What's new

TyCo's Court Philosophy

franklin

I received an epiphany recently in a dream conversation with Coach Sloan. I almost feel embarrassed it's taken this long to make sense of what Corbin has been doing, but us geniuses can't be expected to figure everything out overnight.

Last year in the playoffs the Jazz got crushed by the Spurs transition offense but guarded them fairly well in comparison when they could get back and force 1/2 court play. I'm seeing the same thing this season as well. Jazz are getting crushed by teams with good running ability (Coach Karl's Denver team) but have been doing fairly well against those with structured half court play (Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas, and Boston). This is easily attributable to a physical talent gap that, to me, is highly visible with this year's Jazz team and even more so with last season's.

82games.com agrees. Jazz have their highest eFG% in the 0-10 second range at .518, but are giving up .521 in the same. In the 11-15 second range (Jeffyball), Jazz post a .461% while allowing just .432. After that, the Jazz get crushed in "the scramble range" of 16-20 seconds by allowing .510%. Breakdown and dish, or even better, what Pop0vich excels at is teaching offenses to take what the defense gives you.

Going back to the Spurs series, TyCo pigeonholed the Jazz offense into Black Hole Ball while often putting the other 4 guys motionless on the perimeter. This is a great way to stop the assassination the Spurs put on the Jazz as all 4 players can get back easily while Jefferson is receiving so much extra attention. Then the hope was for Jefferson to somehow score at a better clip than the Spurs set offense. That's longshot strategy, but everyone here knows the Jazz weren't going to win anything against the Spurs. At least Corbin gave them a plan capable of winning a game or two and not getting completely blown out by halftime every game.

This year, Corbin is trying to run more and score easy baskets while limiting the opposition from doing the same. It's not working so well on the defensive side because the Jazz lack defenders, and they can't keep up on the offensive end when Favors is given extra scoring leash. It's often ugly, unentertaining ball to watch but is that really so much worse than getting run off the court game after game by trying to force an offense your players are not capable of running?

Favors developing into a more efficient offensive force would go a long way to helping this type of system win. Carroll shooting 38+% consistently from three would be huge as well. The rest of the team needs to get out of this shooting funk, especially Mr. Haywierd.

There you go. You've been told, now consume.

It entertained me. I especially like the first two sentences of the 4th paragraph. Well done.

One more thing. Dream Sloan told me he is the one who gave the TyCo stamp of approval by hiring him and approving his name for head coaching positions around the league. He wanted me to tell you all that you're all bleeping dense if you think you know more about Ty Corbin than a Hall of Fame coach.

This reminds me of how a literary theorist would analyze a children's book, say John Lithgow's book about a squirrel named Micawber. The literary theorist, using continental philosophical insight from theorists such as Derrida, Foucault, and Julia Kristeva reveal the genius and complexity of John Lithgow. The sophistication and apparent dynamic quality of the analysis cannot be argued against, and thus the author's skill is bolstered by the actual prowess of the person doing the analysis.

Here's a description of the book:
A squirrel named Micawber loves the paintings he sees through the windows of the nearby art museum. One day he notices an artist copying the old masters, and he decides to do the same -- with surprising results.

Adjusted for our story:
A coach named MiCorbin loves the game plans he sees through the windows of the nearby ESA arena. One day he notices an intern copying the old master's (Sloan's) game plans, and he decides to do the same -- with surprisingly mediocre results.

More offensive sets integrated last night. The team executed well for Corbin and are getting better every game (finally...). Corbin keeps improvements up at this clip and COTY talks get serious.

You shouldn't go into any fight if you're not ready and willing to break out your best punches and combos.

If you really think Ty's strategy was to sacrifice all offensive nuance/misdirection so that we could try to slug it out with Jefferson, then we are more ****ed than ever since that is no strategy at all.

Ty deserved a shot. He's had some major bumps in the road (Deron, lockout), but things are improving at an unsatisfyingly slow pace.... partly because he is very conservative.

^ you'll note that I did say some things have improved. Things continue to improve.

But are the players who are gelling the same players who will he around next year? In other words, should I really care about these improvements?

This reminds me of how a literary theorist would analyze a children's book, say John Lithgow's book about a squirrel named Micawber. The literary theorist, using continental philosophical insight from theorists such as Derrida, Foucault, and Julia Kristeva reveal the genius and complexity of John Lithgow. The sophistication and apparent dynamic quality of the analysis cannot be argued against, and thus the author's skill is bolstered by the actual prowess of the person doing the analysis.

Here's a description of the book:

Adjusted for our story:

Holy ****, it is 2814.
Two things:
1. You were either an amazing troll, or
2. This avatar is light years better.

You shouldn't go into any fight if you're not ready and willing to break out your best punches and combos.

If you really think Ty's strategy was to sacrifice all offensive nuance/misdirection so that we could try to slug it out with Jefferson, then we are more ****ed than ever since that is no strategy at all.

How is running an offense that fails to execute and leads to easy transition baskets for the Spurs a better strategy? Also, Jefferson had 19 looks in the only close game & Millsap 17. I'd much rather have that than Josh Howard driving into the lane, passing the ball to Tony Parker, and cheering him on as he runs down for another uncontested layup. And everything was better than CJ not clanking another wide open shot into a long rebound transition bucket.

But are the players who are gelling the same players who will he around next year? In other words, should I really care about these improvements?

My tank is still out. I want Jefferson traded for draft picks. Marvin and Foye can go as well. I hope Jefferson performs at his best for the next month & increases his value.

However, I am still a Jazz fan and as such I can appreciate their progress even if it is setting me up for disappointment. It's nice to see Corbin able to implement a system with recognizable plays. During the last few games I've seen the Jazz running what actually looks like NBA caliber sets for the first time since floor general Deron Williams was traded for that p.o.s. Devin Harris. I don't really care what Corbin failed to do last season with that group of over the hill + CJ garbage. He has players this year and is starting to look like a pretty good coach after only 16 games.

How about trying to dream trade all three for Gasol and the cheerleader guy, then Gasol to whatever sucker will give us a point guard or top draft picks. Maybe Houston will give us all 19 of their rookies for him, including Royce White so we can rag on his Kirk Snyder acting *** for a couple months.

https://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d4zyjhl

I don't even know who any of these Houston players other than White are and don't really care either. It works get it done Lindsey!

Oops, I included Raja instead of Foye. They can have him too.