What's new

What Would You Do if You Won $100,000,000?

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Just a fun thread where you can imagine winning $100mil and what you would do with it.

For me, obviously I'd quit working nights. There are some situations where I could imagine still working, but not working nights.

I'd stay in the SLC area. I might keep my current house, but I'd also get an apartment or condo or whatever downtown within walking distance (or electric scooter distance) of restaurants, bars, Jazz games and comedy club.

Then I'd want a large property somewhere in the valley where I could build a house and have an outbuilding dedicated to brewing. A nice fish pond and such would be nice. I'd want all that set far enough back that I wouldn't see or hear any traffic or anything else outside my property.

I might buy a decently high end car, nothing insane. I'm a fan of 4 door sedans. Don't need a truck, don't need an SUV.

I'd travel. I might look into some really long cruises that go from like Florida to England, to Spain, to Italy and all the way back.

I'd take my wife to a few of my favorite places I visited when I was in the Navy. Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai and Australia.

A year or so down the road I might consider opening a restaurant. Yeah, a restaurant, not a brewery. I have a pretty specific type of restaurant in mind that doesn't exist in Utah at the moment. The location would absolutely have to be downtown on Main St very close to a Trax stop. If that went well I'd consider adding a brewery to it.

How about the rest of you?

1st things 1st. I'd quit my job. Don't know if I'd want another one.

I'd buy a Park City home in a neighborhood. $3 mill tops. Good for entertaing but somewhat modest.

2nd home in Tuscon.

Toys.

Might start a food truck.

Donate to the arts, education,

And what type of restaurant? Don’t play all ****ing coy.
Well if I say what it is someone will beat me to it. I think it would work and be amazing but the location is critical. I'll PM you but you have to promise not to tell.

I think I wouldn't quit the job immediately. I would enjoy working and being able to be perfectly honest with some people. I guess I would test the limits of how long they would tolerate me than. I would definitely buy myself a top instrument (I am a violinist) and than just play for fun with people I like. Old mansion in England, yacht and oldtimer car would be definitely on the list. And I would pay some guys to visit Conley and make him an offer he couldn't refuse so that he opts out of his contract.

Okay, well assuming it’s 100M after taxes, I’d:

1) Hire the best ****ing lawyer/estate/ tax people I can.
2) Quit. No way I’m teaching another day. I’d prob have five different kids accuse me of fabricated bs, all because their parents told em to make stories up, with the hope of winning millions from me. No way I take a chance with that. **** my 60 days notice. Take my license.
3) Diversely invest about 60M. Even if I only earned 4% interest, I’d make 2.4M per year. And that would be my threshold. Spend no more than 2.4M a year.
4) Give 10M to closest family and maybe (maybe) friends. Sorry, there has to be a cutoff. If you don’t like it, don’t take it. Oh yeah, and you’ll never get another penny.
5) Sell my current house.
6) With the 30M leftover, build a sweet *** 3-5M place in or near SLC. Crazy energy efficient. 6-8 bedrooms. 4-5 baths. Chef’s kitchen. Land...at least 3/4 of an acre. Probably more like 1-2. Home theatre. Like that.
7) Buy a shore house here. I love the Jersey shore. The show by the same name taints what are many, many great shore towns without all the Italian flexing. I’d buy one on the beach or main road somewhere for around 1.5-3M. And get the best flood/hurricane insurance I can. I’m not totally stupid.
8) Buy a home in Italy. So many choices where. In some spots, they’re essentially literally giving away home and properties that need fixing and are in communities that are struggling. This would prob be 500K all-in. Let’s say 1M.
Side note: Those three mortgages would only run me about $90,000 per month or 1.1M per year leaving me 1.3M more to spend in property taxes, and such. And such being...
9) Hire the best companies possible to maintain said residences when I’m not there.
10) Find a job. This is very important to me. I do not want my kids thinking they’re entitled and just going to inherit. In fact, I would do everything in my power to hide them from the fact that we won the lottery. I’d prefer they live a relatively normal life. If our main house was in the aforementioned shore town, we could send them to private school whose cost is negligible. But I’d leave and work every day, to keep busy and stimulated yes, but more so to set an example. They will need to work too.
11) Parent. This should probably be higher on my list. I wouldn’t bounce all over the globe and put the kids on my parents or some nanny. It’s not right. Maybe once or twice a year for semi-shorter stints. And in the summer with them. But they need parents.
12) Travel. I have so many places I want to go. The RN40 as a sort of existential experience. Italy. Spain. France. Germany. England. Hell, virtually all of Europe frankly. New Zealand, Japan, and probably another 30-40 countries and 30-40 specific locales. But I wouldn’t leave my kids forever. It’s not right.
13) Hire some of the best people to come and teach me and my children how to cook. To teach my kid’s piano or guitar or whatever. To master carpentry. And other such rewarding, fulfilling activities.
14) Read more. And write. This has always been my dream. To live the last 15-20+ years of my life in peace, writing.
15) Approach the Millers about part ownership. Enough that it would get me a voice in meetings. I probably would not want to invest more than about 30M...which is probably only enough to net me 1-1.5% of the team.
16) Buy Jazz season tix.

Last edited:
Well if I say what it is someone will beat me to it. I think it would work and be amazing but the location is critical. I'll PM you but you have to promise not to tell.

I’m a man of my word and would never tell.

Move my butt to New Zealand, somewhere on the South Island (what up OL). Talk my mother into retiring and moving with us. Pay off my own, friends, and family debts (mainly student). Set a bunch aside for investing (say 80%). Travel with the wife/toddler for a bit (minus the whole Corona thing). Have the next kid sooner than currently planned. I appear to not be the only with some form of food dream, might look into some type of small restaurant. Find a nice 90's Corolla.

Move my butt to New Zealand, somewhere on the South Island (what up OL). Talk my mother into retiring and moving with us. Pay off my own, friends, and family debts (mainly student). Set a bunch aside for investing (say 80%). Travel with the wife/toddler for a bit (minus the whole Corona thing). Have the next kid sooner than currently planned. I appear to not be the only with some form of food dream, might look into some type of small restaurant. Find a nice 90's Corolla.
Are there any nice 90's Corollas?

80's Corollas was were it was at imo.

I was going to ask how much the Jazz cost but it looks like Wes beat me to it.

I’d pay off all debts, then but $10M somewhere that’s intended for retirement or to live off the interest in some kind of worst-case-scenario. I’d quit. I’d probably maintain some level of involvement with what I do, but in places that are more meaningful to me, maintained at very minimal commitments. Would probably start writing. We’d travel a lot. That’s probably about it. For now. I’m sure the lifestyle creep with $100M is a bitch, though.

Family

Buy my parents kidneys (legal to do in Iran)
hire them a full-time nurse/carer
build them a house suitable for their care needs
Establish trusts for the children of my friends and family.

Property

Invest 40 to 50 million in property, some owned outright, some mortgaged to maximise tax concessions. Should provide me with a monthly income of around 150k

For me

Buy a spacious 4 bedroom home in the inner city with a back yard 2-3 mil.
Buy a rural property 3-400 acres probs 4 mil

Work

I can't be bone idle, (I'll drink myself to death) So that in mind I'll need a hobby job, also a job that I can employ my friends in, all of my closest friends come from a hospitality background so with that in mind.

Buy a warehouse somewhere in the city, convert to a craft brewery, art/performance space, pub and community activism space. Look into the prospect of buying and doing the same, in Sydney, Brisbane and maybe Adelaide. Establish a touring company to bring acts out to play those venues.

Interests outside of that

Travel the world with Mrs Rubashov.

What are y'all gonna do with a $3 million house that you couldn't do with a $750k house? You get sick of it all eventually.

Anyways, buy more and bigger tractors and equipment. More ground. Continue to work myself to death. Life without work, or a purpose, is worthless. I'd get bored.

With 100 million...

Invest a good enough chunk so I can live off the interest.
Obviously I’m done working. Period. The time and energy I spend working will be put to use in other uses. The cliché ones. Philanthropy, humanitarian stuff.
Our parents get a chunk. Something like 5 million each pair.
Siblings get an amount. And yes, it’s based on how you’ve treated us. Some of them would be pissed with their amount. But at the least, enough to pay off mortgages. Give each niece/nephew a college education.
Buy a dream home here in the Salt Lake Valley somewhere. Buy another in a warm locale, probably Hawaii, but away from the tourist traps.
Find a way to fund education in 3rd world countries. Since I did my mission in Honduras, I’d focus there and spread to the rest of Central America.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I actually like my current house.

1. I’d finish landscaping it. I really want a gas fire pit, hot tub, and water feature. In real life only 2/3 of those are realistic to put in in the next year.

2. I’d get a place up in Park City or Kamas. I’m not big into nightlife but I love escaping the pollution of the valley and get to the crisp air of the mountains. I love kamas as it acts as a jumping pad to Mirror Lake. I’ve never made it to Christmas Meadows but it’s definitely on the list. I’d probably buy a warm weather place, I love San Diego.

3. Seeing so many of you talk about wyoming reminds me of how much I love the Jackson area. I’m good living in Wilson, Alpine, or Jackson. The grand tetons is the most naturally beautiful place I’ve ever seen.

4. I’d get a better camera and become a pro photographer. I love landscapes and wildlife. I’d also get a top of the line smoker and pay to learn how to make the most delicious beef brisket.

5. I’d travel with the wife. I don’t have much interest in Asia. I’d love to focus on Europe. We went to London last year and really loved it. Wish we could’ve spent a month there.

6. Put a good chunk of it to scholarships, education, and health care. Seeing thousands of Utahns without health care and/or homeless is sad.

7. Pay someone to beat up Michael Jordan since The Last Dance has reminded me why I hated the Bulls so much more than Kobe and the Lakers or Lebron and the Heat. Joking (mostly) of course. I don’t condone physical violence on the biggest D bag the world has ever seen.

I’d buy a dope house in Maui... not beach front... but up on the hills a bit. I wouldn’t work a traditional job... find something I’m useful in serving others and do that... you can only goof around and play golf so long before you get bored... you’d need something. I’d probably but rental properties as the safe cash flow investment but I’d probably start a private equity company to invest in small business owned and operated by hard working folks and help grow them.

I don’t know that I’d change my primary residence... but we’d spruce things up a bit... maybe I’d buy the house next to me to use for a man cave and have some extra storage and space.

I’d probably go to a lot of basketball games but ain’t gonna have season tickets. Every time I’ve ever wanted to go to a game court side tickets were available at face or less... so I’d go to 10-20 games and sit down on the court.

I’d prolly find a couple small businesses I could start and work alongside my kids... if they wanted.

I enjoy this exercise... makes you think about what is most important and that money wouldn’t make you all that much more happy. But it’d help you do some cool ****... fun to dream.

Are there any nice 90's Corollas?

80's Corollas was were it was at imo.
I had a 69 Toyota Corolla in high school. That thing was a tank. It was indestructible and used very little gas. One cylinder ceased up and I was able to cut the piston and it kept running on 3 cylinders.