What's new

Trade Idea with Golden State

David Stern

Basically, I want DeMarcus Cousins really bad. Since its looking like he's going to fall to 6, we need to trade up and pick him somehow. Just throwing this trade idea out there:

Millsap, Koufos, and Memphis Pick to GS for Turiaf and #6.

Why would GS do this? They need a low-post scorer pretty desperately. Millsap has a great contract and would thrive in their system next to Biedrins. They don't have any use in taking another wing, and they can't really take Cousins with this pick. Koufos would give them a good backup PF to Millsap as well.

We then draft Xavier Henry at 9, and go into next season with a lineup that looks like this:

C Cousins, Okur, Fess
PF Boozer, Turiaf
SF Kirilenko, Miles, Jeffers
SG Matthews, Henry
PG Deron, Price, Gaines

Thoughts? I know the majority of my trade ideas get dismissed because they don't really help the other team much, but this one does!

Last edited:
If we can resign boozer ill do it, but thats not gonna happen.

So if we didn't resign Boozer, our lineup would look like this with my trade:
C Cousins, Okur, Fess
PF Kirilenko, Turiaf
SF CJ, Korber, Jeffers
SG Matthews, Henry
PG Deron, Price, Gaines

You don't think that team would be pretty good headed forward?

I heard that Locke was saying yesterday that the Jazz are trying really hard to trade up to get the #5 pick. Unfortunately I think the Jazz are trying to get Monroe and not Cousins. I know there is a pretty big risk with Cousins, but I think the Jazz need someone in the middle who can dominate.

Hearing all this stuff about Favors, I can't help but remember hearing about Williams...Marvin. Marvin Williams was supposed to change basketball, and he has done nothing. You can have Favors. Give me Cousins. I know what Cousins did in college and it looked good. Favors...well supposedly it was the system holding him back. Give me Cousins.

C Cousins, Okur, Fess
PF Kirilenko, Turiaf
SF CJ, Korber, Jeffers
SG Matthews, Henry
PG Deron, Price, Gaines

I would rather have AK at the 3 and Okur at the 4 with this line up. That gives us a very tall line up down low. When was the last time the jazz started 3 guys in the 6'10 range?

C Cousins, Okur, Fess
PF Kirilenko, Turiaf
SF CJ, Korber, Jeffers
SG Matthews, Henry
PG Deron, Price, Gaines

No post presence whatsoever. This squad would struggle to score I think.

U don't call Cousins a post presence? Are you serious? He has the best post game out of anyone in the draft and was the best big in college basketball. NO FREAKIN ARGUMENT! If we don't have to give up the 9th pick like you said I do this deal

I don't want to trade Millsap for an unproven.

I'd do so with Kirilenko. Not with Millsap, especially with Boozer unlikely to return.

U don't call Cousins a post presence? Are you serious? He has the best post game out of anyone in the draft and was the best big in college basketball. NO FREAKIN ARGUMENT! If we don't have to give up the 9th pick like you said I do this deal

Your plan is to rely on a guy who is slipping the lottery and has been compared to Derick Coleman to replace your 20-10 guy? Um ok good luck with that.

Derrick Coleman was a 20-10 guy...

This is all beside the point that GS would laugh KOC off the phone if this was actually floated. The Warriors don't play or want undersized, hustle PFs. If a guy can't shoot the 3, usually the only way they get on the floor is as a C, and Millsap is a far cry from an NBA C. And the Memphis pick might not ever even be a pick. It's AK and #9 or it's nothing.

I heard that Locke was saying yesterday that the Jazz are trying really hard to trade up to get the #5 pick.

I keep hearing the Jazz are trying to move up, but nobody has been able to explain what assetts the Jazz have to move up with.

The Memphis pick has good protections on it, but maybe a team values a late lottery pick in 2011-2015, or cash.
The logjam at the wing is gone.
Kofus was revealed in the playoffs.
AK's expiring maybe, but then you have to take garbage back, and you better be absolutely certain that Boozer is coming back before you ship AK out.
I guess if the other team has a bad contract the jazz could agree to take back garbage in exchange for swaping picks.

Does somebody have any ideas what the jazz would offer to move up?

I keep hearing the Jazz are trying to move up, but nobody has been able to explain what assetts the Jazz have to move up with.

The Memphis pick has good protections on it, but maybe a team values a late lottery pick in 2011-2015, or cash.
The logjam at the wing is gone.
Kofus was revealed in the playoffs.
AK's expiring maybe, but then you have to take garbage back, and you better be absolutely certain that Boozer is coming back before you ship AK out.
I guess if the other team has a bad contract the jazz could agree to take back garbage in exchange for swaping picks.

Does somebody have any ideas what the jazz would offer to move up?
You just spelled it out, except you left out the #9 pick in the draft and a kingly expiring.

Why do the Jazz need to be certain Boozer stays if AK is traded? Has he played more than 50% of a season well in the last 5 years? That's the purpose of moving up, isn't it (to fill what is certain to be a massive talent loss this offseason)?

You just spelled it out, except you left out the #9 pick in the draft and a kingly expiring.

Why do the Jazz need to be certain Boozer stays if AK is traded? Has he played more than 50% of a season well in the last 5 years? That's the purpose of moving up, isn't it (to fill what is certain to be a massive talent loss this offseason)?

Most teams with higher picks are under the cap already, so why trade for an expiring?

Most teams with higher picks are under the cap already, so why trade for an expiring?
That's what makes GS particularly unique. They won't be under the cap and they have one contract they don't want (Maggette), and two contracts they sure as hell shouldn't want (Ellis and Biedrins).

Regardless, though, there are three salary situations every team in the NBA is in.
1) Under the cap
2) Over the cap while under the tax
3) Over the tax

Of those three, the one situation that actually demands salary shedding the LEAST is #2. In scenario #1, a team should look to get as far under the cap as possible in order to pursue free agents. In scenario #3, costs shoot through the roof and can become very risky for many teams. With GS, however, they're getting close to the LT and are horrible. Shedding salary should be of high priority for them.

So you're in favor of trading 1 yr 17 mil for 3 yr 31 mil to get the chance to draft Greg Monroe?

EDIT: 15% is invoked here, since I believe GSW can't take an extra 7 mil next year.

To get Cousins, absolutely. Not Monroe. Whether it's Cousins or Monroe is biggest risk.