What's new

BYU suspension policy questions

franklin

Can anyone familiar with this process explain to me why Brandon Doman is shaming Spencer Hadley for handling this private spiritual matter with his ecclesiastic leader and the BYU hall monitors instead of with Prophet Bronco?

Sounds bat **** crazy to me to expect players to go to the coach after necking with Suzie Q or accidentally tripping over a beer stand and swallowing a few glasses.

Can anyone familiar with this process explain to me why Brandon Doman is shaming Spencer Hadley for handling this private spiritual matter with his ecclesiastic leader and the BYU hall monitors instead of with Prophet Bronco?

Sounds bat **** crazy to me to expect players to go to the coach after necking with Suzie Q or accidentally tripping over a beer stand and swallowing a few glasses.

I was a BYU student but never a football player so here is what I know.

There are two separate processes happening at the same time.

The Football Team (Basically Mendenhall) can decide who is active and who is suspended.

The Honor Code is the same office that handles all students. I don't know all the details but here is what I infer happened.

Hadley was working with his Bishop on something. As a part of repenting the Bishop either encouraged Hadley to self-report or the Bishop reported him. (The third possibility is another student reported him.)

Because Hadley is a football player, the HC office contacted Mendenhall. (It is possible that Hadley came to Bronco too.) Bronco decided to suspend Hadley. (In other cases like Brandon Davies they player went directly to the coach first.)

Because Hadley is still technically a member of the team and enrolled at BYU whatever he did isn't that bad.

I guess Doman is criticizing Hadley for not coming to Bronco directly. Hmm the more I think about it, Hadley must have been dealing with this for a while and finally decided to tell Bronco. Based on the standards of the team Bronco suspended him.

I suspect the same thing would happen to any student athletes as well as members of dance, band etc.

Fair enough but these players enter into this agreement willingly. As such they should be held to the standard they agreed to. If they do not like it than fine, go somewhere else.

I was a BYU student but never a football player so here is what I know.

There are two separate processes happening at the same time.

The Football Team (Basically Mendenhall) can decide who is active and who is suspended.

The Honor Code is the same office that handles all students. I don't know all the details but here is what I infer happened.

Hadley was working with his Bishop on something. As a part of repenting the Bishop either encouraged Hadley to self-report or the Bishop reported him. (The third possibility is another student reported him.)

Because Hadley is a football player, the HC office contacted Mendenhall. (It is possible that Hadley came to Bronco too.) Bronco decided to suspend Hadley. (In other cases like Brandon Davies they player went directly to the coach first.)

Because Hadley is still technically a member of the team and enrolled at BYU whatever he did isn't that bad.

I guess Doman is criticizing Hadley for not coming to Bronco directly. Hmm the more I think about it, Hadley must have been dealing with this for a while and finally decided to tell Bronco. Based on the standards of the team Bronco suspended him.

I suspect the same thing would happen to any student athletes as well as members of dance, band etc.

That's pretty much how I viewed it. Seems self-righteous for Doman to shame a young kid for not talking directly with Bronco instead of a bishop. It's a kid!

Some of these ex-players and hardcore fans calling in 97.5 today come across as unforgiving and cold. I don't see how that represents a Christian institution well at all.

That's pretty much how I viewed it. Seems self-righteous for Doman to shame a young kid for not talking directly with Bronco instead of a bishop. It's a kid!

Some of these ex-players and hardcore fans calling in 97.5 today come across as unforgiving and cold. I don't see how that represents a Christian institution well at all.

What was the quote.... the problem with Christianity is all the Christians. Something like that.

Well I don't know if you can consider Hadley a kid. He served a mission and has played 3 years. So that makes him 23-24.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/spencer-hadley

I heard if you read the inappropriate part 2 thread you will get suspended from BYU, if you like or rep in it you will get expelled, and posting in it might get you excommunicated.

I bet he was fantasizing about growing a mustache and it got a bit messy. Probably couldn't live with the guilt.

What was the quote.... the problem with Christianity is all the Christians. Something like that.

Well I don't know if you can consider Hadley a kid. He served a mission and has played 3 years. So that makes him 23-24.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/spencer-hadley

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mahatma Gandhi

This could have been the quote you were thinking of.

The problem with making judgements about this issue is none of us know the whole story. Doman and everyone else probably should have kept their mouth shut about the issue as they also don't have the whole story. Unless Hadley has an issue with how it was handled and wants to talk about it to someone, or of the Honor Code office, or Bronco want to talk about the issue they might have some insight. Otherwise anything someone on the outside says about it is just as likely to be wrong as right.

Sure there are times that situations look to be handled in an unChristian way, when we only have partial information to make a judgement on.

I heard if you read the inappropriate part 2 thread you will get suspended from BYU, if you like or rep in it you will get expelled, and posting in it might get you excommunicated.

That's why I don't read that thread, they'll take my beard card if they find out I've been fraternizing with you slimeballs and reading the filth you post.
If you say it's inappropriate, it must be really bad.
My eyes might be burned up ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't want that to be the last thing I ever see.

That's why I don't read that thread, they'll take my beard card if they find out I've been fraternizing with you slimeballs and reading the filth you post.
If you say it's inappropriate, it must be really bad.
My eyes might be burned up ala Raiders of the Lost Ark. I don't want that to be the last thing I ever see.

No we are not SAYING it is inappropriate we are ASKING if it is inappropriate, and we need some stick up the *** types, *cough* like yourself *cough*, to judge for us. Be a pal! Heck Moe has even posted in there. It is a little scary at first, but you get used to it.

spiderandthefly.png

No we are not SAYING it is inappropriate we are ASKING if it is inappropriate, and we need some stick up the *** types, *cough* like yourself *cough*, to judge for us. Be a pal! Heck Moe has even posted in there. It is a little scary at first, but you get used to it.

spiderandthefly.png

Oh, if you are asking, then it's inappropriate. Will you be a pal and let everyone in that thread know, tia.

If you're shocked Moe is posting in that thread, you don't know her very well, she's not squeamish.

Nice try though LogDawg, and no I will not buy that miracle tonic from you.