What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I don't think Brewer is that harsh for Holland, he played 800+ games in the NBA and started 300+. I hesitate to say "floor", but with Holland's athleticism + defensive motor he's a good bet to be able stick around the league even if the offense never materializes.

I seem be lower on Matas Buzelis than most people. What is so exciting about him? He does have height, but his stats are worse than players like Holland whom it seems like less people are sold on. I'm not saying Holland is best player in the draft, but what am I missing on Matas?

I don't think Brewer is that harsh for Holland, he played 800+ games in the NBA and started 300+. I hesitate to say "floor", but with Holland's athleticism + defensive motor he's a good bet to be able stick around the league even if the offense never materializes.
On the harsh part, I was referring more to that he wouldn't even have been a top 20 pick last year.

I seem be lower on Matas Buzelis than most people. What is so exciting about him? He does have height, but his stats are worse than players like Holland whom it seems like less people are sold on. I'm not saying Holland is best player in the draft, but what am I missing on Matas?
He's the GG Jackson of the draft. He looks smooth but it didn't work for whatever reason.

Whether you agree or not, I think there is reason to be optimistic about Matas given the tough transition from HS to Ignite. It's hard to account for that, so if someone wants to just toss aside the poor performance and focus on what we thought of him before I think it's somewhat reasonable. Ignite does not place these guys in a position to succeed. But to your point, I don't understand why people wouldn't do the same for Holland. Holland is younger, a better athlete, was #1 going into the year, and he was actually better than Matas this year at things that people consider his selling points.

I am leaning towards being more forgiving of these two, which is why I still have Holland very high, but I can't land on a good explanation as to why Matas would be higher.

Wing with solid size, good looking shot, all around IQ, and probably the best defensive wing in the lottery
If he was a bit(maybe a lot) more assertive and a bit(maybe a lot) more ...alpha(hate using that description but couldn't find better one in my head) I'd be excited about him. There are things to like about him.... on a highlight you can see the appeal. Someone mentioned Batum as a comp for Williams. I think Batum might actually be a solid comp for Risacher, too... if he figures out the shooting. With the slightest of hopes that he might have a bit more in the bag of potential with on-ball offense.

Was listening to a draft pod and they compared Josh Okogie and Ron Holland.

Made me go back and look at Okogie. I remembered being really high on him. Crazy how bad offensively he turned out.

Averaged 16 as a Freshman and 18 as a Sophomore. Shot 38% from 3 on solid volume. Shot 82% from the FT line on 6.8 attempts per game his Sophomore year. Good stocks. Insane FTR. Had a massive wingspan and standing reach for his height. Athletic (massive 42'' vert, measured at the top of the combine in the sprint).

Things really did not translate for him.

If he was a bit(maybe a lot) more assertive and a bit(maybe a lot) more ...alpha(hate using that description but couldn't find better one in my head) I'd be excited about him. There are things to like about him.... on a highlight you can see the appeal. Someone mentioned Batum as a comp for Williams. I think Batum might actually be a solid comp for Risacher, too... if he figures out the shooting. With the slightest of hopes that he might have a bit more in the bag of potential with on-ball offense.
I think the current version of Batum is a Risacher comp (the more 3&D w/ less playmaking and more connecting). When I comped Batum/Williams it was more of the Charlotte/Point Forward Batum

Elite Camp roster and schedules for the scrimmages.

Just realized Riley Minix didn't get invited. That makes me sad.

Buzelis is the one guy I don't want us to draft. I'm fine with the Jazz going BPA based on their analysis - there's a chance someone expected to go in the top-5 will fall to use at 8. I like Sarr (not going to be there but I can dream), Dillingham and Holland and believe the FO will like Holland for his flexibility and what he brings to the table (high ceiling, tough, good shooter and defender). I flip-flop on Castle though it would be nice to have a guard who can guard. Though Holland can probably guard a shooting guard so....

Ya that list didn't have many big names. Will still be fun to see who stands out though.
There were some intermountain players there a couple of guards played in the Mountain West conference, the Utah Center and Isaac Jones from Washington State that was all Pac 12.

Is risacher a better defensive prospect than dunn?
Dunn is about as elite of a defensive prospect as they come but the offense is so rough right now that he may not be able to see the floor. If he can become a half decent 3pt shooter and ft shooter then you are looking at a regular all nba team defender. He is a terrible shooter right now though and he needs to improve quite a bit to become playable for consistent minutes.