1. Welcome to the newly remodeled JazzFanz.com. Take a look around and report any issues in the SITE INFORMATION thread.

Why doesnt Kanter shoot 3s?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by IUhoosiers, Dec 11, 2012.

1. IUhoosiers

IUhoosiers Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was watching some of this guys highlights on youtube, he seems to be a good outside shooter for a center. Every now and than when he sets picks if he decided to roll out maybe the defense would need to open up the center if he knocks down those shots. This would leave more motion in the paint- cutting etc, What do you guys think?

2. DutchJazzer

DutchJazzer Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    maybe cus he is not allowed by the coaches.
    or there are no set offenses where he gets to shoot the 3

3. JayCamjazzfan

JayCamjazzfan Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Give him time. Eventually he will

4. spycam1

spycam1 Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    I doubt the coaches want him to be doing that right now. Maybe he will in a few years, which would be totally sick, btw. Has there ever been a big that was a bully down low and could shoot 3's?

5. cctrackstar

cctrackstar Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    He can, and maybe eventually he will. The problem is that if he is to rebound the ball, he needs to be in or near the paint, so shooting threes puts him out of position. He isn't Memo, he doesn't play like Memo, and I'm glad.

Maybe in a pinch when the clock is running dry he'll get one in.

6. Tarkanian

Tarkanian Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Bill Laimbeer was a bully and had some range on his shot.
    (though did not try much 3's if I am not mistaken)
    (throughout his career, his 3 percentage is .326)

7. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    How bout he learns to shoot FT's first? The he can tackle mid-range. Then, maybe if he perfects those things, he can move onto the 3 pointer.

8. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones In pursuit of #9 Contributor

Jun 23, 2010
    Maybe because he's better under the basket grabbing rebounds and getting higher % shots for a guy his size??

Hoosiers .. sheesh..

9. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones In pursuit of #9 Contributor

Jun 23, 2010
    Still stuck on 3rd base, huh? Keep providing alcohol and lying you'll get there, promise.

10. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Maurice Lucas of the Trailblazers Championship team might qualify but though he did take a lot of jumpers, I looked him up and he rarely took a 3. But that was back in the day before teams took a lot of threes. And believe it or not, he's only listed at 215, but he had to be bigger than that. He was a broad-shouldered and barrel-chested guy who was 6-9 at least.

11. DeliveryBoy

DeliveryBoy Active Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Sabonis in his prime

12. Brown Notes

Brown Notes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2011
    NBA players do not have metamorphoses very often (thank you spell check). Kanter has so far shown that he can be a wrecking ball on O and D, rebound, has promise from midrange, and is extremely motivated to win.

Why would you want to pull this guy away from the paint? If he can hit great but his value will never be maximized by drawing out a defender.

13. addictionary

addictionary Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    dude was not allowed for even shooting mid range in the first half of his rook season. I don't expect that 3 pt come into his game before his 5th year or so. although he is easily a 3 pt shooter big man.

well at least from time to time would be good. ty should allow him that bit.

14. mhindy

mhindy Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    I still think that Kanter's biggest problem, by FAR at this point is overthinking the game and moving slowly as a result. Giving him more options is not necessarily a good thing at this point when he finally seems to be figuring out a couple of things he is legitimately very good at.

Maybe in time, but even then unless he's really a great three point shooter it's just as valuable to step out to the freethrow line or on the baseline.

addictionary likes this.
  15. CitizenofCapua

CitizenofCapua Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    He can shoot it, i have doubts about its consistency though.. But why waste a great off. rebounder on the 3pt lane and let him camp there. I think his max. range should be around 17 foot.

16. addictionary

addictionary Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    I absoultely agree. his lack of fast practical thinking and acting out of instincts/senses is his biggest problem. he would be a beast if he nailed that.

17. CitizenofCapua

CitizenofCapua Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Also, he is ripped like he never been before. And your body type, a ripped upper body especially, effects your shooting rhythm and reliability. And usually ripped guys don't shoot at high percentages from long range.