What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Hearsky

I feel like he's just being pretty easy to read for the defenders. He's pretty short, so a trailing big has a lot of time to time the block, and so far he's just not crafty enough to avoid being blocked. He needs to be more difficult to read to be able to get that layup off.
I think he thinks he is either going to get a basket or a foul. He goes to the hoop relentlessly expecting a foul. Getting his shot blocked on occasion is just one of the collateral consequences. It is not a particularly bad strategy. Not particularly sustainable at his size.

Eddie Zero

I think he thinks he is either going to get a basket or a foul. He goes to the hoop relentlessly expecting a foul. Getting his shot blocked on occasion is just one of the collateral consequences. It is not a particularly bad strategy. Not particularly sustainable at his size.
Right. He has been getting to the line a lot his entire short career for this reason alone. He could be getting a lot more calls if he had a solid p/r option and was handed the keys down the road

hgb

Contributor
Yeah, I think that's his strategy too, and I think it works in other leagues, but the NBA is extremely well prepared, and all the rim protectors in the league know their job when Collin attacks. That's where he has to develop and add some quirks to his game. They need to know that if they trail to get the block, he'll do something else. Donovan got blocked some too, but not at this level. Variation is key, I believe.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Yeah, I think that's his strategy too, and I think it works in other leagues, but the NBA is extremely well prepared, and all the rim protectors in the league know their job when Collin attacks. That's where he has to develop and add some quirks to his game. They need to know that if they trail to get the block, he'll do something else. Donovan got blocked some too, but not at this level. Variation is key, I believe.
Variation is good but also change of pace. He just uses blunt force too often. Also a few more kick outs will make guys guess more.

I don’t think he’s selfish… he tries really hard and I love his energy and excitement… I think he is coachable and will figure things out a bit more. I think he’s still effective in his current role so it’s not like a James Wiseman situation. He also tries really hard on defense and has had a few moments on that end. Some metrics had him as the worst defender in the league in Cleveland… I haven’t seen that side of him too much.

Tremendous Upside

Variation is good but also change of pace. He just uses blunt force too often. Also a few more kick outs will make guys guess more.

I don’t think he’s selfish… he tries really hard and I love his energy and excitement… I think he is coachable and will figure things out a bit more. I think he’s still effective in his current role so it’s not like a James Wiseman situation. He also tries really hard on defense and has had a few moments on that end. Some metrics had him as the worst defender in the league in Cleveland… I haven’t seen that side of him too much.
It's obvious that he tries hard, but there's a lot of wasted effort because he doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game. He goes 100mph when he doesn't have to, and then falls asleep on a simple backdoor cut 5 seconds later.

Sexton just seems to be slightly "out of synch" with everything going on around him. He's a weird player. You could say his relentless, irrationally confident rim attacks are just another side of this. Anyway, it makes him an ideal bench sparkplug, but I'm afraid all attempts to mold him into a starting PG are doomed from the start. I hope the coaches recognize this.

Tom349

28 minutes 1 assist.

There really isn't a role on this team for him. With Clarkson already on the team and THT/Beasley also being spark plugs off the bench, we don't need his scoring. He tries on defense but is too small and ineffective and the more he tries to play for the team the worst he plays.

FrenchJazzFa

2022 Award Winner
His speed is good, Ja style, but opposite to Ja, he is very predictible. He has to improve a lot of things in his game. But as i say many times, he is young, back from serious injury, we have to be patient. As least a complete season.