What's new

Why are we still stuck with Tony Bradley?

SuperHooper

Banned
I really can't believe Tony Bradley is still on our roster - I know he's like the 11th or 12th guy, but I just just don't see NBA talent there, and his ceiling is so firggin' low. For a third string center, I want either a player giving a change of pace or lots of upside, and (on a title contender team), a player who can give Rudy 10 games of rest and/or injury time.

I was surprised so many people were applauding Tony Bradley's "body" and game throughout the summer league. From multiple Shaq 'tin a fool moments, his extremely poor lateral quickness, zero vertical, and complete inablity to cover any pick and roll or multiple actions in SUMMER league, I couldn't help BUT see him as a train wreck against NBA teams if Gobert or Davis don't play every game next year.

Why can't we just waive him? :(

He's a twenty year old kid who put up 20pts and 12rbs in the summer league and is on his rookie contract. Why would we cut him?

He's also worked on his body quite a bit and while he's obviously not the most athletic guy in the world, his movement has improved.

As of now he's got one NBA level skill, rebounding. It's worth developing him to see if he can continue to grow. It's not really costing us anything to find out.

I really can't believe Tony Bradley is still on our roster - I know he's like the 11th or 12th guy, but I just just don't see NBA talent there, and his ceiling is so firggin' low. For a third string center, I want either a player giving a change of pace or lots of upside, and (on a title contender team), a player who can give Rudy 10 games of rest and/or injury time.

I was surprised so many people were applauding Tony Bradley's "body" and game throughout the summer league. From multiple Shaq 'tin a fool moments, his extremely poor lateral quickness, zero vertical, and complete inablity to cover any pick and roll or multiple actions in SUMMER league, I couldn't help BUT see him as a train wreck against NBA teams if Gobert or Davis don't play every game next year.

Why can't we just waive him? :(
Because the kid has improved a ton since the jazz drafted him and the people making the decision to keep him are professional talent evaluators and not some random person on a fan board.

Personally I like the kid

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

He's a twenty year old kid who put up 20pts and 12rbs in the summer league and is on his rookie contract. Why would we cut him?

We would cut him because he's taking up a roster spot that's more critical for us than I think most people give credit for if we're actually pursuing a chip. Who's your most important player? Some might say Donovan or Conley. But I think it's overwhelmingly obvious that it's Rudy. Both Conley and Donovan's minutes can be far more easily patched. But given Rudy's versatile shudown defense, screen setting and rim rolling, he is by FAR the most important cog in this Jazz wheel. IF he even goes down even with a friggin' ankle sprain (and at 7'1" he's not proven to be all that durable), the Jazz are in trouble on both ends of the floor. I would rather play Jeff Green in backup center minutes over Tony Bradley.

He's also worked on his body quite a bit and while he's obviously not the most athletic guy in the world, his movement has improved.

Again with the Body stuff

As of now he's got one NBA level skill, rebounding. It's worth developing him to see if he can continue to grow. It's not really costing us anything to find out.

Again it's not the money he's not costing us - for real championship contenders, that shouldn't matter AT ALL. We should be willing to go over the tax to make the most competitive and complete team ready to win the whole thing. It's the roster spot that it's costing us.....

We would cut him because he's taking up a roster spot that's more critical for us than I think most people give credit for if we're actually pursuing a chip. Who's your most important player? Some might say Donovan or Conley. But I think it's overwhelmingly obvious that it's Rudy. Both Conley and Donovan's minutes can be far more easily patched. But given Rudy's versatile shudown defense, screen setting and rim rolling, he is by FAR the most important cog in this Jazz wheel. IF he even goes down even with a friggin' ankle sprain (and at 7'1" he's not proven to be all that durable), the Jazz are in trouble on both ends of the floor. I would rather play Jeff Green in backup center minutes over Tony Bradley.

Again with the Body stuff

Again it's not the money he's not costing us - for real championship contenders, that shouldn't matter AT ALL. We should be willing to go over the tax to make the most competitive and complete team ready to win the whole thing. It's the roster spot that it's costing us.....
Our backup center is Ed Davis.

Our backup center is Ed Davis.

Obviously he is. I was saying IF Rudy misses any time (and he SHOULD take off a couple games even just for rest), which means Ed David is probably starting, I'd want to see Jeff Green play backup center over Tony.

Obviously he is. I was saying IF Rudy misses any time (and he SHOULD take off a couple games even just for rest), which means Ed David is probably starting, I'd want to see Jeff Green play backup center over Tony.
OK? I actually wouldn't be surprised to see us play Jeff Green there in stretches against smaller teams.

The idea that our championship contending status is going to be threatened by our third string center is laughable. If Rudy goes down we're going to have a problem regardless of who you could realistically put in that slot.

It's going to be a great year if our biggest concern is who will be our third string center.

Well that and our inability to proficiently rebound the ball outside of Rudy and Ed. And as just mentioned they will likely never play together. Thankfully defending in the post vs. old school fours is mostly a thing of the past, or obviously that would be up here too.

OK? I actually wouldn't be surprised to see us play Jeff Green there in stretches against smaller teams.

The idea that our championship contending status is going to be threatened by our third string center is laughable. If Rudy goes down we're going to have a problem regardless of who you could realistically put in that slot.

Well it could very easily massively affect our playoff seeding and our path to a chip. The top 5 or 6 teams even are probably going to be decided by a 5 or 6 win gap. Rudy missing ten games and our ability to cover for his minutes in certain situations could be the difference between the second seed and the fifth in the west. The small things matter, most of all in championship contending years. This is a war of attrition and the one of the jobs of a general manager is to put in as many fail-safes and backups as possible.

I'm sorry (I wish it were not true) but Tony Bradley is not a playable backup to a backup.

Because the kid has improved a ton since the jazz drafted him and the people making the decision to keep him are professional talent evaluators and not some random person on a fan board.

Personally I like the kid

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

Shocker. The board dunce likes Bradley.

Well it could very easily massively affect our playoff seeding and our path to a chip. The top 5 or 6 teams even are probably going to be decided by a 5 or 6 win gap. Rudy missing ten games and our ability to cover for his minutes in certain situations could be the difference between the second seed and the fifth in the west. The small things matter, most of all in championship contending years. This is a war of attrition and the one of the jobs of a general manager is to put in as many fail-safes and backups as possible.

I'm sorry (I wish it were not true) but Tony Bradley is not a playable backup to a backup.

I completely disagree. The first job of a center is rebound the ball especially on the defensive glass. Bradley is okay at this. In summer league Bradley showed an improved ability to catch and finish lobs which is a key part of the Jazz offense.

Tony does need be more impactful on D.

What do you expect out of 3rd string center?

All I'm sayin' is all y'all Mormons better be prayin' for Rudy's knees and ankles every friggin' night cuz Coast to Coast Tony will be a disaster whenever he gets on the floor :(

I completely disagree. The first job of a center is rebound the ball especially on the defensive glass. Bradley is okay at this. In summer league Bradley showed an improved ability to catch and finish lobs which is a key part of the Jazz offense.

I think I had said it in a previous reply - to be able to cover for backup center minutes in spot minutes or even multiple games for injuries (doesn't pass), show good upside or athleticism (doesn't pass), or show an ability to change the pace/style at the C spot like a stretch 5 (certainly doesn't pass).

He's not even a poor man's Zach Randolph, whom I've heard Tony compared to.

Honestly more concerning than anything else is Tony's defense. It's very not good. He's been in Q's system for 2+ years and still can't stay effectively with simple pick and rolls, or recover in space on multiple actions to defend at the rim. His feet are simply too slow no matter how much work he put into "his body" lol

We should be looking to upgrade the roster in every way we can. I hate Bradley but I suppose I don’t have a problem playing him in garbage minutes as much as possible, foul trouble minutes (as little as possible) or on nights when we want to rest Davis or Gobert, say maybe once for each player over the first 30-35 games. Sorry, but if we can’t beat the Knicks or Hornets without one of those guys, we deserve to lose. After that time and maybe around 250 total minutes from Bradley, we should have a much better idea of what to expect from the guy if we need him.