What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

No rookke you draft is going to come in and be able to create their own shot to the extent it actually helps you win games.
True. I'm just looking down the road.

I wouldn't hate it either if they trade the pick for a youngish player that can facilitate a little bit. Deni, Dyson Daniels, even someone like Mobley has potential as a frontcourt hub (even though Cavs stopped trying to develop that after they acquired Don). I would think a team like the Pels would have serious interest in Clingan who will be long gone before they pick.

This is what Vecenie posted in the Athletic a few weeks ago regarding AJ Johnson fwiw:

https://theathletic.com/5382764/202...-connecticut/?access_token=12609&redirected=1

A.J. Johnson, 6-7 wing, Illawarra Hawks, No. 29​

I got to see Johnson work out in Santa Barbara, Calif., recently, and it was every bit as impressive as one could have hoped.

We’ll talk about some of the limitations I saw in a second, but Johnson’s ability to get to spots as a scorer in a fluid, on-balance manner is real. His jumper is mechanically sound both off the catch and bounce. He worked on getting into the shot from different footwork from both sides of the court, and while the jumper looked a bit more well-developed in terms of rhythm from the left side — this isn’t uncommon for young, right-handed players, as it’s a bit easier to get into shots off the hop, particularly on stepbacks, from the left side — everything looks clean and pure enough to where Johnson should be a very high-level shooter down the road.

Johnson came into his time at Illawarra in the ballpark of 6-5 to 6-6. Seeing him stand next to Ron Holland, who is around 6-7 1/2 in shoes, was an eye-opener, as he looked about as tall as Holland. I asked Johnson after his workout if he’d grown during his time in Australia, and he said yes, and multiple sources both in the United States and around the NBL confirmed Johnson’s account that he has grown a bit since the last time many American audiences saw him in high school. Johnson’s measurements will likely be among the more coveted by NBA personnel; if he’s grown into that 6-7 range as it seems he has, it opens up many more avenues for his success. Instead of being more of a guard, it can realistically slide Johnson down to the wing at some point in his career, especially given his wingspan that appears to be something in the ballpark of 6-11.

Part of the downside of workouts like this is that you don’t see players deal with contact. Right now, that’s Johnson’s biggest weakness. Still quite skinny with a frame that is likely under 180 pounds even with the work he put in this season, Johnson couldn’t deal well with the physical NBL on a night-to-night basis. He couldn’t consistently get to his spots because, once his momentum got stopped, he didn’t quite have the contact balance to be able to adjust. But Johnson’s shoulders are quite wide and make you believe his frame has room for a lot more growth. He just looks like a person who is still quite young and growing into his body.

The name that seemed most applicable when watching Johnson was the Trail Blazers’ Anfernee Simons, who entered the draft after a post-graduate year at IMG as opposed to heading to college despite the fact that his frame was not ready for the NBA. Simons took over a year to get on the court consistently as he filled out his 180-pound frame. But he played in his second season, and by the start of his fourth season, he was a ready-made NBA scoring guard. Simons is a bit more explosive than Johnson, but Johnson is bigger and might have a bit more potential on the defensive end.

Johnson is going to take time. But seeing him in-person multiple times, as well as in that pre-draft workout, it’s clear the frame was his biggest impediment to success this season. Once his frame catches up to his gifts, Johnson has all the tools he needs to be this draft’s interesting high-upside swing in the late first or early second round.

I like him too but would have some concerns with a Kessler/Lauri/Holland frontcourt and it would potentially be the 2nd year draft in a row where they pick a guy in the top 8-9 who cannot create their own shot. They would seriously lack any playmaking/shot creation ability. Adding Hendricks to the mix doesn't solve that issue. Of course the Jazz are still in a spot where they just need to add talent/BPA and not worry so much about fit esp in this draft.
Creating his own shot is going to be the strength of Hollands game within his first few years. I also think his best position will end up being sg rather than sf.

I know Edey isn't a great athlete but I have a sneaky feeling he will be pretty good. It's just pretty rare for centers who produce that way in college to completely bust. He's massive and has good hands and a pretty good touch.

Even if he pans out as a Hartenstein type that's a nice, productive rotation big.

Some draft followers have Holland pretty high on their boards. It's not clear if he really dropped. However, Holland may ultimately be a complementary player--an off-ball slasher and defensive playmaker, rather than an initiator or go-to scorer. That might dampen his draft stock for some people.

I think it's fine to be skeptical of him being an initiator or go to scorer, but I still find it strange that people advertise Buzelis as that guy when he was objectively worse at those things on the same team.

I don't understand how Malique Lewis isn't firmly on the radar for all these mock draft guys. I don't think I have seen him mocked in a single draft.

I like him, don't think I'll go full blown Bilal love affair with him though. We might need to trade up in the mid teens for him though.
I think mid teens is probably where he goes. I'm not sure what it would take to get there but I would guess that we could do 29 or maybe even 32 to the Suns for Little and 22 to get a little closer to his range.

I think mid teens is probably where he goes. I'm not sure what it would take to get there but I would guess that we could do 29 or maybe even 32 to the Suns for Little and 22 to get a little closer to his range.

Sengun might be a reference point. He was drafted 16 and was traded for two "fake" highly protected first rounders that only became real if either DET or WAS did really well.

This is what Vecenie posted in the Athletic a few weeks ago regarding AJ Johnson fwiw:

https://theathletic.com/5382764/202...-connecticut/?access_token=12609&redirected=1

A.J. Johnson, 6-7 wing, Illawarra Hawks, No. 29​

I got to see Johnson work out in Santa Barbara, Calif., recently, and it was every bit as impressive as one could have hoped.

We’ll talk about some of the limitations I saw in a second, but Johnson’s ability to get to spots as a scorer in a fluid, on-balance manner is real. His jumper is mechanically sound both off the catch and bounce. He worked on getting into the shot from different footwork from both sides of the court, and while the jumper looked a bit more well-developed in terms of rhythm from the left side — this isn’t uncommon for young, right-handed players, as it’s a bit easier to get into shots off the hop, particularly on stepbacks, from the left side — everything looks clean and pure enough to where Johnson should be a very high-level shooter down the road.

Johnson came into his time at Illawarra in the ballpark of 6-5 to 6-6. Seeing him stand next to Ron Holland, who is around 6-7 1/2 in shoes, was an eye-opener, as he looked about as tall as Holland. I asked Johnson after his workout if he’d grown during his time in Australia, and he said yes, and multiple sources both in the United States and around the NBL confirmed Johnson’s account that he has grown a bit since the last time many American audiences saw him in high school. Johnson’s measurements will likely be among the more coveted by NBA personnel; if he’s grown into that 6-7 range as it seems he has, it opens up many more avenues for his success. Instead of being more of a guard, it can realistically slide Johnson down to the wing at some point in his career, especially given his wingspan that appears to be something in the ballpark of 6-11.

Part of the downside of workouts like this is that you don’t see players deal with contact. Right now, that’s Johnson’s biggest weakness. Still quite skinny with a frame that is likely under 180 pounds even with the work he put in this season, Johnson couldn’t deal well with the physical NBL on a night-to-night basis. He couldn’t consistently get to his spots because, once his momentum got stopped, he didn’t quite have the contact balance to be able to adjust. But Johnson’s shoulders are quite wide and make you believe his frame has room for a lot more growth. He just looks like a person who is still quite young and growing into his body.

The name that seemed most applicable when watching Johnson was the Trail Blazers’ Anfernee Simons, who entered the draft after a post-graduate year at IMG as opposed to heading to college despite the fact that his frame was not ready for the NBA. Simons took over a year to get on the court consistently as he filled out his 180-pound frame. But he played in his second season, and by the start of his fourth season, he was a ready-made NBA scoring guard. Simons is a bit more explosive than Johnson, but Johnson is bigger and might have a bit more potential on the defensive end.

Johnson is going to take time. But seeing him in-person multiple times, as well as in that pre-draft workout, it’s clear the frame was his biggest impediment to success this season. Once his frame catches up to his gifts, Johnson has all the tools he needs to be this draft’s interesting high-upside swing in the late first or early second round.

His minutes were limited in the NBL, but his ability to drive and fly to the rim reminds me a bit of Kevin Porter Jr. He's going to be able to get past defenders and attack the paint. His ability to put pressure on the rim alone should make him a first-round prospect, imo.

I know Edey isn't a great athlete but I have a sneaky feeling he will be pretty good. It's just pretty rare for centers who produce that way in college to completely bust. He's massive and has good hands and a pretty good touch.

Even if he pans out as a Hartenstein type that's a nice, productive rotation big.

He's like Steven Adams physically, just bigger and a somewhat slower. He's going to force teams to play a certain style--more deliberate and less up-and-down on offense, while covering the perimeter well enough on defense that he doesn't need to come out of drop coverage. He's going to be gawdam immovable though. Just a wall.

I don't understand how Malique Lewis isn't firmly on the radar for all these mock draft guys. I don't think I have seen him mocked in a single draft.
Because NBA teams dont respect the G-League at all. If he does well at the G-League Camp he has a chance.

KOC has updated his mock and board.

Has Djurisic at 17, Dadiet at 18, Chomche at 24, Flowers at 25 as his big standout changes. Moved Castle down to 3 below Sarr/Topic at 1/2.

Has us taking Castle at 8, Kyshawn George at 29, and McCullar at 32.

I like him, don't think I'll go full blown Bilal love affair with him though. We might need to trade up in the mid teens for him though.
No way he goes in the teens... no way.

JK just trying to recreate being wrong on a french wing's draft position.

Was listening to the No Ceilings mailbag today and they compared Holland to Corey Brewer and said he wouldn't have gone top 20 last year

I feel validated