What's new

Williams finds Jebus, Jefferson pleased

Marty McFly

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/50546667-87/jefferson-williams-jazz-real.html.csp

Their relationship has officially been alive for only 30 days. But the indisputable heart and soul of the 2010-11 Jazz — All-Star point guard Deron Williams and newly acquired center Al Jefferson — are already past the point of referring to each other as simple teammates and have begun calling each other good friends.

The talented duo have shared a closed-door after-practice film session, while a recent introductory dinner saw the Jefferson-proclaimed “Batman and Robin” let down their guard and display their real, inner selves.

There have also been on-the-court growing pains. Williams has adjusted to Jefferson’s methodical low post-based game; Jefferson has adapted to the uncompromising offensive and defensive systems established by Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and his three trusted assistants.

But with a month of questions, setbacks and progress in the books, and Utah preparing to tip off a new NBA season Wednesday night in Denver, all signs point toward Williams and Jefferson being on schedule — on the court and off.

To Williams, Jefferson is a humble, levelheaded but hungry player who wants to win as often as possible and do it the right way. Of equal importance is the fact that Jefferson longs to be part of something that he has rarely known: a team.

“I can help him through anything,” Williams said. “I see a great relationship forming.”

To Jefferson, Williams is everything a true leader should be: serious as death when the ball is in play, but once the game is put away, a charismatic, engaging jokester who realizes that enabling team-building chemistry is as essential as understanding X’s and O’s.

A recent dinner between the duo in downtown Salt Lake City further increased Jefferson’s appreciation of Williams. During the outing, the Olympic guard revealed to Utah’s starting center that he had been baptized as a Christian earlier this year. For Jefferson — born and raised in small-town Mississippi, where religion passed down from his grandmother was not an option but an obligation — it was a minor miracle. The Jazz’s point man was not just a prime-time player; he was an everyday human being trying to walk a straighter line.

“He got saved,” Jefferson said. “I didn’t know that about him. That was real good to hear. ... He said he has really done changed his life around.”

Meanwhile, Williams’ desire to not just turn Jefferson into the next Carlos Boozer but allow the seventh-year big man to naturally evolve in the Jazz’s highly disciplined offense was made evident Sunday.

Following practice, Jefferson and Williams headed upstairs inside Utah’s practice facility for an impromptu film session. Jefferson had missed several of Williams’ cues during a recent preseason road game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

So Williams rolled tape of how he used to run the show with Boozer. Rather than only point out what Jefferson was doing wrong, though, Williams offered instructional words of support.

In turn, Jefferson was reminded of how far he has come since training camp began — and what the Jazz’s new top-tier tandem have the potential to accomplish.

Jefferson then turned the advice into action Monday, showing off newfound confidence and catching everything Williams threw his way during an intrasquad scrimmage.

“He helping me, man,” Jefferson said. “He being real patient with me. And he understand that this is new for me. But I’m learning real fast.”

Jefferson’s self-belief was affirmed by Sloan and assistant coach Ty Corbin, who praised his work ethic, dedication and coachability.

Al aint no Starbury or Skippy Alston, eh? I guess growin up as a small-town Mississippi boy kinda deprived him of the chance to learn the trash-talkin, ball-hoggin, showboatin, hip-hoppin ways of them in-yo-face city boys. I aint sure who on this team could learn him now, neither.

Might as well just go on ahead and post the rest of the article, too, eh?:

“He’s been tremendous,” Corbin said.

Still, Jefferson’s mid-career evolution is a work in progress, and there are surely obstacles left to overcome. But positive signs abound. He has been widely accepted by his teammates; after entering camp overweight, he has slimmed down to 273 pounds and added muscle definition; he tied or led the Jazz during the preseason in average points (14.5), rebounds (6.0), blocks (1.1) and minutes (26.1).

And as Jefferson and Williams grow closer, Utah becomes stronger.

“It’s going to start with us, because everybody’s going to look to us to be there every night on the court, because that’s what they need and what they expect. But also off the court,” Williams said. “I think we have a great group of guys. And he’s spearheading that, because he’s so easy to get along with and so even-keeled. You just know what you’re going to get out of him.”

Now, the Jazz are about to see what they can get out of Williams and Jefferson."

"He said he has really done changed his life around.”

This can only be good. Now he won't be gittin home drunk at 5:00 A.M. on game days, like Dee Brown habituated him into doin, near as much, I betcha. His wife won't be goin upside his sorry head with a fryin pan near so much neither. Sloan may miss his lil driinkin buddy, but them's the breaks, eh?

**** man. Great article. Glad to see Williams is a steady individual. I see great things coming from these two guys this season...great things.

I love it when somebody is described as having "found" Jesus, as if Jesus was hiding behind the couch or something.

All joking aside, this article should have all Jazz fans on cloud 9. For whatever KOC has done wrong while the GM of the Jazz, he's done 2 things in my opinion that will forever put him in the "untouchable" category:

#1- Made the draft-day deal to move up and assure that Utah would get D-Will.

#2- Pulled a rabbit out of his hat and got the Bulls (who had no reason to do so) send us back a trade exception for Booz, thus allowing us to land Jefferson.

Make no mistake, the competitive and personal relationship that is budding between D-Will and Jefferson will probably be biggest reason that keeps D-Will in Utah long term. KOC has made his fair share of mistakes, but when the stakes are at their highest, and this orginization is at one of those crossroads type of decisions, the dude is simply clutch.

The article gave me chills.

https://skyboski.blogspot.com/

Here is the back story and a photo of Deron as he was placed into the water to be baptised. I believe Korver had a hand in his decision. Also his best friend Matt Mitnick is there as well and his wife Amy.

The bottom of that blog:

"I am pleading with you Jazz fans, "We must back Boozer, he is our ticket to the championship." :rolleyes:

I'm sure Korver had a lot to do with DWill's baptism.