Trump abandons Kurdish allies to Turkish invasion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zombie, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    IMG_20191006_221333.jpg

This will effectively put the region into Turkish control, and cast the fate of thousands of captured ISIS prisoners into doubt.

I don't know what options the Kurds have here.

This statement doesn't read like there was consultation with either the State Dept, or DoD, the language is very Trumpian.

I'm getting a wag the dog kind of vibe from it.

2. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Seems like an ISIS prisoners for looking the other way on Kurdistan agreement.

I can see Erdogan just burying them alive tbh.

3. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    The ISIS prisoners are being held by Kurdish forces though.

4. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    oh, so we aren’t even ditching anyone? A terrible deal made into a horrendous one.

the Kurds are far more our ally than Erdogans Turkey.

5. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Sad. They’ve been our primary allies for almost a decade. Even before the Iraqi invasion we worked to keep Saddam from attacking them. And now we’re just going to leave them, like that? Are we trusting that Turkey won’t massacre these guys? Hmmm

All well. At least Trump is working to eliminate corruption. Since Trump has clearly divested I’m sure no one will think that his past business dealings have any effect on current foreign policy...

Wes Mantooth and Zombie like this.
  6. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    I bet we can all expect Lindsay to stand up to Donald tomorrow morning. After all, he once felt like this:

Wes Mantooth, colton and Zombie like this.
  7. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    This is what makes the statement kind of puzzling. How can Turkey be made responsible for captured ISIS fighters when they are in the hands of the people Turkey is planning to invade?

I don't see any sort of cooperation between the two groups on this front, considering what Turkey's plans are.

Honestly this just seems like a recipe for a lot of ISIS terrorists to end up free, one way or the other.

So yeah, you're right. A disaster on all fronts.

The Thriller likes this.
  8. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    This is an issue that actually has the potential to cause a real rift between Trump and the rest of the party.

Not that I'm holding my breath, mind you.

colton and The Thriller like this.
  9. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    “Fake news. We’re not actually abandoning them. Why don’t you ever report that we’re supporting them? This is why the American people don’t trust The lame stream media. You’re just so focused on criticizing this president that you’ve become delusional. Great Leader is actually supporting them more than Obama ever did. Why didn’t you ever criticize Obama for abandoning them? Remember Obama’s red line? And flexibility? The democrat party has now been exposed as the globalists that they are.”

I agree that this has the potential to really create a wedge between himself and his party. Unfortunately, it seems like his party is so afraid of being primaried that they’ll let him get away with anything, even if it hurts our foreign policy for the next few generations. The Kurds were one of our few stable allies in that region. Wonder how future groups will feel when we ask them to be our allies? Think they’ll trust us?

I can’t help but wonder if this benefits Putin? Seems like our foreign policy is extremely Kremlin friendly these days. And if not Putin, what deal does Trump have with turkey? What’s he gaining financially? Wish Barr would look at that.

Zombie likes this.
  10. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Just a reminder that Trump has business interests that he hasn't divested from in Turkey.

NAOS and The Thriller like this.
  11. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011

Military brass aren't going to be getting much sleep tonight.

12. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    I always heard that Mattis would speak out if things got bad. Are we there yet? How about Kelly? Is he going to open up or is he fine with his legacy being what it is now? HR McMaster, you cool with this? I don’t want to hear about how courageous these ***** generals are, I want to see it. The country is in an existential crisis and it appears they’re afraid of a tweet. Letting the president destroy the government because you “respect the office” is a lame *** excuse for not standing up to authoritarians. I’ve heard that excuse too, that many don’t want to speak out because tradition. I’m even willing to call ouT former presidents, Bush and Obama, Time to speak out. Time to wake the **** up.

13. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Also part of the deal...Trump has agreed to hand over Kanter to Erdogan.

The Thriller likes this.
  14. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    Lol. If that ever happened I’d hope Toronto would sign him.

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  15. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    We're practiced at abandoning allies that helped us war. We abandoned the Hmong of Laos at the end of the Vietnam War...

16. Harambe

Harambe Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    It was only a matter of time before that doofy guy popped up in this thread.

17. DasJazz

DasJazz Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If this type of move creates a vacuum of terrorism uprising like when Obama did the same thing in Iraq than Trump will lose a ton of if not all of my support.

18. Harambe

Harambe Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    If you just ask, I'm sure he'll let you suck it. He won't pay you like he did Stormy, but you'll get that baby gravy just the same.

19. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    What if it doesn’t lead to the massive spread of ISIS but to a mass genocide of the Kurds?

20. The Thriller

Jun 8, 2010
    I’m sure the pro Trump morons will ignore this inconvenient story. But it’s relevant given how our foreign policy is directed according to our president’s personal financial needs: