What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

In regards to Sheppard's low volume/usage.....Yeah, that was really bad for Kentucky and their chances of winning games. But in terms of seeing him as a prospect, is it really all that bad? Like, if the problem is that you are so good at shooting and that you need to take more....I can work with that. If the problem is, you're just not good enough at shooting to warrant X amount of shots...that's a more difficult issue. Telling a player to shoot more/be more aggressive isn't the worst problem to have if he has the ability to do so.

Also, how many times have we've seen this with Coach Cal guards/players. DJ Wagner averaged more minutes than Dillingham. If you think Cal's priority is reflective of their NBA ability, I've got some beachfront property in Idaho to sell you.

In regards to Sheppard's low volume/usage.....Yeah, that was really bad for Kentucky and their chances of winning games. But in terms of seeing him as a prospect, is it really all that bad? Like, if the problem is that you are so good at shooting and that you need to take more....I can work with that. If the problem is, you're just not good enough at shooting to warrant X amount of shots...that's a more difficult issue. Telling a player to shoot more/be more aggressive isn't the worst problem to have if he has the ability to do so.

Also, how many times have we've seen this with Coach Cal guards/players. DJ Wagner averaged more minutes than Dillingham. If you think Cal's priority is reflective of their NBA ability, I've got some beachfront property in Idaho to sell you.
It’s not the end of the world. In his case it’s a mix of aggressiveness and size I think. He can fix one of those. He also is not Steph… that’s okay.

I think I’d be happy with either Kentucky guard at this point. Cal seems to have a history of making these guys under drafted. Theres a solid floor and ceiling for both guys. Just bet on Cal guards having more than they showed lol.

Kinda what I expected tbh. Thing that jumps out a bit is Dilly. If he hits pull-ups he’s gonna be so tough to guard. Fast shifty and a good finisher.

If we didn’t have Key I’d have him higher on my board… so I should just move him up cuz I’ve decided I’m just treating us like a blank slate for now. Maybe Rob is the potential star? Really want to see measurements on all these guys.
We’re on the same page. I think Dilly might be #1 on my big board right now.

The evaluators are a little blind. Dilly and Reed are the two best players. Topic maybe but he will get destroyed the first two years before he levels up. Yes Reed should have shot it more but he did play with Dilly so that can be overlooked and focus on super hot shooting.

I've become more convinced on Sarr's offense, not bc of the shooting but because of the handle/passing. On the other hand, I'm still not sure what to think of his defense. People seem to be really tantalized by his ability to move on the perimeter and it's what they talk about most, but that's like 10% of being a good defensive C imo. Can he protect the rim and can he secure rebounds....those are the most important things for a defensive center and I'm still uncertain about his outlook there. His rebounding was poor, but maybe that gets better with age/size. His rim protection....I'll need to see more film and determine if I think he's a true anchor or more of a second big shot blocker.

Sheppard's volume is most comparable (in recent memory) to Nesmith's volume (in total, not per game).

Nesmith only played 14 games, but took 115 total 3's in his 2nd season and shot 52%.

Sheppard shot 144 total 3's in 33 games and shot 52%.

Both shot around 83% from the FT line.

Just a reminder of how flukey a single season w/ a small sample size can be. Nesmith ended up figuring it out this past year, but his first two seasons were disastrous.

Sheppard's volume is most comparable (in recent memory) to Nesmith's volume (in total, not per game).

Nesmith only played 14 games, but took 115 total 3's in his 2nd season and shot 52%.

Sheppard shot 144 total 3's in 33 games and shot 52%.

Both shot around 83% from the FT line.

Just a reminder of how flukey a single season w/ a small sample size can be. Nesmith ended up figuring it out this past year, but his first two seasons were disastrous.

Nobody thinks Shep is gonna be a 50+% shooter, but he's an elite shooting prospect regardless. If he shot 50 more 3's and missed all of them, he'd still be 39% from 3 and 80%+ from the line. There are no guarantees when it comes to shooting, but those would still be strong indicators. It's fine to spend all this effort talking about how 50% ain't real, everyone already knows that, but in all that effort don't forget that he's the one of the best, if not the best shooting prospect in the draft.

Nobody thinks Shep is gonna be a 50+% shooter, but he's an elite shooting prospect regardless. If he shot 50 more 3's and missed all of them, he'd still be 39% from 3 and 80%+ from the line. There are no guarantees when it comes to shooting, but those would still be strong indicators. It's fine to spend all this effort talking about how 50% ain't real, everyone already knows that, but in all that effort don't forget that he's the one of the best, if not the best shooting prospect in the draft.
Just trying to find statistical comps for low volume/high efficiency lottery prospects. Sorry if these hurt your feelings.

And Payton Sandfort is the best shooter in the draft, not Sheppard.

Just trying to find statistical comps for low volume/high efficiency lottery prospects. Sorry if these hurt your feelings.

And Payton Sandfort is the best shooter in the draft, not Sheppard.

I can tell you this hurt my feelings if it makes you feel better lol. I'm just saying it's wasted air because you aren't even arguing against anyone. Nobody believes that Shep is a 50% shooter. The only thing you're doing is showing that 50%+ is an outlier, which everyone already knew. This comparison you're doing doesn't add much because we've already established it's an outlier. What about guys that shot the same volume, but less efficient. Are those guys not relevant because Shep was better? If Shep was worse and therefore fell in the realm with more comparisons (which would likely be favorable to him) would that be better for him?

We’re on the same page. I think Dilly might be #1 on my big board right now.
I'm all for the Jazz drafting Dillingham and having the best man win between him and Keyonte. It's amazing Dillingham didn't start for Kentucky and instead of being mad about it he put up super numbers.

Was looking at the early entry list and I noticed Somto Cyril is testing the waters.

Would you rather take him or Chomche? Somto has legitimate freak measurements and athleticism compared to Ulrich's which I would consider more NBA average for a rim runner.

There's also a youtube short of him single leg squatting 415 with what is 100% fake weights

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2bf4sgWNNEo

Was looking at the early entry list and I noticed Somto Cyril is testing the waters.

Would you rather take him or Chomche? Somto has legitimate freak measurements and athleticism compared to Ulrich's which I would consider more NBA average for a rim runner.

There's also a youtube short of him single leg squatting 415 with what is 100% fake weights

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2bf4sgWNNEo

Funny, I saw this fake weights video today.

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@thenutritionnarc/video/7364105421650496814?lang=en

I can tell you this hurt my feelings if it makes you feel better lol. I'm just saying it's wasted air because you aren't even arguing against anyone. Nobody believes that Shep is a 50% shooter. The only thing you're doing is showing that 50%+ is an outlier, which everyone already knew. This comparison you're doing doesn't add much because we've already established it's an outlier. What about guys that shot the same volume, but less efficient. Are those guys not relevant because Shep was better? If Shep was worse and therefore fell in the realm with more comparisons (which would likely be favorable to him) would that be better for him?
I'm not arguing anything. Just adding context to low volume high efficiency shooting seasons. I just add value to the conversations, not trying to argue in any direction. Just adding as much context as possible so we can all make our own informed opinions.

Keyonte vs Jakobe side to side comparison. Very similar numbers.

I found them comparable as well. The 3 point volume + free throw rate are good signs, unfortunately neither got a lot of shots at the rime which was a negative for both. With Key, I saw some potential as a lead ballhandler and that played out in the NBA. I don't think Walter has the same playmaking potential, but people speak more more highly about his defense so I can see him more into the 3&D direction at the next level.