What's new

Dem beautiful balls race

The Jazz Wonderbra

We need a thread that keeps tabs on winners and losers and our position in the race to the bottom of the standings.

I know the lottery picks have been weighted, but there are more balls in the bottom 7 than the bottom 9.

As of today, the Spurs, Blazers, Grizz have a commanding lead in the West. The Rockettes are a team we could pass.

Back y'East we have more opportunities. The Pistons and Wizards have locked up the cellar. It would appear thst the Hornets and Raptors are too far below to catch, but they have both gone 5 - 5 in their last 10 games. That's a positive trend as we are 1 & 5 in our last 6 since the trade deadline.

The Nets and Hawks are also in play.

What's the furthest we could fall? I would say 6th would be about the cap.

As of today, the Spurs, Blazers, Grizz have a commanding lead in the West. The Rockettes are a team we could pass.

Back y'East we have more opportunities. The Pistons and Wizards have locked up the cellar. It would appear thst the Hornets and Raptors are too far below to catch, but they have both gone 5 - 5 in their last 10 games. That's a positive trend as we are 1 & 5 in our last 6 since the trade deadline.

The Nets and Hawks are also in play.

What's the furthest we could fall? I would say 6th would be about the cap.
I think the 9 spot is the best we can do… which is fine. Nets look horrible. Raps are frisky so maybe. Strategic soreness and players resting on out last few easy games would go a long ways.

Let's see...

Teams who we won't pass:

1. Pistons
2. Wizards
3. Spurs
4. Hornets
5. Nets
6. Blazers
7. Grizz

Raptors are playing mediocre and aren't tanking and I wouldn't be shocked if they surpass our record. I see us at 8 at best as teams 1-7 stink and haven't been winning. At worst I see us at 10.

I was optimistic that the Raptors could catch us but with Scottie Barnes breaking his hand I would expect them to go into player resting mode to try and keep their pick.

I do believe we can drop all the way to the Nets (8th losing record) based on how close we are in the record, and that they don't own their pick, as It's fully unprotected to Houston, so they just suck, but ain't losing on purpose. Hawks and Rockets are near enough for us to get, Hawks is fighting for a play-in spot and yet to fully turn into blow the team up mode, and the Rockets picks only would stay there If they land top4, and unlike the Nets, It going for a Thunder that's already a young juggernaut in their own conference, all while they already gonna get a top10 pick from the Nets, so I see more risk for them trying to force their pick back rather than trying to get their young players to try winning basketball (as bad as they are at it).

All others below are completely out of reach as i see. Even If we got Sexton, Keyonte, Dunn and Lauri out ot rotation to start THT, Lewis, Hendricks, Collins and Kessler, with Clarkson, Sensabaugh, Samanic and Yurtseven off the bench, the other teams will do the same to keep their places, all while at a 5 wins or more advantage.

This strategy of looking okayish for half a season then full on tanking is beyond dumb. Basically, it’s valuing these late draft picks we are getting from other teams over the ability of our own pick being top 5.

This strategy of looking okayish for half a season then full on tanking is beyond dumb. Basically, it’s valuing these late draft picks we are getting from other teams over the ability of our own pick being top 5.
I think it's important to keep fans and players engaged. They know that we're unlikely to contend for the title, but we get half a season of fun, and if things look better than expected, I'm sure they'd be more inclined to ride it out. If you get tanking from the get-go, the whole season sucks.

I’m sure that’s not what they are going for… but it’s what happens when you don’t put a firm plan/direction together. It won’t hurt us this year as long as we keep the puck. The draft at the top is not great. We could move into the top of the draft if we wanted to. Last year though… not great. We will see what direction they take this summer.

I think the 9 spot is the best we can do… which is fine. Nets look horrible. Raps are frisky so maybe. Strategic soreness and players resting on out last few easy games would go a long ways.
Brooklyn actually has one of the softer schedules left and they fired their coach, so they might get a 'fired coach" bump thing for rest of the season.

I actually enjoy it. Maybe I'm weird.

I also dont think the Jazz would be a bottom 5 team if they didnt do what they did.

I think it's important to keep fans and players engaged. They know that we're unlikely to contend for the title, but we get half a season of fun, and if things look better than expected, I'm sure they'd be more inclined to ride it out. If you get tanking from the get-go, the whole season sucks.
Yeah, you get to bring rookies along slowly and you get to actually give the team a shot. I think that's important.

I also like the experience of getting to see two different versions of the same team.

And we dont really know what benefit we get yet. The Lakers 2027 pick, the late first this year, the early 2nd.

I think the process has been great IMO.

The only bad move so far has been the Collins trade. The Clarkson extension is probably going to end up being bad too, but I can't really blame the Jazz for that one because the drop off this year was significant and I dont think anyone saw that coming (to that extent).

Reactions: Flc
I get drafting higher is % wise the smart thing and therefore you should always try to draft as high as possible, but it isnt the end all be all.

Keyonte might end up being a top 5 guy in the class and we got him 16th.

Jalen Williams might be the best player from last year's draft and he went 12th (OKC first team ever to draft the 1st and 2nd best player in a draft?).

Brooklyn actually has one of the softer schedules left and they fired their coach, so they might get a 'fired coach" bump thing for rest of the season.
Actually looked at it last night and you are right. They’ve been so bad at times and looked checked out even after the change. Obviously got Atlanta twice though.

I think we might be too frisky still. We are hanging in these games so probably win a couple more than we might think. Idk… just get to at least 9 and I’m happy.

It would be the most Jazz karma thing ever to win the lottery this year especially with the duds projected to be the top picks compared to last year where Wemby is guaranteed to be a star.

Next game the Washington Generals vs the Wiz. I think we want the Generals to win to get a better 2nd round pick.

I think the move now is to sit Lauri since the front office now has legitimate cover to sit him.