What's new

General McChrystal's comments

One of the most surprising aspects of this story is that it makes Rolling Stone magazine look relevant.

I haven't read the Rolling Stone story -- just the Wall Street Journal's editorial on the topic. I don't actually have a firm opinion yet on the matter. Here's the Wall Street Journal story:

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704853404575322800914018876.html

By ELIOT A. COHEN

Gen. Stanley McChrystal is a hero—a selfless, fearless and inspiring soldier. He is also something of a military genius. In Iraq, as commander of the Joint Special Operations Command from 2003-2008, he created an extraordinary military operation.

His command center—a vast open hall resembling the floor of a trading exchange—put long-haired civilian geeks next to wiry commandos, and together they uncovered, analyzed, pooled and acted on information that enabled soldiers to launch successful operations at a moment's notice. They did so in ways that only a few years ago would have required weeks of preparation and rehearsal. He is one of the fathers of victory in Iraq, because his organization dismantled the leadership of al Qaeda there. Few Americans know, or will know, how well he has served this country—and as a shrewd, humane commander, not merely a lethal one.

President Obama should, nonetheless, fire him....

From what I hear Douglas McArthur was hot **** too. What happened to him again?

Gen. Stanley McChrystal is a hero—a selfless, fearless and inspiring soldier. He is also something of a military genius. In Iraq, as commander of the Joint Special Operations Command from 2003-2008, he created an extraordinary military operation.

A hero, selfless, fearless, inspiring AND a military genius. Amazing :rolleyes:

And no, Douglas MacArthur was not hot ****. He was a show-pony.

Last edited:
A hero, selfless, fearless, inspiring AND a military genius. Amazing :rolleyes:

And no, Douglas MacArthur was not hot ****. He was a show-pony.

So we didn't win the war in the Pacific, then?

Is that my position? That MacArthur was such a poor commander that the Allies lost the Pacific War?

I was being a smart ***. I don't really need to debate the point. McArthur was a 5 star general in command of the PTO during WWII against a determined enemy, and however much he had to do with our success, we won. I don't know what it takes to be hot **** in your book, but in mine he qualifies.

The point being, he was highly regarded amongst the masses and he got canned for opening his yapper when the POTUS told him to shut it.

I don't know what it takes to be hot **** in your book, but in mine he qualifies.

The point being, he was highly regarded amongst the masses and he got canned for opening his yapper when the POTUS told him to shut it.

He should have been canned right after Bataan but besides the point I guess. I mostly just wanted to take the piss out of the absurdity of the WSJ lauding this McChrystal character like he was a hero of ancient myth or something.