will shoot well. And then when we create, we have to knock them down.

We all know this, but I can't help myself from pointing out that these are all former jazzmen who left our team without a returning asset. ****.

At what point does Korver start passing up shots to protect his record?

DMC ONLY developed his 3PT shooting AFTER he left Utah and started working with Quin. Do you think he'd be the same player had he stayed in Utah? I don't.

When will we give up on this "got nothing for player X." That's generally how FA works. Every team has players leave each season and they get nothing for them. Houston got nothing for Parsons. They signed an alternate FA. The Millsap offer that was reportedly on the table was Paul and Burks for Bledsoe. With Bledsoe wanting a max contract, would that have been a good deal?

Philly unloaded their players for 2nd-rounders. Is a 2nd really worth obsessing about? How many 2nd's even make rosters or become rotation players?

I expect Hood to improve and eventually shoot 40% on his 3's. His form is just too solid to continue to struggle. Definitely need another wing who can shoot.
Also, I definitely don't agree with the statement that Favors and Hayward are "role players." This season they're putting up fringe all-star numbers. Favors' contract is fair. Yes, Hayward is overpaid. But WE didn't max him out. Jazz had to match the contract or lose him. There's a difference.

In the draft, via trade, or in free agency, the Jazz need to target "3 and D" players at wing, PG and PF. Trey needs to go. Just can't have a poor shooter starting at PG.

Good post overall.
I especially agree about hood. I expect him to be a ray Allen, Reggie Miller, hornacek, korver type player within a few years

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. We are so eager to "make moves", but look where we're at now, and look at the players we had but let go. What if we coaxed D. Williams into staying, we kept, Korver, Caroll, and Millsap, + Hayward. We could have still drafted Rudy and maybe gone after Trevor Ariza. We could have a starting five of:

PG: D-Will
SG: Hayward
SF: Ariza
PF: Millsap
C: Gobert

Bench:
SG: Korver
SF: Caroll

Then build a bench

I know it doesn't help the team to do this exercise, but neither does 98% of what we do on here.

^
Sorry, I don't see that team contending. And IMO, there was ZERO chance of coaxing DWill into staying. He wanted to form a "Big-3" and win a championship. He failed in convincing FA's to come to Utah.

As for Korver, he punched his ticket out of town when he ADMITTED to passing up shots to protect his 3PT FG% record. He was put in games to provide scoring. That was his job and he refused to put the team ahead of himself. I never, ever want to see that guy again.

I trade Favors and Trey Burke to Minnesota for Zach Lavine, Pekovic, and a draft pick.

Why?

Favors is our best player, but Rudy has the potential to be better. A Favors and Gobert duo will never make sense for the style we want to play. Yes, Favors' mid range is getting better, but he will never shoot 3's, therefore: no spacing. Also, this would make Favors the one gaurding PF's, which he doesn't thrive at. His value may never be higher than it is now, but as a team we still suck, so it is probably time to cash in.

A Kanter and Gobert duo has potential because their games complete each other. Gobert is a much more intimidating rim protector than Favors, and w/o Burke letting his man penetrate every posession, Kanter's defensive duties would be greatly minimized, allowing him to play more minutes and focus on what he does best--scoring and offensive rebounding. Most importantly though, Kanter and Gobert don't coast. They're both fighters with chips on their shoulders.

You trade Trey because he is wildly inefficient, and now you have Dante and Neto waiting in the wings. Dante has started becoming passive and defering as of late, a sign that the bench role is making him think he is a role player. We need him to be a star. Take away his floaties, e.g.,the second unit with Ingles, and make him swim, so he learns. Trey is our worst shooter on the team, but he takes the second most attempts a game --that is a huge problem. Trey is also a really, really poor defensive player in a league where perimeter defense is more important than ever. Trade him before he plays himself out of the league. Oh yeah, Trey's pace still sucks.

Pekovic has a big contract, but the deal really isn't for him. Pek and Boojer as bench bigs is pretty good though.

Lavine has star potential, and a sweet jumper when he calms down. As he's gotten more minutes lately, his production has increased as well. I think he has good defensive pitential as well.

Post trade deadline starting lineup of:

Dante
Hood
Hayward
Kanter
Gobert

Bench of:

Lavine
Burks
Ingles
Booker
Pekovic

Then we add players like Winslow, Oubre, or Towns and Neto in the offseason and go from there. If Kanter keeps playing well, we keep him, or we re-sign Mulsap because his deal is up w/ Hawks.

Good post overall.
I especially agree about hood. I expect him to be a ray Allen, Reggie Miller, hornacek, korver type player within a few years

Eh...those guys are the best shooters in the history of the NBA. I think Michael Redd is more his realistic ceiling.