What's new

We should move on from George Hill

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 848

He had great moments through the season-- but his occasional brilliance against LAC was wiped away by his GSW no-shows.

I've pitched Jrue as the ideal alternative, but of course there's other options out there. I just don't see how getting Hill on a long-term contract makes any sense. Doesn't have the strength to guard 2s well despite his length, his D at the 1 is overrated. Great offence and intangibles, but too old and oft-injured to make them count.

Yeah, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere too. If he took a paycut fine. I doubt he will, and wouldn't if I were him either.

Still if they did sign him it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. He did well when he was playing.

I just dont think you let George Hill walk if you can re-sign him for anything south of 30,000,000. Just can't let an asset like him go. If the Jazz lose him and dont recoup of value, we are a worse team next year.

The reasoning is sound. But throwing Dante into the fire, the dude who looks great in stretches of minutes; not games, and straight up overwhelmed the rest of the time doesn't give me hope. We need to be better next year.

I know you're not advocating for Exum starting but Holiday probably isn't coming here and I'm not sure who would.

I just dont think you let George Hill walk if you can re-sign him for anything south of 30,000,000. Just can't let an asset like him go. If the Jazz lose him and dont recoup of value, we are a worse team next year.

Completely agree with Cy. Gotta try to keep him, but hope that the injuries push his value into a reasonable range. He fits the system perfectly and he can transition from starter to mentor as long as the Jazz don't go stupid with his contract.

"Hey guys George Hill had an injury so let's not re-sign him and sign a guy with a much worse history of injuries"

Dalamon logic.

Honestly Dalamon, this weird vendetta you have against Hill makes no sense when you pimp Holiday. You can't site his injuries as a reason to not sign Hill then say we need to get Jrue Holiday.

Bird rights exists for a reason. Keeping Hayward and Jingles will severely limit what the Jazz can do in free agency. The ability to go over the cap to keep a guy like Hill makes Utah a better fit than most teams.

I understood that Hill didn't care so much about the playoffs when he said that owning the home-court advantage in the playoffs isn't so important.

We spend 30 million on him then we might as well start the rebuild all over again right now. Because any chance of winning a championship with Hayward and Rudy is gone.

We spend 30 million on him then we might as well start the rebuild all over again right now. Because any chance of winning a championship with Hayward and Rudy is gone.

Why exactly? What big time free agent are the Jazz signing when we are paying Hayward 35 million and Gobert 25 million? I mean, Hayward/Hill/Gobert has to be the core if you want to compete. The Jazz have little choice unless we can pull off some kind of trade for Paul George and convince him to re-sign. We are already facing cap issues and we arent even in the expensive years of Hayward. We kind of have to go all in on the Hill/Hayward/Gobert trio and hope we can nail these drafts picks and make some Spursian magic happen with a rotating door of underpaid supporting cast.

If Hill walks, the Jazz don't have the cap space to add anyone else. Are you suggesting the Jazz have a better shot at a championship with less talent/tradeable assets?

I'd rather go Exum-Livingston-Frank Jackson-Neto

Hand the reins to Dante. Have Livingston off the bench or to start if need be. Neto has shown he too can play fairly major minutes if need be. Then draft Frank Jackson late for competition. This gives us many options both short and long-term.
If not Livingston, I'd look into Lawson. He finished well, would add the athleticism and different look we need (him at the 1 and Dante at the 2 could be sick in spurts), and I think he and Quin could connect given their histories.

Use the money saved on Hill elsewhere. Maybe Muscala or Patrick Patterson. It depends on what we get in the draft.

If Hill walks, the Jazz don't have the cap space to add anyone else. Are you suggesting the Jazz have a better shot at a championship with less talent/tradeable assets?

When Hayward opts out the team is at 78 mill. Well under the cap. Burks is gonna get moved most likely, that's another 10 mill. Favors is making 12 mill and could possibly be moved. Diaw's 7.5 mill is non guaranteed. It's not Hill or nothing. They have options.