What's new

Too Far?

Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/767118002

So, a man named Philippe Reines (a former Clinton aide) shared the address, phone number and email address of a bookstore on twitter. The Bookstore owner had called 911 on a woman who confronted Steve Bannon who was shopping and caused a scene. Owner asked her to leave and she refused so he called the police. At which point she left so he ended the call. No police arrived. Reines said he was “providing a service to the public”.

So thoughts? Is this too far? If something happens does this man share blame? Should there be charges for him if it does? At what point does political opposition go to far? Is it even possible to go to far?

The book store is a public business with a public address and phone number, right? I don't see what's special about this story.

The book store is a public business with a public address and phone number, right? I don't see what's special about this story.

I find the intention of the person to be interesting. Yes it’s public knowledge. But is his audience given the current climate..?

Just looking for opinion. Not sure what I think about it tbh.

Anyone calling this doxxing is lazy and/or bonestupid. All the information is publicly available.

That being said, it's a dick move. The store owner has actually said that he disagrees with Bannon on just about everything, but that he doesn't allow one customer to curse out another, period. That's personally reasonable, and I thought that even before I knew the owner's political views.

Yeah, I agree with gandalfe pretty much 100%. Calling out the bookstore is a dick move. You're being disruptive and the store owner asks you to leave... just leave. If I'm a store owner and I ask someone to leave and they don't, I call the police. Basic ****.

Now if I ask a person to leave my house and they don't leave, I'll call the police after they have been forcibly removed from my house. But if I own a business I'll let the police take care of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/767118002

So, a man named Philippe Reines (a former Clinton aide) shared the address, phone number and email address of a bookstore on twitter. The Bookstore owner had called 911 on a woman who confronted Steve Bannon who was shopping and caused a scene. Owner asked her to leave and she refused so he called the police. At which point she left so he ended the call. No police arrived. Reines said he was “providing a service to the public”.

So thoughts? Is this too far? If something happens does this man share blame? Should there be charges for him if it does? At what point does political opposition go to far? Is it even possible to go to far?

What's the story here? What's the issue? And what connection does Phillippe Reines have to this - was he there? Is he trying to shame someone - the customer, the bookstore owner, Steve Bannon? I just don't see why USA Today would even bother to report this. If you're questioning their (USA Today's) actions, then yes, they went too far.

What's the story here? What's the issue? And what connection does Phillippe Reines have to this - was he there? Is he trying to shame someone - the customer, the bookstore owner, Steve Bannon? I just don't see why USA Today would even bother to report this. If you're questioning their (USA Today's) actions, then yes, they went too far.

It’s being reported far and wide. Saw reports from Fox News to the Huddington Post.

Basically they are all writing it up as intended political backlash. Not on Bannon but the bookstore.

I’m just seeing what y’all think.

It’s being reported far and wide. Saw reports from Fox News to the Huddington Post.

Basically they are all writing it up as intended political backlash. Not on Bannon but the bookstore.

I’m just seeing what y’all think.
I think it's a silly thing to be outraged about. I don't think businesses need to take a political stand one way or another, they just need to run their business. If they choose to tie their business to a political side that's their choice, but I think it's a bad choice in general.

I also don't think a bookstore or a restaurant or whatever else, needs to allow you to vent your personal outrage at other patrons and run them off. If you do that you should expect to be asked to leave, and when asked you should leave. I'm not going to hold it against any business for not wanting to play host to ranting and raving people chasing off their other customers.

Hard to assess or pass judgment, since we don't have all the facts RE: this store owner, what this lady was saying, etc.

But as I understand things, seems like this guy Reines is kind of a douchebag.

I believe a store owner has every right to call the authorities on a customer who is unduly harassing another customer.

And if this store owner is the recipient of additional harassment in response to this incident as a response to Reines' tweet - i.e., Reines raising additional awareness to the situation, not necessarily divulging information that was already "public" - then I think it's fair to hold Reines partly responsible.

I still think it's stupid that anyone is even talking about this, or that media outlets are reporting it.

This is a result of the current quagmire of self-aggrandizing outrage our society is stuck in, and media outlets trying to cash in. They push anything and everything that could remotely be viewed as outrage in hopes of getting more outrage addicts to jump on the bandwagon to drive clicks and views. This is the rotten foundation of internet media eating away at anything substantial. Any port in a storm? Any tweet that implies moral outrage in a click-bait fight online.

For more evidence check out nearly anything yahoo puts out there as news. It is usually a line or 2 about how everyone in America is pissed at Trump and his supporters and why you should be too, with a minor intro into whatever "story" they are currently pushing, then 30 tweets from random people you have never heard of circle-jerking in the outrage frenzy, which obviously proves everyone in America is pissed off and you should be too (!!1!!!). It makes me yearn for the days when we actually had media outlets that actually did reporting and investigation. Those are rapidly going the way of the dodo.

For more evidence check out nearly anything yahoo puts out there as news. It is usually a line or 2 about how everyone in America is pissed at Trump and his supporters and why you should be too, with a minor intro into whatever "story" they are currently pushing, then 30 tweets from random people you have never heard of circle-jerking in the outrage frenzy, which obviously proves everyone in America is pissed off and you should be too (!!1!!!). It makes me yearn for the days when we actually had media outlets that actually did reporting and investigation. Those are rapidly going the way of the dodo.

Your Yahoo! news feed is based in part on what you have clicked and searched upon. I get a lot of Trump stuff, but rarely about how people are tweeting.

Your Yahoo! news feed is based in part on what you have clicked and searched upon. I get a lot of Trump stuff, but rarely about how people are tweeting.
That is funny because if I get a hint that it is tweet-based I stay away.