Numberica

Kyle Lowry - Kendall Marshall
Alec Burks - Manu Ginobli
Andre Iguodala - Jimmy Butler
Dirk Nowitzki - Shanning Frye
Marc Gasol - Rudy Gobert

Hotttnickkk's case:

Offensive Philosophy

This team will play inside-out basketball, but can also get out in transition and run and finish strong at the rim. Inside scorers include Tim Duncan and David West who are proven post scorers, surrounded by quality clutch 3 point shooters to spread the floor (Thompson 42%, Gordon 38%, Pierce 37%, Lawson 36%, Wall 35%). There is plenty of passing with John Wall and Ty Lawson who each averages 8.8 assists per game last season.

Defensive Philosophy

Tim Duncan and Tyson Chandler will anchor the defense in the starting lineup. Nothing more needs to be said about these 2 defensively. In the 2nd unit, Kevin Garnett will play the pivot and will organise the defensive strategy. His presence and intensity alone makes the team better defensively.

Match-up with NUMBERICA

- John Wall/Ty Lawson >>> Lowry/Marshall

- Thompson/Gordon >> Burks/Ginobili

- DeRozan/Pierce >> Iguodala/Butler

- Duncan/West/Chandler/Garnett = Nowitzki/Frye/Gasol/Gobert

Starting in the backcourt, Wall/Lawson would dominate the Lowry/Marshall pairing. Marshall is really the weak link here - he is a fringe player in the NBA - waived by the Lakers & playing for the Bucks next year.

Thompson >> Burks. Burks only started 12 games in his ENTIRE NBA career and is out of place here in the starting lineup, he is better as a scoring option off the bench. Thompson represents in the USA in the World Cup and is thriving, he is a much more complete player and would dominate.

DeRozan >> Iguodala. In their only meeting last season, DeRozan went off for 32 points vs Iguodala (who scored 8 pts). Iguodala only averaged 9 pts last season and is clearly on the decline, DeRozan is poised for another BIG season.

In the front court, Duncan/Chandler will contain Nowitzki/Gasol in the starting lineup. Off the bench, David West will dominate Frye in the half court - easy basket every trip down the floor for West.

While the front court is evenly matched, my backcourt is clearly more talented and is on the way up, and should take this match-up 4-2 in a 7 game series.

Numberica's case:

-Nowitski and Gasol are a dynamic force inside and out on offense. Gasol's unique pairing of his skill-set and size allow everything to work.
-All the perimeter players can hit an open three, at minimum. Burks and Iggy are there to take advantage of the starting lineup's spacing through penetration.
-the two wings on the All-NBA defensive first team are on my team. And they aren't unidimensional

My arguments specific to this matchup consist of:
-Bigs: How long can you play Tim Duncan? Tyson Chandler is an overrated player at this point in his career. Kevin Garnett just was not very good last year and he's certainly going to be worse than that if he even plays this upcoming year (I looked at taking him in round 10 because of his skill-set and name-presence but the numbers just don't bear out a very good player).
-I'm not convinced that DeRozan and Wall can play off the ball (both are higher usage players than anyone I have on my team) or are sufficient shooters (Wall has finished one season above 33% from 3 and is only two seasons removed from shooting 7% from 3, and DeRozan has NEVER shot above 33% from 3). Generally speaking - and I suppose this can be said of all fantasy teams - there's not enough ball for the players to get the numbers that they put up.
-Perimeter defense isn't bad, but it's not good.

But I'm not going to sit here and say his team isn't good, because it's one of the best in the tournament.

Last edited:
Also FWIW, Frye and Marshall are the 9th/10th guys on the roster and can be shortened out of the rotation.

Hotttnickkk 4-2, due to the overall depth factor and the scoring power of the 2's. Nickkk also has small edge at 3 and 4

numbs foreign bigs get my vote..... also LOVE gino and butler off the bench.