What's new

Best decisions the jazz ever made?

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

We have a biggest mistakes made by the jazz thread so let’s now relive the best decisions ever made and I’ll just get this out of the way first, drafting John and Karl in back to back years with middling picks.

Alright have at it.

Drafting/not drafting is technically a good/bad decision. But I feel it's a lot of luck and not really a decision. If Jazz thought Stockton/Malone we're HOF players they wouldn't have taken the risk of letting them fall to them. Trading up to get Mitchell is a better example of a good decision. I would rather discuss good/bad decisions outside of drafting/not drafting.

Picking up boozer the way they did was a really good decision and led to a rule change.

Re-signing Favors to that much without a team option. Plus trading him away at the cost of a 1st was a terrible decision.

Bringing back the Delta center was a great decision.

Playing Stockton and Malone in the regular season too much when injured was a terrible decision. Probably cost us a championship. But at least fans get to brag about how durable they are and claim how much tougher they were then current players.

Being so opposed to the 3 from Sloan was a bad decision especially in the Dwill era.

Hiring Snyder and Hardy are both great decisions.

Trading away Dwill, Mitchell, and Gobert were all really good choices at the time. Mitchell was not playing hard anymore and was 100% leaving eventually so getting the most for him was great. Gobert is great player but his age and contract weren't favorable to us and we couldn't build around him well. Plus we got a haul for him. Dwill had his foot out the door and never really recovered from his injury.

Both the Stockton and Malone picks are some of the best decisions. Picking Gobert at 27 is pretty freaking awesome and trading up for Mitchell was great too...

Playing Stockton and Malone in the regular season too much when injured was a terrible decision. Probably cost us a championship.
I don’t recall either being injured in the playoffs. Even when injured you could never tell.
Drafting/not drafting is technically a good/bad decision. But I feel it's a lot of luck and not really a decision.
Still a decision because they could’ve chosen others but they chose Stockton and Malone and they were great decisions. Especially Stockton. Maybe they were rumors that some other teams like Stockton in the first round, but I could easily have seen Stockton going in the second round. So the jazz drafting Stockton where they did when they had an allstar quality pg means they saw something in him

Drafting Paul Millsap in the second round.

Signing Okur to as much as they did when he really couldn’t get off the bench in Detroit. That was a huge risk that paid off. Seems like he was a bit of an unknown

It’s not necessarily the “best,” but really the most unrecognized and one of the most hated to acknowledge:

All the spare parts we traded for Derek Fisher.

Sloan not retiring when John did set us back imo. Yes we made a WCF (we played a 8 seed Warriors to get there), but had we started the rebuilding process in 2004 as opposed to 2015 when we got Snyder who knows where we would be now as a franchise.

They were pretty much always nicked up and you could definitely tell. They were on half a leg multiple playoffs.
Yep. One year Malone played the entire playoffs with a splinted broken finger.