What's new

Trouble outside

Growlor

We have been squalking for months about our need for a pg. After watching the young future of the Jazz recently, including last night with Mo back, I wonder if our greatest need is an all-star caliber PG or an all-star caliber SF? I am not sure Carroll is the answer there anymore than Mo is the solution at PG.
After seeing Mo do a decent job, and watching Burks progress at PG recently I am thinking filling the hole at SF if a more pressing need.

Carroll, Marvin... even Millsap, arent going to fill the gap to the level necessary to get us out of the first round.
That said... Can Mo and Alec run the point well enough to get us out of the first round?

Burks isn't a pg. He is a sg. He will always be a mediocre PG or a very, very effective SG. Same with Hayward. He is a much, much better SG than SF. Millsap as well. Millsap is a PF, not a SF.

Carroll is a fantastic piece to have and I hope the Jazz sign him for the next 2-3 years. However Carroll was never the answer for the starting SF problem. I also think a PG rotation of Mo/Burks/Tinsley and a SG rotation of Hayward/Burks is better than anything we have going on at SF.

I think either a PG or a SF will greatly help the Jazz but I think we are weaker at SF.

Carroll is a fantastic piece to have and I hope the Jazz sign him for the next 2-3 years. However Carroll was never the answer for the starting SF problem. I also think a PG rotation of Mo/Burks/Tinsley and a SG rotation of Hayward/Burks is better than anything we have going on at SF.

I think either a PG or a SF will greatly help the Jazz but I think we are weaker at SF.

I agree that Burks isn't a natural PG, but the above rotation is better than anything we have at SF... including playing Hayward or Millsap at the position as a starter.

The Jazz offense depends on a ball controlling pg and a pf/c scorer. SF has always been another option in the Jazz offense. Of course Ty is never going to change the Jazz offense so PG is always going to be more important.

Jose Calderon is starting to become the new AK as far as overrated players some Jazz fans want.

I think the Jazz need to upgrade both their PG/SF/SG position. Carroll is a very good bench player and should be the back up SF. So that means Hayward either starts and we don't need an upgrade or Hayward plays the SG and Jazz still need a starting SF.

As far as PG goes I think Burks can be our backup so he gets enough minutes because if Hayward moves to SG then Burks is relegated to being our backup SG or PG. I prefer having Burks at SG, Hayward at SF, Kanter at PF and Favors at center so the Jazz need a PG.

Both Burks and Hayward allow flexibility because they can play two positions. Carroll certainly deserves to play more than say Marvin Williams. However, if Carroll wants a big contract then I would say the Jazz need to draft a SF.

I think the Jazz should concentrate on upgrading the PG/SF but if there is another C (WCS) available I would take him and not re-sign AL or Millsap.

Until Carrolle quits his stupid Earl Watson Gamble Defense, I don't think he's anything more than a bench player.

Until Carrolle quits his stupid Earl Watson Gamble Defense, I don't think he's anything more than a bench player.

That hustle and willingness to take chances is what has turned Carroll's career around. Carroll should be on the second unit as the backup SF.

He needs to be on the 2nd team guarding 2nd team players.

I agree that is the place Carroll should be. However look at who is in front of Carroll on the rotation. Marvin Williams. Marvin has totaled 9 pts, 12 rebs, 3 ast, 3 blocks and 1 steal over the last 4 games combined. Starter quality? Hell no. Get a legit startign SF and put Carroll on the 2nd unit where he is most effective.

That hustle and willingness to take chances is what has turned Carroll's career around. Carroll should be on the second unit as the backup SF.

He needs to get rid of "the willingness to take chances" part and focus more on the "don't let your own man get a wide open 3" part.

I agree that is the place Carroll should be. However look at who is in front of Carroll on the rotation. Marvin Williams. Marvin has totaled 9 pts, 12 rebs, 3 ast, 3 blocks and 1 steal over the last 4 games combined. Starter quality? Hell no. Get a legit startign SF and put Carroll on the 2nd unit where he is most effective.

I dont know the answer to what I'm about to say so dont kill me guys. Ok. Marvin has been sucking butt on offense for awhile, but was he still playing solid D? Is he keeping his man in front of him, not getting beat back door? Is he playing starter quality D? I dont know if he is or not, does anyone have anything to back either position up?

He needs to get rid of "the willingness to take chances" part and focus more on the "don't let your own man get a wide open 3" part.

I think if that happens you will see Carroll's numbers all go down. Yes taking chances works better on the second unit.

I dont know the answer to what I'm about to say so dont kill me guys. Ok. Marvin has been sucking butt on offense for awhile, but was he still playing solid D? Is he keeping his man in front of him, not getting beat back door? Is he playing starter quality D? I dont know if he is or not, does anyone have anything to back either position up?

The last game, from what I saw, was that he was playing below average D. I was not impressed as I saw his man work him a little.

I always think that Marvin plays starter quality D as a 3 but that's just me. Can't really use a whole lot of numbers to back it up because his offense sucks real bad.

I always think that Marvin plays starter quality D as a 3 but that's just me. Can't really use a whole lot of numbers to back it up because his offense sucks real bad.

His D is good but maybe he just had an off night. It looked like he was struggling a little on D as well.