What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

I'm also a firm believer in Dante, and I also think he's almost untradable, not because he's that important for our future (although I think he can be), but because I consider his potential value to be so much greater than anything anyone would give for him.

According to inside the nba, Rubio, Donovan, ingles, Jae, and gobert are the best 5 man on the court in +/- in the entire nba. Rubio can’t be **** if that’s the case. Move along trolls
Fair point.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

He was also negative in +/-. Someone has to score on a terrible team
Come on man. He was a minus 2. His team lost by 19. His team tying to tank. He was efficient. He had 9 assists and 7 rebounds. He played great. No way around it.

Btw, someone has to score on good teams too. Such a stupid comment.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

So let's run through the numbers. We know our Front Office overvalues and is sometimes reluctant to scrap what we have for the prospects of something new. Let's just say we bring back Rubio at $10 million (pretty fair I guess) and Udoh OR Thabo at $2 while we let the other one go:

For 2019-20, we have the following contracts:
Gobert $25
Favors $16.9 (team option)
Ingles $12
Rubio $10
Exum $10
Crowder $7.8
Korver $7.5
Mitchell $3.6
Allen $2.5
Bradley $2
Udoh/Thabo $2
Neto $2 (team option)
Niang $1.6 (team option)
O'Neale $1.6 (team option)
Draft pick cap hold $2
TOTAL: $106 million (salary cap is $109 for 2019-20)

So in other words, if we brought back Favors, Korver, Neto, Niang, O'Neale, Rubio at $10 and either Thabo or Udoh at $2, we are pretty much capped out. We would only have the MLE to spend.

For those people who love Favors and Rubio AND think DL is planning something big this summer, you can't have both.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Jazz can have about $39 million to dangle at top level FAs and then if no takers they would probably pick up Faves options and try to bring back Rubio if there's no better options out there. DL can be keeping space in the hope of luring a 3rd guy, and also still love Favors and Rubio and keep the option open to bring them back.

Also I'd imagine Rubio would net more than $10 million in next years market if you consider $15million is about baseline starter salary.

Jazz can have about $39 million to dangle at top level FAs and then if no takers they would probably pick up Faves options and try to bring back Rubio if there's no better options out there. DL can be keeping space in the hope of luring a 3rd guy, and also still love Favors and Rubio and keep the option open to bring them back.

Also I'd imagine Rubio would net more than $10 million in next years market if you consider $15million is about baseline starter salary.

Rubios market will be fascinating. I only want to retain him if it’s team friendly. I can’t see another team that I think would give him more than 10M. I can see him thinking he’s worth more than that... especially to us. 12-15 is fair given his limitations and clunky fit at times. Will he give us a slight discount? Will he try to make a bit more and bolt to Phoenix or Orlando (not sure they have space). Maybe NY if they miss on prime options. We could see another DL one year overpay with a team option when we miss our target in FA. More powder drying talk.

Rubios market will be fascinating. I only want to retain him if it’s team friendly. I can’t see another team that I think would give him more than 10M. I can see him thinking he’s worth more than that... especially to us. 12-15 is fair given his limitations and clunky fit at times. Will he give us a slight discount? Will he try to make a bit more and bolt to Phoenix or Orlando (not sure they have space). Maybe NY if they miss on prime options. We could see another DL one year overpay with a team option when we miss our target in FA. More powder drying talk.

I think this is the most-likely route if he were to come back. The reason being we only have this offseason and next offseason w/ Donovan on a rookie deal, which means only these two offseasons with max-level cap space.

I think this is the most-likely route if he were to come back. The reason being we only have this offseason and next offseason w/ Donovan on a rookie deal, which means only these two offseasons with max-level cap space.
Exactly. This means we need to be aggressive and not just re-sign what we have. I feel that we need to make the decision before the break between Rubio and Favors. Bringing both back means more of the same mediocrity going forward. And it would be mediocrity filled with an aging roster (Ingles, Favors, Rubio, Gobert, Korver, Crowder).

Exactly. This means we need to be aggressive and not just re-sign what we have. I feel that we need to make the decision before the break between Rubio and Favors. Bringing both back means more of the same mediocrity going forward. And it would be mediocrity filled with an aging roster (Ingles, Favors, Rubio, Gobert, Korver, Crowder).

This is exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Jazz are clearly keeping cap space open in 2019 to be aggressive... but if they can't land a FA, then they more than likely will bring back Faves and Rubio and try again next offseason. Why would we "need" to make a decision on Favors and Rubio before the break? That doesn't make sense.

This is exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. Jazz are clearly keeping cap space open in 2019 to be aggressive... but if they can't land a FA, then they more than likely will bring back Faves and Rubio and try again next offseason. Why would we "need" to make a decision on Favors and Rubio before the break? That doesn't make sense.
I thought you were saying that we really only have two offseasons with a ton of money before Mitchell and others earn more money which means we need to do something now.

I didn't know you meant the front office acts like something might happen, do the same ole **** and not get aggressive. If that's your plan, it sucks.

We need to make a decision on Favors and Rubio now because waiting is only going to lead to re-signing for fear of the "breaking up team chemistry" excuse.

I thought you were saying that we really only have two offseasons with a ton of money before Mitchell and others earn more money which means we need to do something now.

I didn't know you meant the front office acts like something might happen, do the same ole **** and not get aggressive. If that's your plan, it sucks.

We need to make a decision on Favors and Rubio now because waiting is only going to lead to re-signing for fear of the "breaking up team chemistry" excuse.

I think it's funny when fans associate a lack of moves with a lack of trying. Obviously the Jazz will try to make the team better at any opportunity, but if the opportunity cost is too high then it won't happen. Just because we don't hear about the Jazz kicking the can on deals doesn't mean they aren't doing it. For all we know Jazz could be one of the most aggressive teams out there? Definitely seems so with the amount of trades they've made in recent years.

We don't need to make a decision at all on them before this trade deadline. That decision can come next offseason and the offseason after that if need be. Trading them to take on bad money for the sake of being "aggressive" is just poor team management. Jazz need another star and unfortunately don't have the assets to acquire one via trade so will have to try the route of Mitch/Gobert recruiting in FA.

A name I haven't seen mentioned that I'm sure a lot of playoff teams may target is Bulls Justin Holiday. He's been a real threat from deep, could upgrade the O'Neale role for this team.
This is the same guy that the Jazz cut in camp and then lit it up for the Idaho Stampede. I don't think Quin and DL are ready to admit they were idiots once.

I was recently listening to Ben Dowsett's Sharp Notes podcast and Tony Jones was his guest. At the end of the pod he asked Jones "gun to your head, is Ricky Rubio on the Jazz next season?" Tony thought about it for a bit and finally said, "I'm gonna say no". Dowsett said he's leaning towards no as well. I just thought it was interesting. Tony Jones has also said multiple times on twitter that the Jazz believe they can be players in 2019 free agency.

I think it's funny when fans associate a lack of moves with a lack of trying. Obviously the Jazz will try to make the team better at any opportunity, but if the opportunity cost is too high then it won't happen. Just because we don't hear about the Jazz kicking the can on deals doesn't mean they aren't doing it. For all we know Jazz could be one of the most aggressive teams out there? Definitely seems so with the amount of trades they've made in recent years.

We don't need to make a decision at all on them before this trade deadline. That decision can come next offseason and the offseason after that if need be. Trading them to take on bad money for the sake of being "aggressive" is just poor team management. Jazz need another star and unfortunately don't have the assets to acquire one via trade so will have to try the route of Mitch/Gobert recruiting in FA.
In free agency, we didn't try. In the opening minutes of free agency, we met with Favors and then overpaid him. Since we picked up Thabo's option about the same time, we were capped out. We had Exum's Bird rights so we kept him.

At the end of the day, we swapped Stockton for Grayson and Jerekbo for Niang. We didn't sign a single player in free agency despite being one of the only teams in all of free agency with cap space.

This summer, a ton of teams will have cap space but also, half the NBA is a free agent this summer. If we wait for summer, almost all signs point to Rubio and Favors staying. We are that loyal.

So yes, I think we need to decide on Favors vs Rubio by the deadline. If not, expect more of the same next year.

I was recently listening to Ben Dowsett's Sharp Notes podcast and Tony Jones was his guest. At the end of the pod he asked Jones "gun to your head, is Ricky Rubio on the Jazz next season?" Tony thought about it for a bit and finally said, "I'm gonna say no". Dowsett said he's leaning towards no as well. I just thought it was interesting. Tony Jones has also said multiple times on twitter that the Jazz believe they can be players in 2019 free agency.

That is very, very interesting.

I want Rubio back. Just think if Rubio is gone and we don't get anyone..... We get Exum at the point again..... yuck

Who are the free agent point guards this year?

Looks like Kemba, Dinwiddie, Bledsoe, Rondo and Trey Burke. Dragic and Teague have player options. Not terribly impressive.

Last edited: