What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Is there some Carter to Memphis buzz?

His dad Anthony Carter is on their coaching staff, which is why Devin has been rumored to go there pretty consistently. He's also a good fit as a third guard since the Grizzlies lost DeAnthony Melton a couple years back. Unless the Grizzlies take Edey, Devin Carter is probably the betting favorite.

I'm still hoping we pull something off for Reed or Castle.

The options appear to be: A) trade up with Houston for Sheppard or Castle, B) trade up with Detroit for Williams, or C) sit at 10 and wait for Holland or Topic to fall to them. Last week, David Locke seemed to be prepping his listeners for the Jazz to take Williams or Holland at #10, whichever is still available. Maybe there's an option to trade up to #8 or #9 to secure someone, but I don't know who that would be--Salaun? Knecht?

Jazz can probably trade up if they're motivated. It's just the cost-benefit analysis.

Last edited:

The Athletic's latest mock draft from last week predicted Williams to Detroit: "While it’s tough to get an idea of what Detroit might do here make the pick or trade it because it just hired a new president of basketball operations in Trajan Langdon, the type of player coveted might be somewhat obvious. If you look at how Langdon and his former team, the New Orleans Pelicans, drafted over the last few seasons, there was an attraction to tall, long wings with shooting upside and legitimate switchability on defense... To me, Cody Williams is the closest to that archetype available at No. 5. The Pistons recently worked out Matas Buzelis, league sources tell The Athletic, which could mean something or nothing at all, but Williams feels like a Langdon-type player based on who is available in this draft and what the Pelicans coveted in prospects."

I'd hate it if Jazz traded up to 5, only to pick Williams, while Castle still on the board. For me, I'd want Sheppard at 3, and Castle at 5 if the Jazz do decide to trade up.

Castle may well be taken #4 by San Antonio. If the Jazz really want Castle, they probably need to trade with Houston.

I can see the appeal of Reed Sheppard if you're basically betting on him being the next Mark Price.
yes, exactly. I don't think he's Mark Price. He's nowhere near as good as Price was off the dribble. I think Castle and Rishacher are both guys who are going to be good NBA players even at their floor, which is why I like them so much for the Jazz. They won't have to hit a ceiling to be good and productive players. Almost everyone else in this draft are not in that same boat

Quick Mock Draft Per Rumors...

1 ATL - Risacher
2 WAS - Sarr
3 HOU - Sheppard
4 SAS - Castle
5 DET - Williams
6 CHA - Buzelis
7 POR - Clingan
8 SAS - Salaun
9 MEM - Carter

If the Jazz stay at 10, they are likely looking at Knecht, Holland, Topic or Edey, unless they just spontaneously fall in love with McCain. Both Holland and McCain are working out with the Jazz this week. Edey and Knecht worked out with the Jazz last week. If it were me, I think the smartest pick in this scenario would be Topic, pending his medicals check out. Some people really love Ron Holland though.
Bub Carrington should be on the list at 10 if that’s how the draft turns out.

Knecht is way too old. Lack of upside.
Holland lack of shooting.
Topic lack of shooting,
Edey too many questions around fit and flexibility. Also old.

yes, exactly. I don't think he's Mark Price. He's nowhere near as good as Price was off the dribble. I think Castle and Rishacher are both guys who are going to be good NBA players even at their floor, which is why I like them so much for the Jazz. They won't have to hit a ceiling to be good and productive players. Almost everyone else in this draft are not in that same boat

I think the hope with Sheppard is that he does become more dynamic off the dribble, plays off screens, relocates, etc. If he’s functionally more like a FVV, that’s okay too, but I’m not sure that makes him a top 3 guy.

I think the hope with Sheppard is that he does become more dynamic off the dribble, plays off screens, relocates, etc. If he’s functionally more like a FVV, that’s okay too, but I’m not sure that makes him a top 3 guy.
Shepperd's ceiling comp is Devin Booker.

You'd grab that with both arms in this draft.

Not sure why noone else had made this comparison, and we're nearly 400 pages into the thread.

Givony has this for the Jazz.

10: Topic
29: Baylor Scheierman (with a later note that Utah seems to like Dadiet)
32: Bobi Klintman

I’ve never heard of Klintman, but I like the other two. I like the idea of taking Topic and tanking for Flagg or somebody.

Givony has this for the Jazz.

10: Topic
29: Baylor Scheierman (with a later note that Utah seems to like Dadiet)
32: Bobi Klintman

I’ve never heard of Klintman, but I like the other two. I like the idea of taking Topic and tanking for Flagg or somebody.
Topic can't shoot. In today's NBA that's suicide.

And to have to wait around a whole year for him to heal up?

Hard pass.

This Topic can't shoot stuff is going overboard. He isn't consistent yet but he has a good shooting stroke and I would be surprised if he doesn't improve his consistency. I don't think we are looking at a Rubio situation with him where it is always a liability.

It "suggests" he can shoot?

We suffered a whole crappy season to hang our hat on an estimation that his FT% "suggests" he can shoot?

oh boy.

Why not take someone who can ALREADY shoot? Bub Carrington shoots lights out and he'll be available at #10.

FT% is actually the best indicator of whether a player will be able to shoot from 3pt range.

It "suggests" he can shoot?

We suffered a whole crappy season to hang our hat on an estimation that his FT% "suggests" he can shoot?

oh boy.

Why not take someone who can ALREADY shoot? Bub Carrington shoots lights out and he'll be available at #10.
I'm really high on Carrington but he doesn't shoot the lights out. I do think he will end up being a solid shooter but this year he shot 32% from 3 which is bad for a guard. He was really streaky where he would have solid stretches which gives you some hope for where he can get to.

Back