What's new

Was Kanter a Cancer?

homeytennis

He's gone and the Jazz are killing good teams without him. I go back to this piece about the Jazz scrimmage in the fall and this from the DN: Rookie Brock Motum, the Australian who played at Washington State, scored seven points and looked as good as anybody on the court during the 24-minute scrimmage. His scoring came from outside and off of a nice-looking floating scoop shot.

Jazz center Derrick Favors was impressed.

“Brock, he’s a better player than I thought he was,” Favors said of the 6-10 power forward who’s hoping to secure a roster spot this month. “I seen him during the summer league (and thought), ‘OK, he’s a good player.’ During training camp and especially tonight, he showed another level, I thought.”
In other words the Jazz had a lot of capital invested in Kanter, the front office told Snyder to get rid of front court players that might take PT from the tyro and then when it became evident that he could not do the job, suddenly positive results occur. Bring back Pleis, Tomic and Brock. It will be interesting to see how Cooley does on his 10 day K.

this system of basketball made Enes kanter cancer for Utah Jazz.
Not for the other teams doe.
knicks go knicks

He's gone and the Jazz are killing good teams without him. I go back to this piece about the Jazz scrimmage in the fall and this from the DN: Rookie Brock Motum, the Australian who played at Washington State, scored seven points and looked as good as anybody on the court during the 24-minute scrimmage. His scoring came from outside and off of a nice-looking floating scoop shot.

Jazz center Derrick Favors was impressed.

“Brock, he’s a better player than I thought he was,” Favors said of the 6-10 power forward who’s hoping to secure a roster spot this month. “I seen him during the summer league (and thought), ‘OK, he’s a good player.’ During training camp and especially tonight, he showed another level, I thought.”
In other words the Jazz had a lot of capital invested in Kanter, the front office told Snyder to get rid of front court players that might take PT from the tyro and then when it became evident that he could not do the job, suddenly positive results occur. Bring back Pleis, Tomic and Brock. It will be interesting to see how Cooley does on his 10 day K.

That's some mighty fine speculation there.

Yes, he was. Glad he's gone. I've now gone full circle in thinking that DL is an idiot for not getting rid of him sooner. The Jazz might be a playoff team now.

He was a kid having fun with a team that wanted to win.

No more Sponge Bob Square Pants = winning. Pretty simple actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was with the Jazz. He might not be in another team which is OKC right now. There are so many dynamics to determine the kid's contribution.

People knock Kanter and deservedly so. He certainly is a flawed basketball player. But shouldn't Jazz management take some responsibility in this. Look at who they surrounded him with:

Al Jefferson - a big man who never did anything that didn't have a statistical measurement associated with it. Jazz should have jettisoned him out of Utah immediately after the lock-out season.
Michael Sanders - a "big man" coach who isn't big
Tyrone Corbin - no explanation needed.
Memo Okur - see Al Jefferson

Kanter wasn't born with a basketball in his crib, he was never a gym rat, never played one minute of college ball - he was the quintessential late blooming big man. His basketball instincts were completely un-refined when the Jazz drafted him and they did a lousy job developing them.

No he wasn't a cancer. He an the Jazz appear better off apart but that doesn't mean he was a cancer.

He didn't seem to be creating locker room tension, wasn't openinly ridiculing his coach.

Smh.

No he wasn't a cancer. He an the Jazz appear better off apart but that doesn't mean he was a cancer.

He didn't seem to be creating locker room tension, wasn't openinly ridiculing his coach.

Smh.

Dude, there have been a lot of reports that the locker room's atmosphere has been way better since Kanter wast traded.

lol you guys make me laugh. Who cares? I am a jazz fan they are winning and he is gone. He could have been a hermaphrodite transvestite for all I care. He is gone let's just move on.

Dude, there have been a lot of reports that the locker room's atmosphere has been way better since Kanter wast traded.

link?

I really haven't heard that about him until after he asked for the trade.

He was only a cancer when his teammates knew he had demanded a trade. And I think many of then saw trouble coming as Gobert started to knock on, and then busted down the door. The whole mentality of the team has changed. Gordon cam back with an edge, Favors is playing tough, Rudy is intense. And Booker. DAMN! I'd cross the street if I ever saw him coming. Oh yeah. and then there's Snyder with his evil stare. Enes just didn't have that mentality on the defensive end.

Kanter will average 20/10 wherever he goes if he's given 35 minutes. And just like Boozer or Big Al, stats watchers will point to that as evidence he's a great player. If he EVER becomes a decent defender he CAN be a great player. But that's a huge IF. Taking that risk would have required Utah to be "all in" at $15M/per and trade Rudy. There was no way to keep Gobert on the bench much longer. Just too big a risk for Utah to take. Much better to put their money on a guy who may already be at DPOY level, and who has shown the drive and intensity to keep getting better. Oh yeah, and he's still on a ridiculously cheap rookie contract for 2 more years.

Yes

It might go away with another team but I think his selfish play and childish attitude will come back. I wouldnt want to be the team that gives him a huge contract and expects him to grow into it...

How would you hear how much better the locker-room mood was when Kanter was gone before he was gone?

By people reporting that there were locker room problems and that they believe the source was Kanter.

I take it with a huge grain of salt that after a guy asks for a trade and gets it that it turns out he was a locker room cancer.

link?

I really haven't heard that about him until after he asked for the trade.

Serious?

There have been subtle hints for atleast 3 years. Jazz management, coaches and players did a good job of glossing it, but it has been there.

I find some comments in here ridiculous. Kanter is a good talent. And some good talents fail because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. But if you are a max level transcendent talent like his representatives claim he is, then you thrive no matter what. Kanter didn't thrive. If the Jazz think someone will pay an amount they dont feel comfortable matching then it's the right thing to cash in.