What's new

Vertical Jump Programs...

ema

Contributor
Anyone here have tried any vertical jump program?

The reason I'm asking this is, well... As I said before(in P90X thread), I'm a small guy (5'6") but somehow I happened to make a betting with my friends. I just said that if I wanted it badly, I could dunk. Yes I'm aware how absurd it is, but I did it anyway. We got a deal based on me dunking in six month to one year.

Anyway I did some very scientific researches(obviously on the internet) and find out that at least it's not impossible. I mean, me dunking.

Then I went for digging up my current athletic situation. Here is the report I ended up with.

1) Height : 5'6" barefoot, 5'7" with shoes.

2) Weight : 145 lbs with 17% body fat.

3) Wingspan : 5'7"

4) Standing Reach : 7'2" barefoot, 7'3" with shoes.

5) Hands : Literally small, I can hold the size 7 Bball barely for 3 seconds with one hand.

6) Sport Experience : None. Some mornings, when I coudn't wake up, I run about 2 miles to catch up the class. I tried P90X plyometrics and 30 mins through it, I vomited all over the stairs to the WC. I can do 20-25 push ups and 2-3 pull ups. My younger brother can beat me up easily but I can beat my gf at arm wrestling.

7) Flexibility : I have rather a flexible body, probably one of the few advantages of being short.

8) Other : A tooth with decay, thinning hair.

A few days ago, I went to the college court and tried to dunk. At my first attempt, I couldn't dunk. At my second attempt, I thought I dunked and it was like a 360, but they(my friends) said that I just did hit my head badly to the trunk of the rim after I fell on the ground. I don't remember the rest of that day.

Yesterday, I went to the court again, this time with a measuring tape to measure my vertical jumps. I implemented the routine wall-type vertical jumping tests for about half an hour, here is my report on it.

1) Best standing VJ : 22 inches, the reach is 9'1".
2) Best VJ with a single step : Same as 1.
3) Max running VJ with one foot : 24 inches, the reach is 9'3".
4) Max running VJ with two feet : 23 inches, the reach is 9'2".

Now, based on my researches, they say one could dunk if he/she can reach to 10'6". This means I need 33 inches to touch the rim and 39 inches to dunk. I believe if I ever can touch the rim once, I can dunk, because then I will become a believer. Rigth now I don't believe myself, at all. And this means, all I need is 9 more frigging inches to touch the rim.

One positive thing that makes me happy like a girl is that the guys on the court regularly, are saying that I'm a natural jumper and I have the potential to improve it.

Now, back to the original topic and my question... I need a program to improve my VJ at least 9 inches. Do you think it's possible? Have you ever tried such a program? Could you give any advices to improve my VJ? Any advices, references and experiences will be welcomed. Help me guys.

One final thing : I'm 92 born.

why do people give their height with shoes?

If anybody cares, I'm 200lbs naked, 220lbs fully clothed, including my sweet jewelry.

Lose about 10% body fat, squats, deadlifts, and lunges will help immensely. There is a website called verticaljumping.com that has a ton of workouts and exercises to do. Get on it before you get to old and to fat to run or jump.

Reactions: ema
Lose about 10% body fat, squats, deadlifts, and lunges will help immensely. There is a website called verticaljumping.com that has a ton of workouts and exercises to do. Get on it before you get to old and to fat to run or jump.

Thanks man.

Basically what KennyKyle said. If you can do it, I will be amazed as that is a lot of inches to cover.

I tried about two years ago and got a couple of inches away before running into serious shin splints and a sprained ankle. I have about an 8'1 standing reach and can easily palm the ball though, so I really didn't have far to go, just pretty unathletic vertically.

I've been meaning to pony up and give it a good try again, but just been too lazy. I can grab the rim with my fingers, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Basically what KennyKyle said. If you can do it, I will be amazed as that is a lot of inches to cover.

I tried about two years ago and got a couple of inches away before running into serious shin splints and a sprained ankle. I have about an 8'1 standing reach and can easily palm the ball though, so I really didn't have far to go, just pretty unathletic vertically.

I've been meaning to pony up and give it a good try again, but just been too lazy. I can grab the rim with my fingers, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Do you think I can do, is it possible? And injuries are inevitible? Everyone I know who plays some kind of sport are dealing with either knee/leg problems or back problems.

If I can do it, I'll enter to the NBA draft. How many pale 5'6" guys are there who can dunk, I'd draft me. At worst, I put videos of me dunking on youtube and gain some pocket money.

Do you think I can do, is it possible? And injuries are inevitible? Everyone I know who plays some kind of sport are dealing with either knee/leg problems or back problems.

If I can do it, I'll enter to the NBA draft. How many pale 5'6" guys are there who can dunk, I'd draft me. At worst, I put videos of me dunking on youtube and gain some pocket money.

It certaintly isn't impossible, but it will be hard. My advice will to be to first try to touch the rim, once you touch the rim make your next goal to start dunking tennis balls. Keep upping the size of the ball until you get to a full sized basketball.

I got hurt because I wasn't wearing proper shoes and I really didn't give myself much rest as I should have.

@kennykyle, @Cyrone Torbin

Sorry guys it says "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

I'll try it later, thanks for the answers.

I did Sky's the Limit when I was 15:

https://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/vertical_improvement/#section1

I only remember one thing.....being really ****ing sore throughout the whole program. I don't know how well your body will adjust to something like that seeing how you said you're not really that active. I could already dunk before I did that program though and I pretty much shot up from about 5'5" to 6'2" during the last few months of school and that summer so I have no idea how much it actually helped me because I was gaining so much body height during it. It was hard though, both my friends that were doing it with me crapped out by about week 4, so it probably helped some.

Last edited:
Use one of these:

mini_trampoline.jpg

Thanks Duck Rodgers, I'm looking through it.

This month I'll be investigating and studying all the materials and documents I'm coming across on the internet while I'm heating up my body for a six month complete and thorough program.

I'm taking this seriously, it's a big bet and I had already decided to make changes in my (nonexistent)sport life. Right now I'm reading the "Vertical Bible" for the second time.

Also I'm telling about the bet to everyone I know, even though getting the pretty much same response; a hard laugh or a nod. For instance, this morning, I've borrowed some athleticism-related books from the library, one of them was a basketball book, the librarian(knows me) asked me what the hell I'm gonna do with this books, I said I will learn how to play basketball and I will even dunk in a year. Well, he responded with a nod first, then started to laugh hysterically, he said, "You're the only one I know who will try learning basketball from a book", he's probably still laughing. I understand him though, laughing at me so hard, because it was actually an inside joke. (A few years ago I had borrowed a dozen of books about sex, female body, biology etc...)

Anyway, if anyone wants to make a bet here, I'm willing for it. I guarantee that I will at least be able to touch the rim in six to twelve months. I'm a believer now and when I believe, my grim determination is my best quality, or maybe the only one...

This is for all of us guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4

Start doing squats and lunges as soon as possible. Since you aren't active, you will probably be pretty sore after your first time. Also, remember to stretch really well each day, being flexible will add inches to your vertical and will prevent you from getting injured while training.

Also you have inspired me to try this again. I think I'm going to do 2 days of lower body lifting, then 2 days of jumping with a lot of bike riding in between for cardio. Also going to stop being a fatass and eat half as much each meal as I do normally.

Remeasured myself.

6'1.5 without shoes
6'5.5 wingspan
6'3 in shoes
8'2 standing reach
195 lbs (Want to get down to at least 185, 180 if possible)

So I should need about a 28'' vertical to dunk. Wow, when I do the math, it's really sad I can't dunk. I would assume I'm probably at 24'' max vertical now, so I think if I stay consistent with working out, I should be able to dunk in 3 months.

Also I'm telling about the bet to everyone I know, even though getting the pretty much same response; a hard laugh or a nod. For instance, this morning, I've borrowed some athleticism-related books from the library, one of them was a basketball book, the librarian(knows me) asked me what the hell I'm gonna do with this books, I said I will learn how to play basketball and I will even dunk in a year. Well, he responded with a nod first, then started to laugh hysterically, he said, "You're the only one I know who will try learning basketball from a book", he's probably still laughing. I understand him though, laughing at me so hard, because it was actually an inside joke. (A few years ago I had borrowed a dozen of books about sex, female body, biology etc...)

Haha. You and me both, my friend. You have to tell your librarian to get with the times and get those electronic self checkout stands. Easily the best thing my library has ever gotten. There is a lot of freedom in being able to checkout whatever and how many ever you want without some goober looking on. It used to be so awkward trying to check out anything, even stuff that shouldn't feel too weird like if you were just curious to read the Communist Manifesto or Mein Kampf or something that you weren't really interested in other than just to say you've read at, and everybody is looking at you're a KKK member in training. And even worse, they always happened to be decent looking early 20's girls checking it out for you.

Keep us up to date with with how your jumping skills are progressing.