What's new

Warnings & Infractions

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
So I received a warning today. I tried messaging the moderator who gave it to me back and his/ her message box is full. Please advise.

I have a question about posting links. If ya wanna share a video with some Jazz footage in it, like, say, one called "Deron Williams, best point guard in the NBA," but it's accompanied by some rap tune which, if ya listen to it, might contain some "objectionable" language, can ya post it with a caveat, such as: WARNING, turn down the volume on your video player before viewing this video if you are easily offended?"

I have a question about posting links. If ya wanna share a video with some Jazz footage in it, like, say, one called "Deron Williams, best point guard in the NBA," but it's accompanied by some rap tune which, if ya listen to it, might contain some "objectionable" language, can ya post it with a caveat, such as: WARNING, turn down the volume on your video player before viewing this video if you are easily offended?"

No.

Longstanding board precedent.

No.

Longstanding board precedent.

Thanks for the response, Kicky? Any chance of re-evaluatin that long-standin precedent? I really can't see what the problem would be, offhand. Kinda seems like you're throwin out the baby with the bathwater, ya know?

I mean, like, aint these rap tunes played all day, every day, on public radio stations throughout the country? I reallly don't know, because I don't listen to radio, but that's the impression I get. It seems awfully paternalistic to prohibit links to sites which incidentally contain material that is routinely seen or heard every day, know what I'm sayin?

Kinda seems like you're throwin out the baby with the bathwater, ya know?

A few issues:

a) I know I, and I suspect other moderators, don't want to start going down the path of "you're allowed to change the board rules as long as you announce in advance you're going to do so."
b) Even when people have tried this in the past, particularly with videos, we start getting reports from people who just clicked the video. That's especially been the case with sexual content, which ruffles feathers pretty quickly, especially Jason's.
c) While I understand you really want a board where there are no content rules and restrictions, this is not that board. Such boards do exist. You could join one of them. Alternatively you could start your own board. I will say this, if you're planning on trying to lobby for rules changes, starting threads the same day in which you not so subtlely compare the moderators to the Los Angeles police department is probably not the best opening salvo.

...starting threads the same day in which you not so subtlely compare the moderators to the Los Angeles police department is probably not the best opening salvo.

Ya got sumthin against the LAPD, Kicky?

Even when people have tried this in the past, particularly with videos, we start getting reports from people who just clicked the video.

Well, that's what I meant by "paternalistic:" Trying to pre-emptively "save" inattentive, super-sensitive people from their own oversight and folly. I suspect that some of these people DID see the caveat, but liked pretending that they didn't and were hence VICTIMIZED.

I'm not "lobbying" for rule changes--I really don't care. I do think an overly-zealous approach to curtailing post content can serve to limit the accomplishment of what I presume to be the main purpose of the board, that's all.

Last edited:
I mean, like, aint these rap tunes played all day, every day, on public radio stations throughout the country? I reallly don't know, because I don't listen to radio, but that's the impression I get.

As far as I know, profanity in songs is still not allowed by the FCC on over-the-air radio.

As far as I know, profanity in songs is still not allowed by the FCC on over-the-air radio.

Well, it looks like you're right, Colton, at least as far as daytime hours go. I decided to look into it a bit, because I really didn't know. Wiki says this:

"the Supreme Court established the safe-harbor provision that grants broadcasters the right to broadcast indecent (but not obscene) material between the hours of 10 PM and 6 AM, when it is presumed many children will be asleep.[3][4] The FCC has never maintained a specific list of words prohibited from the airwaves during the time period from 6 AM to 10 PM, but it has alleged that its own internal guidelines are sufficient to determine what it considers obscene."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

I guess I got my impression from seeing music videos on cable TV, which is unregulated.

It's always outside of 10PM - 6AM somewhere.... ya know?

Well, yeah, Jason, and not only that, but also, too, if ya post sumthin on a website, it stays up 24/7, even if ya posted it at 3 A.M. in the mornin (as opposed to 3 A.M. in the afternoon). Course, it aint like anyone who wants to surf the web gotta go through Jazzfanz to do it, but....

I do think an overly-zealous approach to curtailing post content can serve to limit the accomplishment of what I presume to be the main purpose of the board, that's all.

This. When its to the point that you cannot even post profanity-free inuendo without getting a "warning", then it is beyond ridiculous. Some people are taking themselves WAY too seriously and need to lighten the hell up. I wasn't aware that Gayle Ruzicka was the chairman of the board for post content here.

Makes me glad I don't live under that bubble in Utah anymore.

Some people need to lighten the hell up about getting a slap on the wrist, a.k.a. "a warning". It's not the end of the damn world.