What's new

The Chess Thread

JazzMan4Life

Contributor
Chess is an awesome game with a vast history that evolves and entertains to this day.
Do any of y'all play?
Any thoughts on the state of chess right now?
Any thoughts on the "scandals" in the last couple years?

I saw Searching for Bobby Fisher in theaters. That's about it.

I also saw The Fisher King in theaters. It's not related to Searching for Bobby Fisher, but the association came to my mind and I saw them both in theaters in the early 90s. I remember The Fisher King being weird, probably also hard for me to process it was I was about 7 and haven't seen it since.

I saw Searching for Bobby Fisher in theaters. That's about it.

I also saw The Fisher King in theaters. It's not related to Searching for Bobby Fisher, but the association came to my mind and I saw them both in theaters in the early 90s. I remember The Fisher King being weird, probably also hard for me to process it was I was about 7 and haven't seen it since.
Well put The Queen's Gambit on your watchlist and you'll be a chess expert.

I also watched the Fisher King when I was young, I'd have been in my early teens, and I had no idea wtf I was watching. I was expecting a comedy I think, but it was just weird.

Well put The Queen's Gambit on your watchlist and you'll be a chess expert.

I also watched the Fisher King when I was young, I'd have been in my early teens, and I had no idea wtf I was watching. I was expecting a comedy I think, but it was just weird.
Perhaps that was the OG Robin Williams movie that you watch thinking it’s a comedy.

I think these masters playing anonymously like Magnus and Fisher is cool. I’d do the same if I had any talent at all. How else would you keep the game fun?

We had a chess thread once long ago I believe. Look my up on lichess. We can play a few games.

I think these masters playing anonymously like Magnus and Fisher is cool. I’d do the same if I had any talent at all. How else would you keep the game fun?
Every GM has alts online to keep things fresh, but it's funny you mentioned two of the GOATS who famously gave up their world champ titles because they didn't think it was worth it.

Fischer invented 960 chess IIRC, because he hated the idea of memorizing moves and Magnus would rather make more money and have more fun streaming and playing drunk chess than spending all day studying theory.

Every GM has alts online to keep things fresh, but it's funny you mentioned two of the GOATS who famously gave up their world champ titles because they didn't think it was worth it.

Fischer invented 960 chess IIRC, because he hated the idea of memorizing moves and Magnus would rather make more money and have more fun streaming and playing drunk chess than spending all day studying theory.
That's about right. Fisher felt like it had become a game of memorization, not entirely just who was better at chess tactics and strategy. So he invented Fisher Random chess to eliminate the preparation and memorization. Fisher Random is crazy fun but really tough. You need to see everything from the outset. Imo it really is a better measure of a chess player. But at the highest levels since they now study with game engines that far surpass the very best human players, they can get to far into the theory that often the game doesn't really start for 20 moves or more. Watch agadmator on YouTube. He points out where the game becomes a new game, where the position is truly new and unique. It's wild how often that gets into the late teens of moves before it's really a new game.

The chess puzzles and chess study on lichess are great ways to improve you game. But I find I get better when I use the game analysis tools to see what mistakes I and my opponent made during actual games played.

One of the two, can’t remember which, would play speed chess and make seemingly bad moves only to recover in miraculous fashion and win. Probably for the challenge and maybe the wow factor of doing something splendid and breaking from standard chess strategy.

That’s why I mention those two. Those two stick out to me for some reason.

I should play Chess960 though. That could be fun.

The chess puzzles and chess study on lichess are great ways to improve you game. But I find I get better when I use the game analysis tools to see what mistakes I and my opponent made during actual games played.
Any thoughts on lichess VS chess.com?

I love how lichess is open source and free, but chess.com has recently added some great things that couldn't be done without funding.

One of the two, can’t remember which, would play speed chess and make seemingly bad moves only to recover in miraculous fashion and win. Probably for the challenge and maybe the wow factor of doing something splendid and breaking from standard chess strategy.

That’s why I mention those two. Those two stick out to me for some reason.

I should play Chess960 though. That could be fun.
I'm not sure, but Magnus is known for his miraculous endgame techniques, especially in speed chess. The only other person with those traits would be the multiple time US champ Hikaru Nakamura. Hikaru is probably the best defender of all time IMHO.

If anybody wants to play me on lichess or chess.com
I'd be happy to get my *** handed to me and learn something.
I'm probably ~1000 rating OTB

Speaking of OTB (over the board) has anyone here played in an actual chess tournament?
I see the Utah Chess Association has events every now and then. I'd love to get my *** kicked by some 10 year old just for the love of the game.