What's new

Time to hide Al

Lion's Roar

When you have an important offensive player that is weak on defense then HIDE him on defense. Throw some zones out there. Newsflash NBA there are more zones than the 2-3 zone. Get Al out of the freakin' PnR. If you don't like that then take Al out of the primary PnR big on the other team. As soon as the high PnR comes Al way shift him to the less effective PnR big on the other team. Don't spend the whole game or season waiting for the player to get it. It might not even be an effort kind of problem. Some players have trouble moving sideways. That is very unlikely to change.

HIDE HIM.

When you have an important offensive player that is weak on defense then HIDE him on defense. Throw some zones out there. Newsflash NBA there are more zones than the 2-3 zone. Get Al out of the freakin' PnR. If you don't like that then take Al out of the primary PnR big on the other team. As soon as the high PnR comes Al way shift him to the less effective PnR big on the other team. Don't spend the whole game or season waiting for the player to get it. It might not even be an effort kind of problem. Some players have trouble moving sideways. That is very unlikely to change.

HIDE HIM.

its harder to hide a big on D then it is a guard. you can hide a guards flaws by placing a good rim defender behind them. a big is suppose to be the back up when the d breaks down on the front line. not even favors can help make up where jeffersuck lacks on d.

HIDE HIM.

With Big Al it is both. He does have trouble with that movement, granted. However, as posted here numerous times, sometimes he does not even try to. Even when he does it is poor but it is still loads better than not trying.

Play 2-1-2 zone or don't send any help on the PnR. Keep Al at the FT or a bit lower and give up the 20 footer or in some cases have the PG slip behind the screen and give up the 3 pointer. At least you won't put your whole defense scrambling to try and stop the PG blitzing trough the paint. I have some confidence that Al can and will contest the shot if he is at a position that doesn't rely on him to cover too much ground. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Play 2-1-2 zone or don't send any help on the PnR. Keep Al at the FT or a bit lower and give up the 20 footer or in some cases have the PG slip behind the screen and give up the 3 pointer. At least you won't put your whole defense scrambling to try and stop the PG blitzing trough the paint. I have some confidence that Al can and will contest the shot if he is at a position that doesn't rely on him to cover too much ground. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

These are good ideas LR, problem is that our coach is not nearly as smart as you or alot of us on jazzfanz so he will not be able to figure out a way to hide Al.

I've been told that the Jazz do play more zones this year but it doesn't work too well. Well it should. If you put Burks, Hayward and Marvin or Carroll out there you have a pretty long set of defenders to contest shots. I'm sure Ty know a whole lot more about basketball than me. But there is a need to try something different. I see 3 issues with playing the zone:

#1 fear of 3 point shots. Well try it. Cause with the defense scrambling you allow 3 pointers anyways. Besides a 3 pt shot that connects on 40% of the time is the equivalent of a 60% 2 pt shot. But layups and dunks are probably taken at a higher % than 60%.

#2 Zone is a wussy defense. No it's not. This isn't macho league (hear that Paul?) basketball. It's supposed to be about winning basketball.

#3 They're afraid it would embarrass Al and put him out there as a liability. Well that time as come and passed. Al is already seen as a liability by the whole league. Now his team shouldn't be concerned with possibly exposing him they should try and help him as much as they can.

Just throw a sheet over him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFCrmWd3jtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The other team runs the pick and roll with the big that Al is defending. If Al switches to a different big they'll run it through the other big. However, it would be wise to at least switch Al to the less potent big, but then it can expose Millsap's lack of size. There's just no easy solution when the C sucks and the PF is a bit undersized.

You can't hide a post player - it's impossible. It's called the "Center" position for a reason.

With Big Al it is both. He does have trouble with that movement, granted. However, as posted here numerous times, sometimes he does not even try to. Even when he does it is poor but it is still loads better than not trying.

This is truth, yes he doesn't move well lateraly, but sometimes he doesn't even bother to move!

This is truth, yes he doesn't move well lateraly, but sometimes he doesn't even bother to move!

And yet, he continues to start & play major minutes every single night. If I were the coach I'd bench his lazy butt for lack of effort when he doesn't even try. He'd be getting an earful from me every game.

(I'd have to get a step ladder first, which might hurt the spontaneity factor, but I'd make up for it in volume.)

Try hiding this:

LawnChair1_zpsc8454923.jpg

Watch the damn ball Al. It's basketball 101. You were taught this at 10 years old. The ball and your man. Watch them. Got it?

LawnChair2_zps372ed933.jpg

Seriously Al, what the hell were you doing? Please log in and explain to us fans exactly what was going on inside your head. Then please have Corbin log in and explain to us why he doesn't rip your sack off after every game. Please, Corbin, is it too much to ask for you to act like a coach and stop this silly bull crap? This is pure garbage from Big Al, plain and simple.

LawnChair3_zps4463d5a3.jpg

Oh, that's right. The coaching staff doesn't even bother responding to your moronic ways. They're happy sitting on their hands with 2:25 left to play and you lost in some fantasy world inside your head.

You can't prevent total lapses with coaching. It's the half lapses and the plays where effort isn't enough that could be helped by the team/coaching staff.

You can't prevent total lapses with coaching. It's the half lapses and the plays where effort isn't enough that could be helped by the team/coaching staff.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just hating on Al after having one of his all time worst defensive games and offering no effort whatsoever. Great thread!