What's new

Trump signs executive order to promote investment in urban communities

Hotdog

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/12/trump-sign-executive-order-opportunity-zones/

I know everyone here wants to ignore stuff like this, so Ill post it.

Its a lot easier to just see negative things when thats all you look for. But there are actually things Trump is doing that are good.

I wonder why CNN and other liberal media wont put this on blast like they do with 24/7 russia coverage. Dont you ever feel like you might be being manipulated just a little bit?o_O

Trololololololololol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Typical. You dont dare to give an honest and sincere response to the article. I truly believe that that the liberal narrative has people like you who are more moderate than far left, have any other opinion than one of the far left. They have bullied you into being scared to express your true thoughts.

You know Im not wrong. Ive seen enough of your thoughts to know that you are a reasonable person who does sway too far left or right. But when it comes to Trump, you are scared.

So, his answer to poverty is to sell poor neighborhoods to corporations? I mean, all it's doing, from what I read, is providing tax cuts to rich bastards who invest in certain areas. I predict a massive explosion of Taco Bells and McDonalds in these areas.

So, his answer to poverty is to sell poor neighborhoods to corporations? I mean, all it's doing, from what I read, is providing tax cuts to rich bastards who invest in certain areas. I predict a massive explosion of Taco Bells and McDonalds in these areas.

How else do you think poor neighborhoods get richer? You dont think investment is a good idea?

It seems like you are just trying to find a reason to say something negative about it.

You do know that these "rich bastards" also invest in areas that have good ecomomics, opportunities, etc... (aka white privilege)

How else do you think poor neighborhoods get richer? You dont think investment is a good idea?

It seems like you are just trying to find a reason to say something negative about it.
If you want to invest in an area to build the prosperity of the area, you don't give the money to major corporations. You give it to the people who actually live there. Give them good jobs, give them seed money to start businesses. Don't just give capital gains tax credits. I mean, that's just trickle down by another name.

Like so many other things whether or not this ends up being helpful to low income areas will come down to the details of how it's implemented.

I'm (more than) a little skeptical of a tax incentive for real estate developers pushed for by the Trump's and Kushner's who are themselves... real estate developers.

Last edited:
Every time I hear Trump has done something that sounds good, it always turns out that it will enrich him, his family and friends. Prior to his presidency, I couldn't find examples of him doing anything for anyone that wasn't a benefit to himself, and it appears nothing has changed.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lmfao. You can’t make up how dumb this thread is.

Yeah, Trump the Philanthropist. What a great guy.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/12/trump-sign-executive-order-opportunity-zones/

Its a lot easier to just see negative things when thats all you look for. But there are actually things Trump is doing that are good.

I wonder why CNN and other liberal media wont put this on blast like they do with 24/7 russia coverage. Dont you ever feel like you might be being manipulated just a little bit?o_O
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/politics/trump-kushner-opportunity-zone/index.html

CNN "put it on blast"

The false narrative that CNN doesn't report positive info about Trump is ignorant garbage for stupid people to feed on.

If those Taco Bell’s and McDonalds are owned and operated by minorities and citizens from these areas that’s still a fantastic thing.

Yes I’m aware he’s justifying his own personal gain behind a mask of helping minorities. So his motives are bad. But those citizens still likely profit.

As previously stated it’s all how it’s implemented. I don’t have high hopes but we will see.

Now if this is done right and he gets some good criminal justice reform done I will give much more weight to his helping minorities.

My initial thoughts on this program.
The good:
1) This tax break will result in increased investment/development to the designated areas.
2) Increased investment will create job opportunities for those in the area.
3) Increased investment will improve the services available in these areas.
4) Increased job opportunities and services will improve desirability of area.

The bad:
1) This tax break seems to be only for capital gains. This means the benefit is only available after selling property, which encourages short-term investing.
2) As desirability of an area increases, the cost of living increases, making it harder on the most economically burdened.
3) It is not clear if this will creates more investment or just shift investment from upper/middle class areas to low income areas. If it does not create more investment it would reduce the living quality of areas investment is shifted away from. Furthermore, if this does not create more investment this tax break will actually reduce the taxes received by the IRS. So, it could be both shifting investment away from the middle class areas, and increasing the relative tax burden on the middle class (since poor don't pay and it gives a break to the rich).

Overall:
1) I expect that this program will benefit low income areas, but that it will be at the expense of the middle class.
2) A more lasting impact would be achieved by providing a tax break on ordinary income to businesses within designated areas.
3) The success of this program is based entirely on which areas qualify. If areas are included that are already attractive for investment there will be no benefit, but there will be lost tax revenue.

Last edited:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/politics/trump-kushner-opportunity-zone/index.html

CNN "put it on blast"

The false narrative that CNN doesn't report positive info about Trump is ignorant garbage for stupid people to feed on.

Did you read the article? Its just a spin job to make it seem like its just Trump trying help his friends.

Putting on blast means airing the story over and over. They spun it and put it to bed as quickly possible. Then got back to 24/7 news coverage of Russia. Actually, if you'll notice, the same thing will just happen with Jazzfanz posters and this thread. Including you. You have just a quick negative thought, then dip out.

My initial thoughts on this program.
The good:
1) This tax break will result in increased investment/development to the designated areas.
2) Increased investment will create job opportunities for those in the area.
3) Increased investment will improve the services available in these areas.
4) Increased job opportunities and services will improve desirability of area.

The bad:
1) This tax break seems to be only for capital gains. This means the benefit is only available after selling property, which encourages short-term investing.
2) As desirability of an area increases, the cost of living increases, making it harder on the most economically burdened.
3) It is not clear if this will creates more investment or just shift investment from upper/middle class areas to low income areas. If it does not create more investment it would reduce the living quality of areas investment is shifted away from. Furthermore, if this does not create more investment this tax break will actually reduce the taxes received by the IRS. So, it could be both shifting investment away from the middle class areas, and increasing the relative tax burden on the middle class (since poor don't pay and it gives a break to the rich).

Overall:
1) I expect that this program will benefit low income areas, but that it will be at the expense of the middle class.
2) A more lasting impact would be achieved by providing a tax break on ordinary income to businesses within designated areas.
3) The success of this program is based entirely on which areas qualify. If areas are included that are already attractive for investment there will be no benefit, but there will be lost tax revenue.

You have to hold the property for 10 years before the tax is defered. It helps to read the details.

What the Trump supporters don’t realize is that Trump is controlled dissidence, to keep an incident like the yellow jackets in France from happening. Drain the swamp? He’d be lucky if he knew how to drain his bathtub.

You have to hold the property for 10 years before the tax is defered. It helps to read the details.
I don't think the 10 year holding rule should impact any of my points, except that it will help to deter the short term investing focus (at least until you near the 10 year qualification date). More importantly, the 10 year rule significantly decreases the incentive to invest and therefore the impact of this tax break.