What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

Tremendous Upside

I listened to a pod with Sarah Todd on it last night. She's not my fav but she laid out the situation perfectly... he's playing to make Rudy Gay happy and to keep the peace. His comments from last year about "not doing his job" and periodic temper tantrums all support this case. The fact that Hardy has even started throwing him some vintage Rudy Gay post ups is hilarious. Hardy is managing this situation until the find an out.
While I think there's some truth to this... it's almost unheard of to play totally unproductive veterans just to "keep the peace".

You buy these guys out or tell them to go home to keep the peace.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
While I think there's some truth to this... it's almost unheard of to play totally unproductive veterans just to "keep the peace".

You buy these guys out or tell them to go home to keep the peace.
I think he does some things that help. I think his on/off numbers suggesting he is a net positive is really rich though. He's a negative player. If we had someone awesome pushing him for minutes I think Hardy makes the switch. Those minutes should be invested elsewhere though and I think the primary reason he plays was to hope he would be good enough someone eats his salary and now it is to keep the peace as we likely have given up hope on him being good. If he had an expiring contract I'm sure we'd buy him out... since he has another year left and that is a 13M bullet they will wait and see if they can sneak him into a deal before Feb 9. At that point he will be bought out or sent home if he is a locker room distraction.

Saint Cy of JFC

I think he does some things that help. I think his on/off numbers suggesting he is a net positive is really rich though. He's a negative player. If we had someone awesome pushing him for minutes I think Hardy makes the switch. Those minutes should be invested elsewhere though and I think the primary reason he plays was to hope he would be good enough someone eats his salary and now it is to keep the peace as we likely have given up hope on him being good. If he had an expiring contract I'm sure we'd buy him out... since he has another year left and that is a 13M bullet they will wait and see if they can sneak him into a deal before Feb 9. At that point he will be bought out or sent home if he is a locker room distraction.
I think "keeping the peace" is a bad way to phrase it. If Gay didnt play, the locker-room wouldn't erupt in a civil war. No one would care. I think that is what people picture in their mind when they hear "keep the peace". I struggle to see how Gay could truly be distracting.

But by playing him, Hardy probably gets some vet leadership type buy in where Gay is helping in practice and what not more than he may if he wasnt playing at all. Maybe once the deadline has passed and DA has shown Gay he has done everything possible to trade him, they will buy him out and/or send him home, idk.

mdalby

Contrary to popular opinion, I think Rudy Gay can contribute. He does fine defensively and rebounding and blocking out and some midrange or post ups. BUT NEVER EVER SHOOT ANOTHER 3. EVER!

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Knicks gotta Knick I guess... Always thinking their players are top of the players that are available, because they hold leverage. Obi has VERY little trade value

View: https://twitter.com/NBATradeReport/status/1618365505408217090

I think Obi has some value. I am guessing they are doing this and then it comes out they will only give their protected 1st rounders. Just like they would have given us like 6 first rounders but 4 were protected and no bueno.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Contrary to popular opinion, I think Rudy Gay can contribute. He does fine defensively and rebounding and blocking out and some midrange or post ups. BUT NEVER EVER SHOOT ANOTHER 3. EVER!
He's a turnstile on defense... he does rebound and is big though. Its the offense that is the biggest issue.

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
The Suns purchase is supposed to be official before the trade deadline. They could be a potential trade partner for us.