What's new

Three teams that could use AK

NotDeadYet

I've been sayin' for a while I think Wes Matthews is way more valuable to us DOWN THE ROAD than AK, so hopefully we are looking at ways to trade AK the same way Minnesota just traded us Jefferson, i.e., with very little in salaried players coming to us.
Three teams jump out at me: Cleveland (lost LeBron), Toronto (lost Turkoglu & Bosh), and New Jersey (who cleared salary for LeBron). Not sure how much salary Toronto took on dealing Turkoglu, but I believe these 3 teams can take on a much bigger contract than they give up.
Comments?

If the Cavs could send us Jamison's $13.3 million salary and a draft pick for AK's $17.8 million salary that could be nice.

I don't think Toronto would touch AK... they will probably lose enough money on ticket sales as it is... the last thing they need is AK's salary on top of that.

New Jersey knows that they are going nowhere this year... so they will just offer him a mid level type deal next summer.

If the Cavs could send us Jamison's $13.3 million salary and a draft pick for AK's $17.8 million salary that could be nice.

I don't think Toronto would touch AK... they will probably lose enough money on ticket sales as it is... the last thing they need is AK's salary on top of that.

New Jersey knows that they are going nowhere this year... so they will just offer him a mid level type deal next summer.

No way Cleveland is going to part with any draft picks, they are going to suck and they know it and they want their picks.

No way Cleveland is going to part with any draft picks, they are going to suck and they know it and they want their picks.

Not to mention that Cleveland's owner guaranteed them a championship before the King gets his. So they're going after dwight howard, kobe bryant and chris paul at the moment.

Three teams jump out at me: Cleveland (lost LeBron), Toronto (lost Turkoglu & Bosh), and New Jersey (who cleared salary for LeBron). Not sure how much salary Toronto took on dealing Turkoglu, but I believe these 3 teams can take on a much bigger contract than they give up. Comments?

I'm still under the philosophy that there are FOUR TEAMS that could use AK

The team that could use him the most is the JAZZ

I don't want to eat AK's contract any more than anyone else, but I can see him playing better this year.

If Big Al plays center and AK backs up Millsap, I think he's going to have another breakout year; (If two breakout years are possible).

It is a contract year for him as well, and if we could resign him to right around 6 per year, I would be way excited about having him back.
If we can't, and he's not going to settle for that and wants to go for the gusto, let him go or trade him.

Can't we negotiate with him about an extension soon? Don't think I'm crazy saying that, because here is what I'm thinking; If we can get him to extend or let us know what he really wants to do, we'll know where we stand. Then we can either hang on to him and extend his contract, or dump/trade AK away for 4 second round draft picks. Since the Jazz don't like first round picks, or don't know how to use them wisely.

AK plays decent D. He has always guarded the other teams best player. From Kobe to Dirk. AK's the man.

I'm all for keeping him, if he's willing to recognize he was way overpaid and willing to take 6, or maybe 7 a year.
AK47 is worth that much to me and I believe to the Jazz as well.

This is how AK trades will work this year:

Before the season: Any team that wants him is either going to want to A) foist bad contracts on the Jazz or B) make the Jazz pay a premium to rent any Cap Space.

At the Deadline: AK's salary will have largely been paid. There will still be teams looking to trade him for bad contracts, but there would likely be better offers from Contenders. Those teams are likely willing to pay more tax while offering the Jazz partial Cap Relief if they think AK is a final puzzle piece. Those teams might get rid of an asset (pick/young player) to get him.

I'm sure KOC answers the phone for every AK deal. But his best chance to get any value is later, not now.

Nice idea to extend him. Could we offer him a longer contract at less $$$ per year?
I'm not at all against us keeping him, but I don't want his contract to cause us to let Matthews go. We also still need a reasonable quality backup SG to replace Korver. If our owners are OK with AK's contract, I'm not gonna worry 'bout it...
Back to Cleveland, Byron Scott likes guys who can play D, and AK's high-energy style would be a nice complement to Varejao.

I'm still under the philosophy that there are FOUR TEAMS that could use AK

The team that could use him the most is the JAZZ

I don't want to eat AK's contract any more than anyone else, but I can see him playing better this year.

If Big Al plays center and AK backs up Millsap, I think he's going to have another breakout year; (If two breakout years are possible).

It is a contract year for him as well, and if we could resign him to right around 6 per year, I would be way excited about having him back.
If we can't, and he's not going to settle for that and wants to go for the gusto, let him go or trade him.

Can't we negotiate with him about an extension soon? Don't think I'm crazy saying that, because here is what I'm thinking; If we can get him to extend or let us know what he really wants to do, we'll know where we stand. Then we can either hang on to him and extend his contract, or dump/trade AK away for 4 second round draft picks. Since the Jazz don't like first round picks, or don't know how to use them wisely.

AK plays decent D. He has always guarded the other teams best player. From Kobe to Dirk. AK's the man.

I'm all for keeping him, if he's willing to recognize he was way overpaid and willing to take 6, or maybe 7 a year.

i agreed w? all the above

What incentive does AK have to sign for 6-7 million a year? If that is his market value he can go out and get 6-7 million a year next year without giving up 10 mil this year. This makes no sense unless you are going to give him more years than other team which makes no sense either.

Well, if we extended his contract for three more years, he would still get his 17mil this year, there's no way out of if for the Jazz unless they trade or waive him.

But if he'd be willing to take a three year extension at 6 or 7 and get small raises every year, it wouldn't hurt him or us.

And if we signed him to an extension for that amount before the CBA, it really might not be that bad of an offer.

I'm sure after the CBA there won't be as much money to go around. Could he still get more than 7 per? Probably, but he might take it?

Heck, Steve Nash is going to make 10 this year and 11 the year after. Shawn Marion, who was a rumored swap for AK when at PHX is now making 7.3 mil per with raises up to 9.3 after 4 more years. I would prefer AK to take less, or stay around 7/yr, but he's only played one less year than Marion, so it's not a crazy stretch to see him sign something close to that deal. They are both probably the 4th or 5th best players on their respective teams too.

His family's lives here and he hasn't cried about Jerry for a couple of years. He might do it.

Well, if we extended his contract for three more years, he would still get his 17mil this year, there's no way out of if for the Jazz unless they trade or waive him.

But if he'd be willing to take a three year extension at 6 or 7 and get small raises every year, it wouldn't hurt him or us.

And if we signed him to an extension for that amount before the CBA, it really might not be that bad of an offer.

I'm sure after the CBA there won't be as much money to go around. Could he still get more than 7 per? Probably, but he might take it?

Heck, Steve Nash is going to make 10 this year and 11 the year after. Shawn Marion, who was a rumored swap for AK when at PHX is now making 7.3 mil per with raises up to 9.3 after 4 more years. I would prefer AK to take less, or stay around 7/yr, but he's only played one less year than Marion, so it's not a crazy stretch to see him sign something close to that deal. They are both probably the 4th or 5th best players on their respective teams too.

His family's lives here and he hasn't cried about Jerry for a couple of years. He might do it.

Get rid of the bum;)