What's new

Tony Jones: Hill and Gobert didn’t always see eye-to-eye

latin jazz

Have we heard about this before? http://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2017/10/12/what-weve-learned-and-havent-about-the-jazz-during-the-preseason/

It made me wonder a few things:
1) The FO has placed a big emphasis on team chemistry and a brand of unselfish basketball. With this becoming Rudy's team, do you guys think this was one of the reasons (besides money and injury concerns) why the team no longer pursued Hill in free agency?. It seems that the original extension offer was off the table once FA began. With Haywoods's future uncertain (and being Hill's pal), a Hill-Gobert team would made no sense.

2) In hindsight, it now seems obvious it was Hill the target of Gobert criticism midway through last season when he claimed that some teammates only worry about stats and not caring about winning.

3) Now that this is Rudy's team, you better work your tail off and stay committed to winning. With Rudy's being ultra-competitive, I think this sends a good message across the team and potential free agents. Do you think Rudy's profile reinforces the type of player (sometimes referred as Jazz DNA) we will be looking for in the future via draft or free agency?. For instance, now more clownish guys like Lyles and instead bring prospects like our boy Mitchell

Have we heard about this before? http://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2017/10/12/what-weve-learned-and-havent-about-the-jazz-during-the-preseason/

It made me wonder a few things:
1) The FO has placed a big emphasis on team chemistry and a brand of unselfish basketball. With this becoming Rudy's team, do you guys think this was one of the reasons (besides money and injury concerns) why the team no longer pursued Hill in free agency?. It seems that the original extension offer was off the table once FA began. With Haywoods's future uncertain (and being Hill's pal), a Hill-Gobert team would made no sense.

2) In hindsight, it now seems obvious it was Hill the target of Gobert criticism midway through last season when he claimed that some teammates only worry about stats and not caring about winning.

3) Now that this is Rudy's team, you better work your tail off and stay committed to winning. With Rudy's being ultra-competitive, I think this sends a good message across the team and potential free agents. Do you think Rudy's profile reinforces the type of player (sometimes referred as Jazz DNA) we will be looking for in the future via draft or free agency?. For instance, now more clownish guys like Lyles and instead bring prospects like our boy Mitchell

#2? Hill worried about stats? I never felt that.

#2? Hill worried about stats? I never felt that.

I think his comments were made after a loss to the Clippers. Hill didn't play particularly well.

I don't think Hill chased stats either. There were only a few games when he forced the issue (vs Sacramento being one). Rudy's remarks doesn't mean they were true or fair to this teammates, but it indicates he was clearly frustrated with at least one. And I think it was Hill.

I think Hill was a douche. His exit interview opened my eyes, it was all about him and Gordon, like he was our saviour. **** that dude, glad hes gone.

Hill could have signed with us - Jazz offered him a contract - but he and/or his agent thought he could get paid more and it turns out he didn't.

The guy is a mediocre defender at best. When he's frustrated with losing and playing for a team with a bunch of mostly non-experienced guys he's going to wish he had re-signed with us.

David Locke creamed all over himself for GHill ...the Jazz savior... part of the reason I only half listen to him

I think Hill was a douche. His exit interview opened my eyes, it was all about him and Gordon, like he was our saviour. **** that dude, glad hes gone.

Get real. Picking up Hill was an amazing move. Unfortunate injuries and apparently player personality conflict sank that move. But it was absolutely a good move.

You try way to hard.

So now we know who Rudy was calling out after the Clippers game. I knew it! I remember he barked at Hill at some point during the game and then the infamous statement after the game. Good for Rudy. We know who the leader of this team is. I hate that the Jazz made him apologize for it. He shouldn't have had to apologize. He was absolutely right on so many levels.

Last edited:
apparently player personality conflict sank that move. .

I don't believe this part to be true. I think this is more an afterthought now that Hill is gone.

I think the FO went sour on Hill for a couple of reasons: One, because I think they discussed his willingness to re-sign before they made the trade, and then felt betrayed after they offered him a **** ton of money and he declined.

Two, I think they were annoyed with him not trying to play through his injuries in the playoffs. Don't know for sure about this, but that's my hunch.

To be fair to Hill, I think he knew Haywood likely wasn't coming back, so I think it's understandable why he didn't sign the extension. In the end, he hurt himself financially and ended up on a bad team, so that ought to satisfy fans who are bitter. Depending on how the next 3 years go, he may have done the Jazz a big favor as well.

Also, I think we've all seen the frustration in Rudy when players have failed to get him the ball at the basket. I don't believe that was just a Hill thing. Rudy has improved his hands a great deal though, so I think the other players trust him more now to catch the ball.

The Jazz were 20-4 both Hill and Gobert starting in the first few months. Then I was amazed how good he was but my friends rooting for the Pacers had a warning for me: He's that good, yes but just wait a bit, he'll 'disappear'.

He managed to disappear half of the games with trivial injuries. He turned down the mid-season extension offer. Then in the summer he asked for a big contract he could not find elsewhere. His relationship with Rudy was not great either. In one instance he publicly called Rudy's comments 'immature'. He was really good on the floor, like historically good. Too bad off-the floor he was a 180 degree different story.

Hill was a very good player for us. In hindsight, I think there was some body language stuff that points to some rifts, but he was a very good player for us that sustained a nagging injury. He did nothing to warrant the vitriol that some of you have shown.

He managed to disappear half of the games with trivial injuries. He turned down the mid-season extension offer. Then in the summer he asked for a big contract he could not find elsewhere. His relationship with Rudy was not great either. In one instance he publicly called Rudy's comments 'immature'. He was really good on the floor, like historically good. Too bad off-the floor he was a 180 degree different story.

Turf Toe is not a trivial injury.

I'm glad we picked him up, without him we don't make the playoffs at all last year. That said, I'm glad he's gone because now we've got Ricky.

I hadn't realized we had basically turned into the Browns of the NBA with regard to the PG position until one of the Lakers announcers brought up the fact we've gone through 8 starting PGs in 8 years. Hopefully this is the last year of that trend.

I don't believe this part to be true. I think this is more an afterthought now that Hill is gone.

I think the FO went sour on Hill for a couple of reasons: One, because I think they discussed his willingness to re-sign before they made the trade, and then felt betrayed after they offered him a **** ton of money and he declined.

Two, I think they were annoyed with him not trying to play through his injuries in the playoffs. Don't know for sure about this, but that's my hunch.

To be fair to Hill, I think he knew Haywood likely wasn't coming back, so I think it's understandable why he didn't sign the extension. In the end, he hurt himself financially and ended up on a bad team, so that ought to satisfy fans who are bitter. Depending on how the next 3 years go, he may have done the Jazz a big favor as well.

Not near that complicated. They made it obvious that they would have have liked Hill back but knew that given what he was asking for there it was too much money to sign both he and GH. So they went and got Rubio. DL's comments about Hill at the end of season made it very clear how much the Jazz liked him. Just not in the cards from a $$$ standpoint.

Yeah, people are re-writing history here. Hill was great for us when he was able to play. I think he had a lot to do with Gobert improving his ability to catch the ball and to be in the right place to get the pass.

If he had signed the mid-season deal we'd all be talking about how happy were are, hope he stays healthy, blah blah blah.

I'm not 100% convinced I'm going to like Ricky more than Hill. I hope so.

Yeah, people are re-writing history here. Hill was great for us when he was able to play. I think he had a lot to do with Gobert improving his ability to catch the ball and to be in the right place to get the pass.

If he had signed the mid-season deal we'd all be talking about how happy were are, hope he stays healthy, blah blah blah.

I'm not 100% convinced I'm going to like Ricky more than Hill. I hope so.

Hill played at an all star level here, it cannot be disputed. With Hayward gone, we now have more need for a ball dominant PG to execute the offense. My view is last year Hill was the better PG for us, this year Rubio is the better fit.