What's new

Annual Beginning-of-Off-Season Reminder: Don’t Believe a Word Ainge says

If a legit star is available and you dont have to give up Lauri/Sexton, you can make the deal. Lauri/Sexton + a top 10 guy is going to be a top 6 seed.
Lauri, Sexton, a 2nd-year leap from Keyonte and Hendricks, a center that is above average in the short roll, and an additional guard that is above average on defense and in the PnR gets us pretty close to sixth, imo. The bench should be ok with Clarkson and Sensabaugh.

In other words, if the plan is to suck again, then they’re gonna have to sell off more parts (Clarkson), continue to rest Lauri at every minor suggestion, and avoid plugging the obvious skill gaps.

Is this an ok place to explain that I’m still upset about trading the Italian Stallion?

For the record, the “big game hunting” quote was presented without context and is very misleading imo.

Not saying it make looks Ainge better, but he did not say “we are ready to go big game hunting” as in they are ready to do that this summer. I think that is how most people interpret that when they see the tweet.

What he actually said is that had we gotten the guy we almost got, we would have been ready to go big game hunting.
Ainge is a pure opprtunist and everything he has done has been consistent with that logic. I do think he blows smoke but the big game hunting thing was one of things that I think is legit and fits with his opportunistic approach.

This season was just painful. The Jazz record shouldn't have been as bad as it was. The last few games made me question Hardy as a coach as he was competing with thrift store pieces.

I found it somewhat interesting that Ainge stated in his postseason presser they're potentially looking to add a star who is in their "6th or 7th season". They are not looking to add "a dinosaur."

Well Zion will be entering his 6th season and actually looked pretty darn impressive against the Lakers in that play in game the other night until he got injured again, of course. He just seems cursed in New Orleans. Zion also meets the "thick" body quotient as those are the types Ainge was drafting last year. Lauri has already shown he can play with a variety of big man types the past few years in both Cleveland and Utah.

Why not go after Zion and then lock his fat butt in the gym with the "psycho" Collin Sexton?

Zion and Utah just seem to roll off the tongue.

I found it somewhat interesting that Ainge stated in his postseason presser they're potentially looking to add a star who is in their "6th or 7th season". They are not looking to add "a dinosaur."

Well Zion will be entering his 6th season and actually looked pretty darn impressive against the Lakers in that play in game the other night until he got injured again, of course. He just seems cursed in New Orleans. Zion also meets the "thick" body quotient as those are the types Ainge was drafting last year. Lauri has already shown he can play with a variety of big man types the past few years in both Cleveland and Utah.

Why not go after Zion and then lock his fat butt in the gym with the "psycho" Collin Sexton?

Zion and Utah just seem to roll off the tongue.
I would love to get Zion. It might be a disaster due to his health but if he could stay healthy then the entertainment value would be very high. Dude is a phenom and one of the most unique players in NBA history.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I was told who the "almost" guy was and almost everyone would have hated it, but it would have made the team a lot better for not much of a price.

I think you can probably infer who it is from that.
I think it was Dejounte Murray, and I really have trouble seeing how he would have moved the needle a ton. I guess maybe we decide not to go in the tank and make a bid for the play-in. Which I guess would feel a lot different. But going forward I'd have the same thoughts about the team as I do now.

Is this an ok place to explain that I’m still upset about trading the Italian Stallion?
I cant remember anyone being happy about it.

However we have the 8th and the 32nd pick so theres that. There is a chance we dont have either of those if we kept him.

Hopefully he gets a big bag in the offseason to justify giving away his RFA rights though.

I was told who the "almost" guy was and almost everyone would have hated it, but it would have made the team a lot better for not much of a price.

I think you can probably infer who it is from that.
Does he have a history with domestic violence?

Ainge is a pure opprtunist and everything he has done has been consistent with that logic. I do think he blows smoke but the big game hunting thing was one of things that I think is legit and fits with his opportunistic approach.
The big game hunting comment was taken out of context though. He said if we had found a player or two we would be ready to go big game hunting.

I do agree with the other stuff and he does the Almost Ainge thing to a comic degree. So he is a smoke blower for sure.

I cant remember anyone being happy about it.

However we have the 8th and the 32nd pick so theres that. There is a chance we dont have either of those if we kept him.

Hopefully he gets a big bag in the offseason to justify giving away his RFA rights though.

I wasn't happy, but pretty apathetic towards moving him.

Then the team he left completely crumbled and the team he joined suddenly got much more respectable. I'll admit that I was wrong. I love unheralded guys that just help you win.

We should have got the Gobert package for him.

Ainge built a roster that was designed to lose games. So when he says that he and other front-office personnel didn't think the team was good enough to make the Play-in, they knew damn well that this was the objective all along. He's being coy, acting as though this was some roster that needed to be evaluated, or pretending as if he didn't know the team was going to be bad defensively.

Ainge built a roster that was designed to lose games. So when he says that he and other front-office personnel didn't think the team was good enough to make the Play-in, they knew damn well that this was the objective.
That's definitely not what they did. You dont trade for John Collins if you 100% want to lose games. You just dont trade for him and play rookies.

That's definitely not what they did. You dont trade for John Collins if you 100% want to lose games. You just dont trade for him and play rookies.

Sure you do. You trade for John Collins' contract and hold it as an appreciable asset, while playing him at the 5 knowing full well he can't guard the rim. Win-win.

You think the Jazz being far-and-away the worst defensive team in the league just happened by coincidence? If the front office really wanted to win games, then wouldn't you have to conclude that they're just completely incompetent?

You can't act like a team that finished its season 5-25 wasn't actively trying to lose games.

Last edited: