What's new

What would the Jazz record be if Sloan was still HC?

How much better would they be?

• 10 games better

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 5 games better

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • undefeated

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • same

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

Beantown

Same team, same schedule, etc. etc.

-If you think the team would be worse off then respond in the thread with your reasons why.

Last edited:
10 games better we would be 24-3 and 5 games better we would be 19-8.

Between same and 5 games better

I would say that there are only 3 games that Jazz lost that might be W's. Sacramento, Phoenix, Memphis.

Now W's that might be loses had Sloan coached is harder. The Jazz offense sometimes goes stale, but is kept alive by the chucking of Mo, Marvin, Gordon and Foye. Foye and Mo arent shooting 7 threes each during a Sloan coached game so the jazz would score less, but Sloan's coaching might be enough to overcome the weak offense, thereby producing a more effiecent offense that does not rely on the 3pta. Without the 3pt shot I don't think the Jazz beat the spurs or LAL.

Sloan would have already slit his throat and been done with it! He's through fooling with these knot-head, uncoachable numbnuts!

Sloan would have worse record as he would not use our 3 point shooters as much as Corbin does. He would not know what to to do with this team as there is not enough pick and roll capable players, not enough slashers and passing from the post is atrocious. Plus Sloan would reverse defensive philosophy back to forcing defenders to the middle instead of baseline which would result in more fouls and pts in the paint against us.

I think we would be about 5 (about = 4-6) games better.

Some possible wins.
@ NOH
@ Philly
@ Boston
@ PHX
Clips
Memphis
@ SacTown
@HOU

I said 5 but I think that is a little more or a little less than reality in the hypothetical world.

Even Sloan would have benched Jeffersuck like crazy for not making opposing players "earn" their points. Instead Jefferson gets away with thinking that he is too important to defend the basket.

Sloan would have worse record as he would not use our 3 point shooters as much as Corbin does. He would not know what to to do with this team as there is not enough pick and roll capable players, not enough slashers and passing from the post is atrocious. Plus Sloan would reverse defensive philosophy back to forcing defenders to the middle instead of baseline which would result in more fouls and pts in the paint against us.

Sloan knew how to use true 3pt shooters when he had them (Hornacek). Wouldn't need the 3pt shot as much with a true vision on offense. Al would have been forced to play defense or ride the bench

He would also start Favors which would make forcing players to the middle effective. Let's face it our defense is not better now that we are forcing the other way. In fact we are giving up more easy baskets than I ever saw under a Sloan coached team.

Sloan knew how to use true 3pt shooters when he had them (Hornacek). Wouldn't need the 3pt shot as much with a true vision on offense. Al would have been forced to play defense or ride the bench

He had best 3 pts shooter in NBA Korver and still almost never run plays for him. Sloan was quoted numerous times that he does not like 3 pt shot as primary option and it should only happen as alternative when inside attack and layup is taken away by defense.

Same. Or slightly better. The only thing I can see Sloan doing better is motivating more with his iron fist type of ruling. I dont see him doing much different with the youngs guys. In fact I could see him playing them less. Sloan wouldnt have let the bench go as ling as Corbin does. Sloan was very routine with when he made substitutions.

I know that Sloan had a bad rap for not playing young guys... But...

#1 I can't see Sloan being "down" with our offense the way it currently is structured. Now.... No offense with Big Al on it is going to look like the Showtime Lakers, Running Suns, or the Jazz when they they had Dwill, Booz, and Money Memo (or the Stock/Malone Jazz) in their primes. But our offense this season (and through much of last) sucks. Sloan would have only improved it. It would be impossible for him not to.

#2 I don't see Sloan completely banishing Burks and never playing Kanter. In fact, Enes Kanter would probably be a "Sloan guy." Same with Carroll. Both are "junkyard dogs." In my book, more PT for Kanter and Carroll can only be a good thing. Burks, with his defense, would have seen PT.

#3 After our *** kicking by the Pacers last night, Ty said it's, "only 1 game." Big Al said, "it's not the end of the world." Jerry, in his post game interview after benching the starters, screaming at them at the half, and then picking up 2 techs to be ejected in the 3rd, would have said something like... "I feel sorry for the fans who paid good money to watch this. The starters showed up in tuxedos. That's why our starters only played 10 minutes each for the game and I benched them. And if Al, Paul, and Mo keep pulling this BS, I'll keep playing Kanter and Burks 30+ minutes."

Probably theeeee biggest difference Sloan would have made is probably theeeee #1 quality we lack...

TOUGHNESS.

It's difficult to quantify the difference Sloan would have made. It's certainly not difficult to qualify the difference he would have made.

All Jazz teams under Sloan played hard and weren't pansie asses.

We're pansie asses. Lets admit it. We prefer to chuck 3s than to actually fix it up inside, get to the FT line, or knock somebody on their butt on defense.

Because Boozer was often benched for not playing defense?

Sloan wouldn't do a heck of a lot better with this team...perhaps 3 games better. Jerry would still be playing the vets heavy mins. and not giving much time to Favors and Kanter. Sloan has a better grasp of the offense, but his defensive philosophy was terribly outdated. His strategy was based on funneling guys inside, where our "defensive shot-blocker" would shut them down (ummm, Jerry...Eaton retired quite some time ago) and leave the 3-pt shooters open since that's such a low-percentage shot.

I don't miss Sloan that much. He drove me crazy with his substitution patterns and allegiance to aging vets. What I wanted was an established coach. Instead we got Sloan Jr. Nearly identical philosophies, but worsened by inexperience.

Probably the same. Sloan would make the offense run smoother, but he would probably make the defense even worse.

Because Boozer was often benched for not playing defense?

Sloan wouldn't do a heck of a lot better with this team...perhaps 3 games better. Jerry would still be playing the vets heavy mins. and not giving much time to Favors and Kanter. Sloan has a better grasp of the offense, but his defensive philosophy was terribly outdated. His strategy was based on funneling guys inside, where our "defensive shot-blocker" would shut them down (ummm, Jerry...Eaton retired quite some time ago) and leave the 3-pt shooters open since that's such a low-percentage shot.

I don't miss Sloan that much. He drove me crazy with his substitution patterns and allegiance to aging vets. What I wanted was an established coach. Instead we got Sloan Jr. Nearly identical philosophies, but worsened by inexperience.

Agreed.

Probably the same. Sloan would make the offense run smoother, but he would probably make the defense even worse.
When was a Sloan coached team worse defensively than this one? This team gives up more easy layups than any Jazz team I can ever remember seeing.