What's new

Why is Jeff Green looking playable as a 5 in Houston?

NAOS

It’s a loaded question.

(And iirc, Green’s stats as the 5 in Washington were generally positive).

Answer: Houston can stay in-front of their guys. They have an ACTUAL perimeter defense. You don’t funnel guys to Green, obviously.

I’m not saying we should have kept Green. But obviously his poor fit should reveal something about what our roster does and doesn’t do. I’d argue that perimeter defense belongs at the top of that list.

It’s his MO... play good for a few games but then disappear or be actively bad for 10-15. Remember pre-season Jeff Green... he looked like a rich mans lebron.

If Niang doesn’t start making his shots then letting Green go was actually a mistake.

It’s his MO... play good for a few games but then disappear or be actively bad for 10-15. Remember pre-season Jeff Green... he looked like a rich mans lebron.

If Niang doesn’t start making his shots then letting Green go was actually a mistake.
I’ve numbed my eyeballs and then sat down to watch some Houston games. There’s no denying he’s being asked/forced to do a lot less on the defensive side. Basically, he just has to say in front of the opposing 5 and rebound in his area—because everyone else is basically adequate at doing that job. (Rebounding outside of their areas is something most Houston players struggle at, which is their great weakness, Green included).

The answer to the question of why Jeff Green was totally unplayable here is not, simply, “because of Jeff Green.”

I think it has a lot to do with the attitude. He was cut by the Jazz and he realizes that if he doesn't bust his *** in Houston he may struggle to get another chance.

Freaking Harden is a better defender than most of our guards.

I'd love to hear his true thoughts on the Jazz, Rockets etc.

I’ve numbed my eyeballs and then sat down to watch some Houston games. There’s no denying he’s being asked/forced to do a lot less on the defensive side. Basically, he just has to say in front of the opposing 5 and rebound in his area—because everyone else is basically adequate at doing that job. (Rebounding outside of their areas is something most Houston players struggle at, which is their great weakness, Green included).
Their system is more simple. Switching systems are easier to execute... its why Mclemore and Green might look better. The offense is much more simple... Give ball to Harden and then spot up.

So part of it is fit... a lot of it is just Jeff Green though... been on 9 teams. He comes and goes.

It's because of the partnership between the Rockets and the Referees!

It probably helps that defenses are staring at Harden & Westbrook and Green is getting open.

Amazing how he's shooting 18% higher from the field for them and almost 42% from three. It's only a 13 game span but he's never shot even close to those numbers for a season.

It probably helps that defenses are staring at Harden & Westbrook and Green is getting open.

Amazing how he's shooting 18% higher from the field for them and almost 42% from three. It's only a 13 game span but he's never shot even close to those numbers for a season.
I agree that these numbers aren’t sustainable.

But I’d also note that our offense has proven to be well above league average in generating wide open looks from 3, so your Harden and Westbrook comment doesn’t hold much water for me.

I agree that these numbers aren’t sustainable.

But I’d also note that our offense has proven to be well above league average in generating wide open looks from 3, so your Harden and Westbrook comment doesn’t hold much water for me.

No? Here's his debut. Watch his defender who is more concerned with Westbrook than Green (0:37)

You'll see it happen more frequently in this video:

No? Here's his debut. Watch his defender who is more concerned with Westbrook than Green (0:37)

I agree, watched the Rockets against Milwaukee another day and when Westbrook or Harden drove the defense was leaving him completely wide open again and again.

I’m not saying it holds NO water. Just saying it doesn’t hold much. He had plenty of open looks with Utah. The main problem with him and Utah was defense—as previously stated.

I expect his shooting numbers to regress to much nearer to career averages—and yet I think he’ll remain playable in their system because of the capabilities and coherence of their perimeter defenders.

Perhaps could it be that Quin and DL have a toxic work environment? Things are not all peechy keen when you are down by 40 to a team at the half which the Jazz were.

Quin and DL deserve some flack... but this board would never admit that.
I think Quin over complicates things at times. I think DL has had his fair share of blunders. Not sure I’d count this as one. If Bojan was healthy and if Niang wasn’t shooting 5% from three this really wouldn’t even have been brought up.

I think Quin over complicates things at times. I think DL has had his fair share of blunders. Not sure I’d count this as one. If Bojan was healthy and if Niang wasn’t shooting 5% from three this really wouldn’t even have been brought up.
Nah, I woulda brought it up in that scenario, too. I don’t miss Green, but I think his lack of fit can tell us a little something.

Partly because Houston only plays switching and the system is easier for someone to just plug in offensively.