What's new

Can players play elsewhere in a lockout? Should they?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
OK I am a bit fuzzy on the lockout. Sorry if this has been addressed but I haven't seen it yet.

If there is a lockout next season, does it include the NBDL? Or to the d-league teams continue to play?

Also does the lockout mean that players cannot play ANYWHERE or just not in the NBA?

So would it be worth it to send a draft pick or other players to the d-league in the event of a lockout? Or even europe if we could work some deal with a euro team? I know when a normal strike is happening the displaced workers can take jobs elsewhere until their dispute with management gets resolved. Would this kind of thing be an option, and if so should we take advantage?

Personally I would hope they would find a way to keep the young guys developing if they could. Whether that would be d-league or europe or whatever. I would like to see what a lineup of Hayward, Evans, Favors and *draft pickk* would do in Orem. Wow.

NBDL will be on lockout as well as it is a subsidiary of the NBA. Europe leagues would be the only viable option.

Can they? Yes.

Should they?

Well. They're the ones being locked out, so it wouldn't necessarily be crossing the picket line. Risk of injury exists. There are good arguments for both.

(for some reason, it's not allowing the posts I'm quoting to show)

in response to the questions about the D-League and the WNBA - are they subject to the terms of the NBA - CBA? I know the NBA rookies who are sent to the D-League by their NBA teams would be, but the D-League also has its own structure apart from its NBA-affiliated teams, and it does its own draft. I have no idea if the D-League as a whole, or the WNBA are subject to the same CBA as the NBA is. Personally, I don't think so.

If a tree falls in the woods with nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yea, that was the point of my "joke".
Some people don't get jokes I guess - (neg reppers)
We should add a sarcasm smiley to this place to tip people off.

...if an NBA player with too many jailhouse tats scraps one off with a broken beer bottle...does he bleed to death???

prospector.jpg

I'm hoping they come play in Europe(if the season does shut down) so I can see them.
Still hope it doesn't come to that though.

Really excited to see our new draft picks, and Favors/Hayward after one year under their belt.

I'm hoping they come play in Europe(if the season does shut down) so I can see them.
Still hope it doesn't come to that though.

Wouldn't that prolong the lockout?

The NHL lost an entire season which some attributied to half the league going to Europe to play hockey.

Im not sure, if playing anywhere else is in their contract, but if it isn't, the players should be allowed to play anywhere they want...

I remember Marko Milic came over from the Suns to my club Fenerbahce during the lockout. He eventually returned when the lockout ended and played briefly for the Suns again.

If the player is under contract, I do not think that he will be allowed to play in Europe due to injury risk. However, I can imagine players like Andrei Kirilenko, whose contract will expire this summer, would play in Europe.

I think that those who have contract obligations would not be able to play in leagues that mutually recongnize each others contracts. Kind of like Rubio not being able to just jump over to Minasota. I dont know for sure, but that would make sense unless they have something specific written into the cba that dictates what can happen if a lockout happens.
Or they could just go to some of the smaller leagues that dont have some kind of contract agreement with each other.

If the player is under contract, I do not think that he will be allowed to play in Europe due to injury risk. However, I can imagine players like Andrei Kirilenko, whose contract will expire this summer, would play in Europe.

Believe this is correct. Only free agents will be allowed to play elsewhere. Perhaps Price will go play in Europe and never come back? DL and WNBA i believe have separate CBAs so they will continue to operate.

https://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=18640

Look at the second story on this page titled "Europe Is Not An Option".

The gist of it is just that European teams in a FIBA league will honor NBA contracts, and therefore no NBA player under contract will be able to play in Europe.

Free agents and rookies who have not yet signed their first contracts would be able to play over there, but would have to sign a contract with the European team that might limit their options in returning to the NBA after the lockout ends.

I believe I also once read an article talking about the players potentially being able to get around this by decertifying the Players Union, but that that would also have some negative consequences and so wasn't likely to happen.