What's new

What would you give up to draft Anthony Davis?

Chargers Jazz Angels

I know this should be in the draft thread but had an interesting discussion today and wanted to know what jazz nation thought about it.

I personally think that Davis is a franchise player. A player you build around to win championship. We have 4 very good bigs maybe a combo of 2 plus draft pick(s)? Out of the 4 young ones would you give up 2 of them? Would you sell the future and give away 3 or 4 first rounders? is favors untouchable?

Is the a hershal walker trade?

I'd give up Jefferson, and of course throw in CJ, Raja and Earl. But I really doubt that would be enough to sway whoever gets the draft rights to Davis. I really wouldn't want to give up Favors, Burks, Hayward or even Kanter, so I guess if I was GM, we'd more than likely not be getting Davis.

"May be" swap Kanter + 2nd rounder for Davis.

Still not convince Davis has the offensive skills to be worth the #1 pick..

No point in getting Davis. If we make the playoffs, id trade Al for a 6th-14th pick, though. maybe get a pick from the bucks or something

No offense to PKM and all of the other Davis fans, but I am not too hyped on Davis just yet. Yeah, he has athleticism through the roof, but so does Favors (not to mention how much skinnier Davis is). If I had the first pick, I'd trade down, IMO. Curious to see how Davis does in the NBA

I don't think anyone would give up a chance at Davis for anything short of Favors + GS pick + Utah pick (assuming we get both picks).

No offense to PKM and all of the other Davis fans, but I am not too hyped on Davis just yet. Yeah, he has athleticism through the roof, but so does Favors (not to mention how much skinnier Davis is). If I had the first pick, I'd trade down, IMO. Curious to see how Davis does in the NBA

No offense at all. Having said that, I'm not sure we could trade everything we've got and get him and I'm serious. I always state when I'm being homerish and when I'm not .. I'm not when I say Davis is a once-in-a-decade player. For those that disagree, I respect that .. we'll just have to wait a couple years and see.

What do you think he is going to average his rookie season considering he is most likely to go to the Hornets, Bobcats, or Wizards?

What do you think he is going to average his rookie season considering he is most likely to go to the Hornets, Bobcats, or Wizards?

I don't even have a guess, tbh. I just know that, even though he's won every award and accolade, he's only scratched the surface of his potential .. MUCH less than most guys at his age. He gets better EVERY game .. he's scary. He's got the ability to play the 4 and, over time, transition to a 3/4.

Once in a decade player?

You realize Dwight, and Yao Ming were drafted within a decade?

You think Davis is another level on top of them?

Davis can be a Bargnani or Gred Oden or Bogut when comparing other people drafted in the top of the draft as big men.

I would Give them one of Jazz young big men and one of jazz young wings for him, like Kanter + Hayward or Favors + Burks for Davis.

I will say Davis does appear to have the highest bust potential since Kwame Brown (if you don't consider yourself a prophet on Oden's knees).

Let's say the Jazz don't make the postseason and are picking in the 12-14 range...I would offer something like Millsap, Kanter, 2 first-round picks (Utah's if they get one this year and the GSW pick) and probably take back a bad contract...and I still don't think that would be enough to move up...and I love Millsap and am high on Kanter...I just think Anthony Davis is one of those players worth a kings randsom. Either way I highly doubt it will happen, whoever gets the #1 pick is going to take Davis and be happy as a clam regardless of what offers they get.

Has anyone in the history of the NBA traded down from the #1 spot?
It isn't like the NFL draft where teams trade up to get the #1 spot. In the NBA, while agreements are often made beforehand, picks are officially exchanged after players are selected. In 1993 the Magic selected Chris Webber #1 overall but immediately traded him to Golden State in exchange for Penny Hardaway (picked 3rd overall) and 3 future 1st-rounders.

Last edited:
I am with pkm Davis is a rare talent. I wonder if a Jefferson millsap plus a couple firsts would do it? I would guess that a team would want favors but maybe kanter.

I have to agree with PKM we wouldn't have enough to get him. Favors is a nice starting peace, but lets face it Davis is better already and two years younger. Paul and Al have no value to a rebuilding team. I don't think Kanter, Hayward, or Burks would add enough to tip the scales. The GS pick will not be that high, if we even get it. And our own pick cannot be traded being potentially owned by Minny.