What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Jazz are 5th in ESPN BPI, 6th in Sagarin rankings, 8th in 538 rankings

You guys who bitch about the Jazz playing terribly need to breathe and develop some perspective.

They are going to finish somewhere 3-6 which is pretty amazing given the strength in the WC.

Been a fan since his Detroit days. But it's too good to come true.

Also, with Tobias the thing that needs to happen is we clearly need to be better than the clips. So things are trending in a direction that we could end up being the team with though pre-season. Good showing in the playoffs and he looks at that PF spot and says " if this team won 50 without me... has young guys getting better... now they add me... how good will it be?" Meanwhile Clips are having meetings with KD, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler?, Kyrie?... It might be easy to say... 4 year max on the table with a good young up and coming team... "I'm in".

LA weather is nice... but these guys want to win and get respect. I think he is gettable if we finish strong. When we were struggling it made me really worry about our ability in FA. I'm feeling a bit better about our chances now. Still a long shot, but I think he has more upside than I would have guessed.

Jazz are 5th in ESPN BPI, 6th in Sagarin rankings, 8th in 538 rankings

You guys who bitch about the Jazz playing terribly need to breathe and develop some perspective.

They are going to finish somewhere 3-6 which is pretty amazing given the strength in the WC.

I assume you're referring to my post.

I have perspective. I said they were playing terribly earlier in the season. Which is undeniable fact. Also, despite my pessimistic attitude this season I've always claimed that I think they will finish with 45-ish wins. I think that a lot of the time people read my posts and think I'm saying we are just awful. That's not the case. I just don't think we are as good as we were last year. Or as good as many of us expected we would be this year. 45 ish wins isn't terrible. It's just not the 50-55 many of us expected.

I assume you're referring to my post.

I have perspective. I said they were playing terribly earlier in the season. Which is undeniable fact.

No one disagreed with this. We simply said that the schedule was playing a part in our poor play and we would be much better when the schedule eased up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have perspective. I said they were playing terribly earlier in the season. Which is undeniable fact. Also, despite my pessimistic attitude this season I've always claimed that I think they will finish with 45-ish wins. I think that a lot of the time people read my posts and think I'm saying we are just awful. That's not the case. I just don't think we are as good as we were last year. Or as good as many of us expected we would be this year. 45 ish wins isn't terrible. It's just not the 50-55 many of us expected.

I think with the addition of Korver we might actually end up being a better team than last year. We had by far the toughest schedule in the league for much of the season which isn't an excuse but simply a fact. I think any team in the league would have been up and down through that brutal stretch. Also worth noting, right now we are 26-21, last year at this exact point in the season we were 19-28.

I think with the addition of Korver we might actually end up being a better team than last year. We had by far the toughest schedule in the league for much of the season which isn't an excuse but simply a fact. I think any team in the league would have been up and down through that brutal stretch. Also worth noting, right now we are 26-21, last year at this exact point in the season we were 19-28.

This is true... plus we expect DM will improve and I think his recent play suggests he has now.

It wasn’t our record during the tough part of the schedule that was troubling it was some ugly losses and not seeing improvement in some of the key guys. The defense was also off early which I think threw people a bit. If we were playing as poorly as we were some nights it was tough to believe we’d make hay once the schedule turned.

There were likely some mild struggles that became exaggerated because the schedule was so frickin tough.

Korver has been big... I was kinda shocked the reaction to the trade was so mixed.

Korver has been big... I was kinda shocked the reaction to the trade was so mixed.
I mean when even I approved of the trade you know it must have been a good one.

To be fair though I don't think the reactions were all that mixed. I know hack hated the trade but he is an idiot. I think thee hated it. Who else though?
I think like 80% of jazzfanz thought it was a good trade for the jazz

I mean when even I approved of the trade you know it must have been a good one.

To be fair though I don't think the reactions were all that mixed. I know hack hated the trade but he is an idiot. I think thee hated it. Who else though?
I think like 80% of jazzfanz thought it was a good trade for the jazz

There were some experts that I respect that were really "Meh" on the deal or slightly negative. It was a no-brainer.

One thing I wonder... we are close to having the 32M max salary open but not quite there. Would need to renounce some smaller salaries if we got a yes.... Niang, Neto options not picked up. I wonder if we move Bradley or our pick... maybe Neto if we don't plan on picking up the option. All those things can be done in the summer, but I just wonder if we make a super small salary move to set things up.

One thing I wonder... we are close to having the 32M max salary open but not quite there. Would need to renounce some smaller salaries if we got a yes.... Niang, Neto options not picked up. I wonder if we move Bradley or our pick... maybe Neto if we don't plan on picking up the option. All those things can be done in the summer, but I just wonder if we make a super small salary move to set things up.
Its only worth dumping those players if we get one of the big fish. If we don't get....

Harris
Middleton
Klay
KD
Kyrie
Cousins

then $32.7 million for year one of that max deal doesn't even matter.

Niko, Randle, and others shouldn't be $30+.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Its only worth dumping those players if we get one of the big fish. If we don't get....

Harris
Middleton
Klay
KD
Kyrie
Cousins

then $32.7 million for year one of that max deal doesn't even matter.

Niko, Randle, and others shouldn't be $30+.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

We have a chance to land KD? Then wtf are we talking about anyone else???

Man, decided to work from home today because I'm snowed in. Spent most of the day on the forums.

/facepalm

Also, with Tobias the thing that needs to happen is we clearly need to be better than the clips. So things are trending in a direction that we could end up being the team with though pre-season. Good showing in the playoffs and he looks at that PF spot and says " if this team won 50 without me... has young guys getting better... now they add me... how good will it be?" Meanwhile Clips are having meetings with KD, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler?, Kyrie?... It might be easy to say... 4 year max on the table with a good young up and coming team... "I'm in".

LA weather is nice... but these guys want to win and get respect. I think he is gettable if we finish strong. When we were struggling it made me really worry about our ability in FA. I'm feeling a bit better about our chances now. Still a long shot, but I think he has more upside than I would have guessed.

It'd be great if **** was that logical. Paul George would have joined the Lakers and they would have been the 2nd best team in the West. Or he would have joined the Jazz and they would have been the 2nd best team in the West. Utah is undeniably the best fit for Harris unless the Lakers want him.

Im pretty confident the Clippers won't make the playoffs. Their guard and big play isnt good enough and their best offensive players are bottom 10 percentile defenders.

LA is still LA though and he might wait on them. And if the Clippers miraculously get two stars (I'm very skeptical), then the Lakers might sign Tobias Harris because the star market will be that much thinner.