What's new

Eaton gives Rudy offer to mentor

vegas

It's hard to imagine Gobert getting even better at defense, but this would be awesome.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2369489-155/utah-jazz-shot-blocking-legend-mark-eaton
Aaron Falk Trib

A blocked shot, maybe even as much as a highlight-reel dunk, can energize and demoralize, depending on your vantage point. Eaton and Gobert see eye to eye on that, and their shared interest in the matter could lead to a closer relationship down the road, after Eaton extended an offer this week to mentor the Jazz's rising star.

"I told him I want to get together some time," said Eaton, who offered to show Gobert a lost-post move or two and, of course, go over the finer points of the swat.

"I feel like he leaves big shoes to fill," the young center said, adding that he plans to take Eaton up on his offer to work together at some point this summer. "… Of course I would love to work with him. He's someone who has a lot of experience and he will make me better."

Last edited:
This is why I love Jazz. We are so bond to each other. former players always try to help new jazz players. go jazzzz

Great idea, Eaton was a great rim defender.

Speaking of which, how are Malone and Favors getting along?....

It almost seems to be a fad around here to get involved in a players development and then once the pub dies down, disappear. Well, that's ok, as long as Gobert learns something, it's still worth it. And who knows, maybe Malone will get involved again during the summer, and Stock can show around whomever we have at the point some. What's Russell doing these days? Maybe Gordon...........

It almost seems to be a fad around here to get involved in a players development and then once the pub dies down, disappear. Well, that's ok, as long as Gobert learns something, it's still worth it. And who knows, maybe Malone will get involved again during the summer, and Stock can show around whomever we have at the point some. What's Russell doing these days? Maybe Gordon...........

Here are my mentor ideas:

Jarron Collins and Jeremy Evans
Antoine Carr and Trevor Booker
Hoffa and Jack Cooley
John Amaechi and Trey Burke

Actually, I think Antoine Carr would be an awesome big man coach for Favors.

I think Eaton has a chance to be a better mentor than Malone. Just mho.

I think the Jazz brass need to invite John Stockton in to work intensively with Exum, Trey, and Cotton (who I really hope to keep around for a while). Malone could come in and work with Favors and Booker. And Eaton could put in some work with Rudy and which ever Euro prospect we bring over. I'd say Horny should work with Burks, Hayward, and Hood but I doubt that'll happen.

Imagine if Stock, Karl, and Mark all came in and put in a solid week with these guys this summer. Here's hoping.

I can see how this session will go:

Eaton - "Okay, first thing you do is put your hands up."
Gobert - "Okay."
Eaton - "Second thing - jump every so slightly off the ground."
Gobert - "Okay."
Eaton - "Third thing - **** Kevin Johnson."
Gobert - "Yes sir."

I can see how this session will go:

Eaton - "Okay, first thing you do is put your hands up."
Gobert - "Okay."
Eaton - "Second thing - jump every so slightly off the ground."
Gobert - "Okay."
Eaton - "Third thing - **** Kevin Johnson."
Gobert - "Yes sir."

*Rudy leaves the gym to run for mayor of Sacramento*

I think Eaton has a chance to be a better mentor than Malone. Just mho.

Eaton teaching Gobert low post moves? How can he teach what he never had?
Mountain Man would have better success teaching Rudy the finer art of auto repair.

Yeah I'm kinda with stifle on this. Not sure how much this will help gobert. They are both big dudes but such vastly different players. I really don't see rudy getting much out of this.

Let me put it this way. Kanter worked with Karl. Obvi not looking for low post moves from Eaton.

Eaton is a far less volatile personality than Karl. That always worried me about the guys spending time with him.

They're two totally different players and the NBA has changed radically. Eaton could bully people with his size. Fouls didn't get called for light to medium contact. Now fouls get called if you just brush a player's jersey.

But anything that makes Rudy feel like part of the Jazz family is a positive. Look at how much Exum looks up to Ingles (was his first autograph). I'll bet Rudy has a lot of respect for Mark. So if he can learn just one thing from Mark, whatever that may be, it will be worth it.

You know, after watching the highlights, Eaton did have a serviceable hook. And perhaps he can work with Gobert on developing his strength so he can block out on rebounds.

Maybe Mark can help Rudy with his annoying habit of NOT bringing the ball down to his knees every time he catches a pass or a rebound.

The mentorship is just PR spin. What's going on is Mark is looking to create a sister restaurant spin-off of Tuscany that will serve fine French cuisine. He's the mentee.