What's new

Yahoo: How do you know the New Orleans Hornets will win the Western Conference over the Lakers?

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
SOURCE

By Patrick Michael, Yahoo! Contributor Network

Dec 3, 4:20 pm EST

Future Western Conference champions: the New Orleans Hornets

As a diehard basketball fan and lifelong resident of New Orleans, my heart was broken when Pete Maravich and the Jazz left town. Then the Minnesota Timberwolves nearly moved to New Orleans, but the NBA did not approve the sale. But it was all for the best when the Charlotte Hornets relocated to New Orleans. After an uncommonly poor season, the Hornets drafted Chris Paul(notes). Now that he is healthy and Byron Scott has left town, the New Orleans Hornets are ready to win the Western Conference in 2010-11.

Here are five reasons I know the New Orleans Hornets will win the Western Conference over the Lakers this year.

5. Monty Williams? Who dat?

Ironically, New Orleans Hornets head coach Monty Williams' inexperience is a positive. The Hornets mainly got off to an 8-0 start because the NBA did not know how to prepare for New Orleans and their new head coach. A former assistant with the Western Conference's Portland Trail Blazers, Williams knows he has a lot to learn and will be willing to take advice and constructive criticism. Also, although I don't own a crystal ball, I can predict with certainty that the New Orleans Hornets will not have any flights delayed this year due to the head coach's golf schedule.

4. The New Orleans Hornets have balance

There are three fundamental positions in the game of basketball: center, forward and guard. And the New Orleans Hornets have a solid player at each position. And unlike three certain players who brought their talents to South Beach, the Hornets’ three amigos do not need to fight for the ball. Center Emeka Okafor(notes) is among the top four centers in the Western Conference in both rebounding and blocked shots. Forward David West(notes) is the Hornets’ top scorer and a two-time Western Conference All-Star. And I'll talk more about point guard extraordinaire Chris Paul later.

3. Bee-fense!

There is an old saying in the sports world. It is, "defense wins championships." If that is true, then the New Orleans Hornets will unseat the Lakers atop the Western Conference. That is because New Orleans currently holds its opponents to the fewest points per game in the Western Conference. From blocked shots to steals to shut-down man defense, the Hornets are stifling both Eastern and Western Conference foes alike. Defense will enable the New Orleans Hornets to advance through the Western Conference playoffs.

2. The New Orleans crowd will carry the Hornets through the postseason

There is no denying that New Orleans is home to the loudest sports fans in the world. I have been to many New Orleans home games where my ears were ringing for days. While Saints fans clearly have this reputation, Hornets fans have not gotten their due. Admittedly, Hornets attendance will never measure up to the Saints – and it lags behind other teams in the league at times, as people do not get into basketball until football is over. But I was there in the Western Conference playoffs against the Spurs. When fans do show up, the "Hive" is out of control. New Orleans will have a true home-court advantage in the Western Conference playoffs if the fans turn out en masse.

1. Chris Paul is the NBA's top point guard

Hornets point guard Chris Paul is the active leader in NBA history in assists per game. At 10.01 assists per game, Paul dwarfs Jason Kidd(notes), who is second with 9.2. This year, Paul is even better. He is averaging 10.5 assists per game, which leads the Western Conference. The point guard is comparable to the quarterback position in football. He not only passes the ball, but runs the offense. If he stays healthy, nothing will stop Chris Paul and the New Orleans Hornets as they fly to the top of the Western Conference.

I really don't know if this article is a satirical piece or not. It reads like it was written by a 15 year old.

I just read that dross a few hours ago and was confused upon conclusion. I too was wondering whether it was satire or fully serious, but in either case, it fails miserably. Just a terrible piece all around.

Dude was living in New Orleans when the Jazz were still there. Probably just old and drunk.

This "Yahoo Contributor Network" stuff is going to produce tons and tons and tons of garbage. Read at your own peril.